Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEW Connected Car DATA SIM

Views : 3725

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2017, 18:56   #1
smj1873

Default NEW Connected Car DATA SIM

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I would like to quickly take the opportunity to get some general feedback and to see what interest would be like.

My friend is a Sales Director at an IoT and Telecoms Company. I have partnered with him to identify that a gap in the market exists in the supply of Connected Car DATA SIM's. We believe that these should and could be supplied at Dealer level and we are actively looking to partner with Car Dealers to provide this to customers who require them.

Through my own recent V90 I discovered that dealers simply told me a DATA SIM was required and that I could source one myself. After speaking to my friend it wasn't until we examined the market for these that we discovered how the market really looked for consumers.

We are soon going to launch a range of Connected Car DATA SIM's which are cheaper than the rest of the market, with a connection supplied through the main networks and which, crucially, has several benefits that can't be found through the main networks directly.

Our SIM's will run through a Private Network which is infinitely scalable, gives you Fast 4G connection, is not subject to congestion as you won't share it with up to 33 million other users such as the biggest networks on their public connections and our SIM's will allow you to use all of your Data with no time limits whatsoever.

We will shortly be releasing our pricing structure and we will release our SIM's on a PrePay basis from 200MB up to any amount an individual wishes. You can either buy the lowest amount and top it up as required or you can buy amounts to last months or years. There will be a sliding discount scheme for the initial purchase and any future purchase of Data. We are also launching a Premium SIM which is a Multi-Network SIM and will be priced above the Standard SIM but gives greater coverage as it can connect to the most suitable network if connection fails on 1 particular network.

I would also STRONGLY urge any Volvo Dealers on this Forum to contact me and allow me the opportunity to visit you to show you the revenue I can generate for you to partner with us and supply this service to your customers from day 1.

Any feedback whether positive or negative will help me to launch this in a way that can keep us all happy with the product. These DATA SIM's have , up until now only been supplied to businesses and not consumers. Our product will deliver a solution for anyone who wants the best product at the best price and will save us all having to shop around for deals or periodically having to change a PrePaid SIM as it has run out of Data.
smj1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 19:06   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

Thanks for posting.

I have a data sim as part of my EE package which shares data with my 3 phones on the same contract. Not an issue I can drop the data sim anytime. My question/observation would be my car is 3G only so 4G wouldnt get any faster connection.

2nd Observation I wouldnt trust a dealer with a free sim card, incentivising them to sell just makes the whole process worse!

3rd Question without wishing to cause offence, is it a Multi-level marketing business - if not you have my attention.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 19:20   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I don't pretend to be that knowledgably, but the sort of data SIM suitable for the car is the same as you may use in a tablet already - so I don't see it as an 'untapped' market not yet exploited - albeit if the price is right then I'd be interested. The trouble is, if you use the capability to the full on the SPA cars, then something like 200Mb a month will be woefully inadequate.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 19:28   #4
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Thanks for posting.

I have a data sim as part of my EE package which shares data with my 3 phones on the same contract. Not an issue I can drop the data sim anytime. My question/observation would be my car is 3G only so 4G wouldnt get any faster connection.

2nd Observation I wouldnt trust a dealer with a free sim card, incentivising them to sell just makes the whole process worse!

3rd Question without wishing to cause offence, is it a Multi-level marketing business - if not you have my attention.

Thanks for the reply,

My V90 connects on a 4G Signal and I'm sure the XC90 and new XC60 do also. Is it an older style XC60 you have? My wife has a 2017 XC60 of the older style but I haven't checked whether hers is 3G yet.

All of our SIM's supplied through a dealer will be specified by the customer, can be ordered directly by the customer and thereafter delivered to the dealer to install on behalf of the customer for delivery day of their new car. It's our focus to connect customers in the easiest way and as such having the SIM in your car from day 1 through the dealer seems natural.

On your 3rd question, we are NOT a Multi Level Marketing business and are just a growing IoT and Telecoms Company. We're currently winning and being nominated for multiple industry awards and our only real focus is on Connecting Everything. Our passion is in The Internet of Things and SMART Connected solutions.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 19:33   #5
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
I don't pretend to be that knowledgably, but the sort of data SIM suitable for the car is the same as you may use in a tablet already - so I don't see it as an 'untapped' market not yet exploited - albeit if the price is right then I'd be interested. The trouble is, if you use the capability to the full on the SPA cars, then something like 200Mb a month will be woefully inadequate.
Paul,

The potential untapped market is really in getting the Data SIM in a Connected Car that needs it from Day 1 and not leaving a customer to have to source and install one their self. I appreciate that this is fairly easy, but our product has advantages and is priced more competitively.

200MB a month is our smallest entry point and for the most basic of functions would be an amount that would be manageable. You can specify any amount you want though and add Data anytime at the same initial low prices.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 20:00   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

ok - keep us informed.

I recall somewhere else on this Forum someone mentioned a 'pay as you go SIM, with 12GB valid for a year for £24 (I may have got this wrong, but too lazy to search for the thread ..). It gives you an idea of what's already available.

You have a point about having something available from the dealer for day 1 - not everyone wants to locate the strange places Volvo place the SIM slot on their car!

Apart from possibly wanting to access internet radio (through the tunein app) I'm not sure what else I'd use it for. The occasional map download (typically 1.7GB for UK) I do in my drive connected to my home wi fi. Now if I could receive my email on the move with the Senus system reading it out tome, then I'd be more interested.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 20:05   #7
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
ok - keep us informed.

I recall somewhere else on this Forum someone mentioned a 'pay as you go SIM, with 12GB valid for a year for £24 (I may have got this wrong, but too lazy to search for the thread ..). It gives you an idea of what's already available.

You have a point about having something available from the dealer for day 1 - not everyone wants to locate the strange places Volvo place the SIM slot on their car!

Apart from possibly wanting to access internet radio (through the tunein app) I'm not sure what else I'd use it for. The occasional map download (typically 1.7GB for UK) I do in my drive connected to my home wi fi. Now if I could receive my email on the move with the Senus system reading it out tome, then I'd be more interested.
Paul,

Real Time Traffic Info, Weather apps, Spotify and the other apps are all quite useful. With Volvo going to an Android Operating System in the future for Sensus it also opens up a raft of future apps in the car.

Any Data purchased from us will be valid for life and not subject to time periods. So our SIM could be a one time purchase if bought with enough Data or topped up regularly and cheaply if desired. I've done extensive research on pricing and we've made sure it's highly competitive.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 20:43   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Good luck in your venture, most people who have VOC dont really need a data sim as VOC gives a basic connection but for those who do not have VOC or need one for other over the air connections etc a cheap data sim will be welcome. Can you beat the 3 12gb data sim that lasts upto 12 months for around £24. will yours be on a contract monthly payment deal or pay as you go. and will the data expire after 30 days.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 21:32   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj1873 View Post

My V90 connects on a 4G Signal and I'm sure the XC90 and new XC60 do also.
XC90s were originally fitted with 3G modems. 4G modems became standard on XC90s earlier this year; I think around the introduction of MY18 cars in April/May. My own XC90 was built in Oct 2016 and is 3G (and it shows).

However, all new cars now have 4G modems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 21:41   #10
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Good luck in your venture, most people who have VOC dont really need a data sim as VOC gives a basic connection but for those who do not have VOC or need one for other over the air connections etc a cheap data sim will be welcome. Can you beat the 3 12gb data sim that lasts upto 12 months for around £24. will yours be on a contract monthly payment deal or pay as you go. and will the data expire after 30 days.
VOC gives a basic connection for the VOC features but none of the additional features are covered by that connection such as RTTI and apps.

Our Data will not expire and as such gives a clear advantage over all other available deals.

It will be strictly on a PrePay basis and we don't anticipate making any Contract deals available as I wouldn't imagine that would benefit a consumer in any way as our pricing is as competitive as any deals available currently.