Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering.

Views : 2725

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2017, 17:53   #31
SeeSeventy

Correct way up. So looking from the side of the car. That was just a brass pipe, flowing freely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18600517_10154869142924440_1729338883_n.jpg (36.9 KB, 13 views)
Old May 20th, 2017, 18:38   #32
brickman
Premier Member

There is an issue with some of them the feed line popping out, so pump ends up being slightly starved of fluid.

The 2000 and newer cars have a filter basket thing in there (or at least the US forums seem to suggest this is true) which should be taken out or at least cleaned in situe), always wondered if the reservoir on top of the pump style units have this as well. Going to strip mine in a few days as it won't stop groaning, also misbehaves when hot despite recent 3 litre worth of fresh ATF flushed through it
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:33   #33
SeeSeventy

Well it was tricky. But it's back on. I'll still do a rebuild kit just in case. I don't think I need to flush through just yet but will take it for a drive today and see how it fares after 20 mins.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 22:06   #34
SeeSeventy

Okay, so pipe on...

Now I have run it for a few days, things aren't sounding great still.

It still whines really bad and it now struggling a bit when turning left, a bit of a shudder and grumbling struggle, like it doesn't want to really go.

Rack re build kit it is.... doh!
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 22:16   #35
colwyn
Resident Ejit

Have you checked the lines for seepage, if air is being drawn in it will make noise, and not let any fluid out

ABS controller problems, give me a shout
colwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 22:10   #36
SeeSeventy

I haven't no. I've parked it up and SORNed it as such. I'm not spending the money or any more time on it and looking for a new vehicle now. I need a van anyway.

I don't think this is going to be a cheap fix sadly as everything seems in order now. Including a flush. I was quoted 6 - 8 hours labour without parts to remove and 're build... bit spicy.... 😎
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 23:23   #37
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, I have a v70 which came out of the factory in march 1998. I want to flush the power steering fluid and refill with the correct fluid. Google, Haynes and owners manual conflict as to the correct fluid. Is anyone please able to give me a difinitive answer as to the correct fluid. thanks
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 10:47   #38
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi, I have a v70 which came out of the factory in march 1998. I want to flush the power steering fluid and refill with the correct fluid. Google, Haynes and owners manual conflict as to the correct fluid. Is anyone please able to give me a difinitive answer as to the correct fluid. thanks

The later 70 series cars are from '99 onwards and use the green pentosin. Earlier models use red ATF BUT beware 1998/99 crossover models which can have either fluid from new depending upon which power steering pump was fitted at the time of manufacture.

The key difference is if the fluid reservoir is on the bulkhead/attached to the coolant reservoir it should be the green fluid - if the reservoir is on the pump then it would originally have had red ATF.

NB beware when flushing the system in a 1998 to 2005 C70 - there is a machined restrictor which fits in the return tube just as it enters the reservoir - it needs to be re-fitted as it is gets dumped out when doing a powered flush - it usually ends up in the catch bottle/pan which you don't see as the fluid coming out will be quite dark if not almost black.

Refitting is easy - it just slides back into the tube. It also needs to be refitted if you are replacing the reservoir - they have been known to end up in the reservoir on occasion - so it is worth checking before you dump the old reservoir.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 16th, 2017 at 11:02.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 16:01   #39
SeeSeventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
The later 70 series cars are from '99 onwards and use the green pentosin. Earlier models use red ATF BUT beware 1998/99 crossover models which can have either fluid from new depending upon which power steering pump was fitted at the time of manufacture.

The key difference is if the fluid reservoir is on the bulkhead/attached to the coolant reservoir it should be the green fluid - if the reservoir is on the pump then it would originally have had red ATF.

NB beware when flushing the system in a 1998 to 2005 C70 - there is a machined restrictor which fits in the return tube just as it enters the reservoir - it needs to be re-fitted as it is gets dumped out when doing a powered flush - it usually ends up in the catch bottle/pan which you don't see as the fluid coming out will be quite dark if not almost black.

Refitting is easy - it just slides back into the tube. It also needs to be refitted if you are replacing the reservoir - they have been known to end up in the reservoir on occasion - so it is worth checking before you dump the old reservoir.
So.... mine has the reservoir on the coolant tank and is red in there at the moment. I refitted the valve in the tank as it had come off. Volvo dealer didn't know which one to use. Still haven't gotten back to me to confirm. So I'm still unsure what the hells meant to go in there.

Cars parked up still. I might flush it through and refill with green pentosin and put it back on the toad and just use it til it dies and deal with it then.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:10   #40
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSeventy View Post
So.... mine has the reservoir on the coolant tank and is red in there at the moment. I refitted the valve in the tank as it had come off. Volvo dealer didn't know which one to use. Still haven't gotten back to me to confirm. So I'm still unsure what the hells meant to go in there.

Cars parked up still. I might flush it through and refill with green pentosin and put it back on the toad and just use it til it dies and deal with it then.
If the reservoir is on the coolant tank as far as I'm aware it should be the green pentosin fluid - Halfords sell the pentosin Comma MVCHF for £9.99 per litre.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote