Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEW Connected Car DATA SIM

Views : 3732

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2017, 16:44   #21
Driver Dave

I'd be interested once my "3" sim comes to it's end. How soon do you think you will be in a position to offer these and at what sort of price?
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 17:33   #22
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
I'd be interested once my "3" sim comes to it's end. How soon do you think you will be in a position to offer these and at what sort of price?
We should be good to release soon and pricing depends on how much initial Data you'd take. I have looked at the whole of the market and I'm confident our pricing is cheaper than anything out there. There's a discount for higher amounts of Data taken as our costs go down on higher Data and the advantage to you in this is the fact that every single MB of Data you don't use will be available to you for as long as you have the SIM. Other providers will have cut off points or round you down to the nearest GB.
smj1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 17:58   #23
apnicolle

How much is how much ?
It seems many people use less than 1Gb a month, whereas others like me use 15-20Gb, mainly Netflix/YouTube/Music on the school run.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 11:38   #24
filace

Sounds interesting, but no mention of price yet? There are a myriad of companies offering rebadged M2M SIMs from the various retailers (I assume this is essentially what you'll be offering - I guess the fact that you have a choice of carrier means you're reselling a service from another org rather than obtaining a partner agreement directly with the MOs).

My plan is to get a 3 SIM with 12/24GB data (30 or 50 quid each, ish) and use one of them - they're also available on Amazon and easy to swap in and out so I'm intrigued as to what your 'value add' would be here - you mention issues with bandwidth and contention in your first posting but actually most of the issues are at the radio layer rather than Internet backhaul so not sure how you're planning to handle that - unless you go for a multi-network SIM I suppose (which would push the price waaay up over the 3 offering).
filace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 14:53   #25
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by filace View Post
Sounds interesting, but no mention of price yet? There are a myriad of companies offering rebadged M2M SIMs from the various retailers (I assume this is essentially what you'll be offering - I guess the fact that you have a choice of carrier means you're reselling a service from another org rather than obtaining a partner agreement directly with the MOs).

My plan is to get a 3 SIM with 12/24GB data (30 or 50 quid each, ish) and use one of them - they're also available on Amazon and easy to swap in and out so I'm intrigued as to what your 'value add' would be here - you mention issues with bandwidth and contention in your first posting but actually most of the issues are at the radio layer rather than Internet backhaul so not sure how you're planning to handle that - unless you go for a multi-network SIM I suppose (which would push the price waaay up over the 3 offering).
Thanks for your comments and questions.

In reply, we have direct relationships with EE, O2 and Vodafone with absolutely no third party involvement.

We also have multi-network offerings and on our pricing it's not a massive price jump but is certainly more expensive than single network SIM's.

The value add in our SIM's is ultimately our infinite flexibility. We can do any network, any SIM size with any amount of Data for any length of term.

Ideally, our concept is to provide our SIM's to a dealer and have it in the car from delivery to the customer. Posting in this forum is partly to get in touch with more dealers and to give fellow Volvo owners the option of what I see as a better deal than what we've had so far.

I'll update everyone this week with full pricing and hopefully a timescale for orders. This post was to really get a feel for the appetite for the idea.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 17:09   #26
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I suggest if your marketing is intended to be through dealers, then you'd be best talking to Volvo UK (as you may well be doing so). I suspect most people on this Forum won't be going back to our dealer to source a SIM.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 17:20   #27
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
I suggest if your marketing is intended to be through dealers, then you'd be best talking to Volvo UK (as you may well be doing so). I suspect most people on this Forum won't be going back to our dealer to source a SIM.
Paul, I'll make the website accessible for everyone who wants one or wants to have a look and order one. Ultimately if it's supplied at a dealer then it's great but I'd expect not everyone wants to go through that route and there will be plenty of us who would rather just buy on our own. Many of the online leasing deals are through brokers and customers never go near a dealer so I'd be naive to think dealers are the one stop shop.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 17:28   #28
streetg

Interesting concept!

Keen to hear how you can avoid congestion on the networks? Are you rolling out your own network and masts? I guess not so I am assuming you are still using the mobile operators radio networks in the UK, therefore I do not understand how you can avoid congestion, if the cell site is full then its full no matter what you have in the core???
2019 XC90 D5 Momentum Pro, Polestar.
2022 XC60 B4 R-Design Pro.
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 23:14   #29
steadvex
Master Member

Is there a website for this company?

I can't decide if i'm interested or not, so far the only use I see for it is the internet radio in the car, mines the earlier sensus mind, so far I use it with bluteooth tethering on the phone but reception can be a bit flaky.

Can't decide if the car is worth spending money on, been looking at preloaded data sims, the 12gb for 12 months for around £30 that you can find on amazon/ebay seems good, but its another cost ontop of VoC when my phone already does it? hard to justify
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 23:59   #30
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
Interesting concept!

Keen to hear how you can avoid congestion on the networks? Are you rolling out your own network and masts? I guess not so I am assuming you are still using the mobile operators radio networks in the UK, therefore I do not understand how you can avoid congestion, if the cell site is full then its full no matter what you have in the core???
We have a direct relationship with each of the main networks and our SIM's are run on a rivate network that is infinitely scalable. It's not shared with the main network and as such there are no contention or congestion issues.