Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'The Old Random No Start Syndrome'

Views : 2350

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2017, 18:07   #1
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default 'The Old Random No Start Syndrome'

V70T5SE Auto. 1999.

A recent purchase this one. Since buying has driven brilliantly from:
Durham to Derby .
Derby to Abbeytown
Abbeytown to Ashford
Ashford to Normandy via the tunnel
Normandy to home in South Brittany.
It runs very very well. But has a niggling intermitent non start issue.
Sometimes spins but won't catch.
Sometimes just dash lights but won't even turn over.
Sometime a wiggle of the key gets it going, sometimes a wiggle of the trigger wire on the starter, sometimes just two or three attempts and off it goes.
Once running its faultless.
I popped into Volsaa in Derby and they kindly dropped everything and read codes. They didn't have time to investigate further, and I was booked for the chunnel anyhow.

Codes given:
IMM-234 Transponder communication No communication DTC active.
(This they reckoned was odd, as if transponder is DEAD then it won't start.)

ECM-720A Immobiliser communication No communication DTC active.

The car, so far has always eventually started.

Anyways, thanks for reading & any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 18:52   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Sounds exactly like my [manual] V70.The favourite seems to be the antenna ring around the ignition followed by the trigger wire on the starter.I think[but can't remember for sure]that the gearbox inhibitor switch on autos stops the engine turning over.These are the only things that spring to mind at present,others wiser than I may have other suggestions.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 19:08   #3
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Thanks, yeh I'm with you on antenna ring and or trigger wire. Had forgotten about the PNP switch (I think that's the auto box one you mention)

Just wondering if there's a way to single them out......
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 19:22   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

I'm afraid electrics are a black art to me,but for the trigger wire I'd make sure the wire is firmly attached to the connector and that the connector has good tight connection on the starter.Checking continuity or whatever of the wire is then beyond me.I seem to recall you can do something with regard to cleaning/tightening the connection of the antenna ring,other than that it's a case I think of swapping it out for another one.The trouble of course is that with random happenings it's hard to tell if doing something has actually cured it or whether it's not in one of its random phases!!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 09:41   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Just been googling this subject. One thing that came up was the starter relay. Did'nt know it had one!
Anyhow, located it, pulled it and cleaned contacts/connectors followed by spray contact cleaner. Started straight up and 5 further attempts also on the button. But it does seem to be okay when cold.
Going for free things 1st.
Can this antenna ring/transponder be cleaned?
I only have one key, are the keys coded or can I just get new one cut in any old key-cutting place?
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 10:20   #6
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , the antenna ring is simply a lot of fine wire wound ina circle to pick up the signal from the key RFID chip . Cleaning is unlikely to do anything other than allow your brew to cool down .

Replacing the antenna will not require a recode as it does nothing other than send the signal to the ECU , which checks it has the correct code & allows a start signal to get the ball rolling .

Another often ignored fault is the actual switch assembly on the back of the ignition barrel , just done two Sprinters fora very similar non start , as well as many French vans .

Hope this helps & gets you sorted
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 10:54   #7
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Default none start

Had two none starts on the 850 t5 auto in three months, just spins over, if left for 20 minuets it will start, was thinking cam sensor, also has a split in the petrol overflow pipe.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 07:19   #8
volvo2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Just been googling this subject. One thing that came up was the starter relay. Did'nt know it had one!
Anyhow, located it, pulled it and cleaned contacts/connectors followed by spray contact cleaner. Started straight up and 5 further attempts also on the button. But it does seem to be okay when cold.
Going for free things 1st.
Can this antenna ring/transponder be cleaned?
I only have one key, are the keys coded or can I just get new one cut in any old key-cutting place?
If you have tried it already, you might want to see if a new fuel pump relay / controller helps (it is more than just a relay): https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184532
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:20   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Good morning, Paul, I'm afraid it is not good news with the keys. I too have only the one for my 'V' reg (Feb. 2000) V70 Classic. The cost of replacement is well into three figures; two would closely approach what I paid for the car in the first place! There are however various ways around the problem documented within these forums, but basically you just have to be very careful with the one that you have got!

I'm afraid that I cannot help with the intermittent WNS. If that happened to me I would be at the mercy of the AA. I agree with you about Volsaa, I have always found them to be very helpful and obliging - likewise CP Motors, just down the A42 near Tamworth.

Regards, John.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:48   #10
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

@ Volvo2. Good call I'd not thought of FPR for this one. I know about bridging terminals 15 & 87 for testing the relay and fuel pump . I let 3 or 4 spares go with my old 850. It's still local and with a mate. So should be able to blag one back to give that theory a go.

@ John, morning. Ah, coded keys..... That's a bit of a pain. I think you mean bypassing the immobiliser ? Think I've come across posts on that subject , seems to be a mixed bag of thoughts...... So , yes maybe taking care of the one key is the best option there.