Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEW Connected Car DATA SIM

Views : 3745

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2017, 20:44   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

Also, what about roaming? A number of us on here take our cars to Europe.

(Btw, for those with data SIMs from Three, they are only 4G capable within the UK. When you roam with them they drop to 3G. I only found this out a couple of weeks ago.)
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 21:32   #12
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post

(Btw, for those with data SIMs from Three, they are only 4G capable within the UK. When you roam with them they drop to 3G. I only found this out a couple of weeks ago.)
I find 3G to be fine, when roaming with the Three sim.
No extra costs, you only use the data allocated to the card.

My current Three sim, expires at the beginning of September.
It started off by connecting my V60 and then the V90.
I have used it to roam 4 times and regularly listen to TuneIn and receive RTTI information and download the odd OTA updates.
I just recently checked the amount of the 12GB used and it is just over 4GB's.

This sim cost £30, but will be replacing it with one of the ones that came from Switzerland, at around £25.

tem.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 21:44   #13
smj1873

Quote:

Our SIM's are O2, EE or Vodafone and it would be network dependent as to whether when it roams it goes onto a 4G signal. It will vary as to what country and network and if it was something a customer was particular on then we can look to find a solution quite easily.
smj1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 21:59   #14
apnicolle

I travel a lot, too much some might say, and have found that 3 sometimes in France and USA offer 4G despite claiming that they don't. O2 have no 4G roaming agreements, despite being Telefonica. EE in France, Belgium and Italy gave me 4G (I left EE in 2015 so not sure the situation now). Vodafone always roams on 4G / LTE although that's a business account so maybe different.

Coming back to offering the SIM at a dealer level, of course it should happen. We're talking about fairly expensive cars so why is it not included - it's like Volvo are offering half a feature! Bearing in mind that many people are not tech-savvy to the degree you often seem to need to be with new cars, anything that simplifies the process sound like a good idea to me.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 22:09   #15
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
I travel a lot, too much some might say, and have found that 3 sometimes in France and USA offer 4G despite claiming that they don't. O2 have no 4G roaming agreements, despite being Telefonica. EE in France, Belgium and Italy gave me 4G (I left EE in 2015 so not sure the situation now). Vodafone always roams on 4G / LTE although that's a business account so maybe different.

Coming back to offering the SIM at a dealer level, of course it should happen. We're talking about fairly expensive cars so why is it not included - it's like Volvo are offering half a feature! Bearing in mind that many people are not tech-savvy to the degree you often seem to need to be with new cars, anything that simplifies the process sound like a good idea to me.
Thanks very much for your comments. I was personally quite let down by the dealer experience and it wasn't until I really explored the market and knew exactly what the car required that this came to fruition. We have taken several years to negotiate our deals with the networks and are really more than happy to work with any dealer to offer these deals to customers.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 22:15   #16
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj1873 View Post
Our SIM's are O2, EE or Vodafone and it would be network dependent as to whether when it roams it goes onto a 4G signal. It will vary as to what country and network and if it was something a customer was particular on then we can look to find a solution quite easily.
Just checked my Three connection.
Download: 48.38Mbps.
Upload: 31.28Mbps.
This is faster than my home fibre internet connection.

As far as O2, EE and Vodafone goes, the only other carrier that gives 4G, is EE and that is very poor.
Where I live, I will stay with Three.
Been with them for many years, and no problems.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Aug 4th, 2017 at 22:28. Reason: Add text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 22:29   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj1873 View Post
Thanks very much for your comments. I was personally quite let down by the dealer experience and it wasn't until I really explored the market and knew exactly what the car required that this came to fruition. We have taken several years to negotiate our deals with the networks and are really more than happy to work with any dealer to offer these deals to customers.
It would be a good marketing ploy to get Volvo or any other manufacturer to include a free data sim with the new car with the strong possibility that cusomers would renew the card or top up the data with the same company as the original if they are happy with the service.
Especially if there was clear easy instruction on how and where to do so included in a hand over pack with the car.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 09:12   #18
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
Vodafone always roams on 4G / LTE although that's a business account so maybe different.
I have a personal Vodafone account and it too roams on 4G/LTE.

I've given up using a Three SIM fitted in the car as the coverage and speed is noticeably inferior to tethering my 4G phone. This is probably a result of where I live and the car having only a 3G modem.

I use Macrodroid on the phone to partially automate the tethering process and it works well. Also, my phone contract comes with 16GB of data per month so there's little point in buying more data on a separate SIM.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 09:41   #19
smj1873

Quote:
I have a personal Vodafone account and it too roams on 4G/LTE.

I've given up using a Three SIM fitted in the car as the coverage and speed is noticeably inferior to tethering my 4G phone. This is probably a result of where I live and the car having only a 3G modem.

I use Macrodroid on the phone to partially automate the tethering process and it works well. Also, my phone contract comes with 16GB of data per month so there's little point in buying more data on a separate SIM.
Thanks for your feedback Lexman. What we've found is that the tethering process puts a lot of people off of connecting and many people just go without a connection. Another issue I've found is that not all phone contracts allow free tethering and charge extra or many people have contracts that don't have enough Data and the customer needs to pay extra to accommodate the new car if they want to connect it. Having the SIM in at the start simplifies the whole process.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 11:06   #20
philsuarez

Default Sim

I'd be interested as although i have tethering you can't use this as a data connection whilst using apple CarPlay. Car arriving at Christmas so keep us posted.
philsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to philsuarez For This Useful Post: