Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The future for classic Volvos......

Views : 2283

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 07:38   #11
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

For me I find it total bull**** iam afraid.
My reasons are-

1) we are a tiny pimple on the world. Unless they can get the Chinese to stop building fossil fuel power stations at the rate of two a day and the US to adopt this its pointless.
2) remember the O zone layer and how we were all doomed ...then sorry we got it wrong and its repaired itself
3) the world has been exponentially warming since the ice age.
4) no real and I mean real evidence has been provided to prove global warming is anything other that the world evolving...for every expert wheeled out for there are those against
5) being an old cynic I wonder how many of our "trustworthy MPs have interests in Battery tech? I clearly remember privatisation of certain government bodies and later finding the very people that were pushing it were financially linked to private companies
6) having just retired from being a mechanic the issue is that the modern diesel has been plagued with ****-poor engineering. After Euro 4 they have tried to introduce failed systems to keep emissions low.DPF being one of the most stupid and I'll thought through devices. Introduced by the French. Who sets euro standards? Umm I wonder. If it wasn't for DPFs and EGRs and currently EGR coolers ...oh and French cars mechanics would starve.

Sell your petrol cars ..no not yet. Ask yourself what you will be doing in 20 odd years time? It does give credence to the need to drive classics and not lock them away and trailer them everywhere.

Sell you diesel...yes whilst you can get something for it if its worth anything. My old D5 circa 2004 non DPF ain't going anywhere until the tax is raised above the off set of buying a new car

Pontification over :-)

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 07:43   #12
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Remember the hysteria when leaded fuel was withdrawn? Old cars would destroy their engines in a thousand miles etc.
A whole industry grew up supplying magic crystals that miraculously replaced the lead. They were discredited and proper engineering replaced them. Now you can get unleaded valve seats fitted by any half decent engineering shop.

I can see a similar situation with fuel. The technology to make "ersatz" petrol is not beyond the wit of man.
Only stumbling block is the political desire to stop us enjoying that most magical discovery. The Otto Cycle.

If you are replacing something, it has to be better and more thrilling.
An electric motor doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Then again, Steam power enthusiasts say that about Diesels...
Oh it will. The tuning world will be crazy once electric cars are the norm. There'll be Corsas in supercar territory. Quiet, fast and clean 'sounds' great to me.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 11:26   #13
skysurfer
VOC Member

During the oil crisis in the seventies, I honestly thought that the oil would run out or be so horrendously expensive that we wouldn't be driving around in petrol or diesel fuelled cars in the 1980's . And here we are almost 50 years later.......
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 12:20   #14
arcturus
arcturus

I believe that the statement was that "they would stop selling cars with IC engines" The average economic life span of a modern vehicle is eight years. So that makes 2048 or thereabouts.That makes me 111 years old! I look forward to driving my electric wheelchair. Electric long distance HGVs? I don't think so. Yho was it that brought out an IC engine that ran on water, I think that it was some time in the seventies.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 17:59   #15
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvonic272 View Post
Paul,
Your comments reminded me off the TV advert for Cadbury Smash for mashed potato, if you remember them.

Hope you are doing ok mate.

Dave
Quite right Dave, and to make the point even further here we are in 2017 some 40 years after the Cadbury's Smash adverts still peeling spuds to mash them!!

Long live the internal combustion engine!

See you soon mate.
Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 23:44   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is always LPG or CNG to run our ICE one
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 23:49   #17
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Remember the hysteria when leaded fuel was withdrawn? Old cars would destroy their engines in a thousand miles etc.
A whole industry grew up supplying magic crystals that miraculously replaced the lead. They were discredited and proper engineering replaced them. Now you can get unleaded valve seats fitted by any half decent engineering shop.
That was a load of nonsense. 4 star would have fased out anyway just as the LRP did. 4 star was never fully wthdrawn and is still available but not easy to get.

Lucky for us the Volvo engines work fine on unleaded but not such a nice story for you A series guys or hilman imps.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 20:31   #18
woodman
Master Member

I use my Amazon as everyday transport, and I do about 6,000 miles a year. My view is that, long before getting petrol becomes a problem, my problem will be insurance (and possibly MOT). Already, I sense the insurance industry is beginning to struggle with the idea of old cars doing high mileages and I think the fewer of us do it, the harder it will be to insure. Then they'll scrap MOTs because no-one will know how to test old cars, so then we'll be limited to a few hundred miles a year. I have no interest in owning a museum piece.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 10:04   #19
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

It strikes me that the issue will be the balance of the will of the consumer versus the "apparent" political direction of travel. Sorry if that sounds like a pun.
How the international car industry evolves over the next 5 years or so will have a huge impact on the thinking of the consumer.
For example what are going to be the drive units of Volvo, Mercedes, VAG and BMW cars by 2025? It is interesting that Aston Martin appear to want to hold back the tide to some extent, and yet Porsche are going for hybrids to give more power over existing internal combustion engines.
Where this leaves those who want continuity of current vehicles one can but wonder.....
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 18:19   #20
Colonel Froth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIVERALLY View Post
For me I find it total bull**** iam afraid.
My reasons are-

1) we are a tiny pimple on the world. Unless they can get the Chinese to stop building fossil fuel power stations at the rate of two a day and the US to adopt this its pointless.
2) remember the O zone layer and how we were all doomed ...then sorry we got it wrong and its repaired itself
3) the world has been exponentially warming since the ice age.
4) no real and I mean real evidence has been provided to prove global warming is anything other that the world evolving...for every expert wheeled out for there are those against
5) being an old cynic I wonder how many of our "trustworthy MPs have interests in Battery tech? I clearly remember privatisation of certain government bodies and later finding the very people that were pushing it were financially linked to private companies
6) having just retired from being a mechanic the issue is that the modern diesel has been plagued with ****-poor engineering. After Euro 4 they have tried to introduce failed systems to keep emissions low.DPF being one of the most stupid and I'll thought through devices. Introduced by the French. Who sets euro standards? Umm I wonder. If it wasn't for DPFs and EGRs and currently EGR coolers ...oh and French cars mechanics would starve.

Sell your petrol cars ..no not yet. Ask yourself what you will be doing in 20 odd years time? It does give credence to the need to drive classics and not lock them away and trailer them everywhere.

Sell you diesel...yes whilst you can get something for it if its worth anything. My old D5 circa 2004 non DPF ain't going anywhere until the tax is raised above the off set of buying a new car

Pontification over :-)
Hi Clive, being a car enthusiast and being scientifically accurate don't have to be mutually exclusive.

1) China is suspending planning permission of many unbuilt coal powered plants, and the approval rate for new plants has dropped by 85%. They're also smashing out renewables faster than "us". The "they're worse than us" argument formats tend to result in a race to the bottom. Most developed countries recognise that they need to take action against climate change, and that it'll take a huge amount of effort from many countries to stop the damage we're causing.

2) The ozone layer didn't repair itself. Interestingly, the Montreal Protocol was enacted to limit the production of gases that are harmful to the layer. It's one of the most successful examples of international cooperation but despite everything that was, and still is being done, the hole in the ozone layer won't be back to "safe" levels for years. It took a huge amount of effort from many countries to stop the damage we were causing.....

3) Warming exponentially just means that the temperature didn't change much for a while, then quite quickly it started warming a lot. It doesn't mean that the exponential change is causally linked to the end of the last glaciation. In fact it rather points to the opposite, that after a few thousand fairly stable interglacial years, something has caused the temperature to begin to rise quickly.

This is an amazing visualisation of CO2 concentration readings from around the world, it's really worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6fQh9eAQE

It takes a few seconds to figure out how the data is being displayed, near the middle of the screen you can see the year and season, the map dots shows where the CO2 readings are being taken, the graph on the right shows the CO2 readings from the south to the north pole rising and falling throughout the year, and the graph on the right shows the annual northern and southern hemisphere's CO2 concentration year on year.

You can see the larger landmass of the northern hemisphere breathing in and out during summer and winter. You can see the southern hemisphere lagging behind the north because it takes a while to equilibrate. Towards the end of the video you can see how the global concentrations change in a saw-tooth way between the last few glacial and interglacial periods.

There are more factors than greenhouse gases but that visualisation is worth more than a few words.

4) That's just the sound of your fingers in your ears. There is so much data that points towards anthropogenic climate change, you must be just reading red-top newspapers. Who are the experts you mention? What would you consider real, real evidence?

5) I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than a few sweetheart deals to be done in the emerging green sector, just like there always have been in every sector. That's business as usual, not a global conspiracy.
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post: