Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

General Discussion around PCH vs PCP

Views : 2214

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which would you use?
Personal Contract Plan 2 28.57%
Personal Contract Hire 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 11th, 2017, 17:18   #1
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Default General Discussion around PCH vs PCP

Hi All,

Just ran some figures for a customer on an XC90 D5 with Xenium, BLIS and Metallic on both PCP and PCH.

Same discount, same term/mileage and same deposit.

The PCP came out £114 more expensive per month than the PCH.

With the below taken into account, what are peoples thoughts on the 2 options:

PCP - 3 Services Free of Charge, Able to change the car early if required, potential of equity at the end of the term, option to buy at the end.

PCH - No servicing included, able to amend the mileage during the term but not cost effective to come out of the car early, no purchase option.

Just curious to see what peoples opinions on the 2 and what peoples buying habbits are/are likley to be moving forward?

This is a fairly typical example of the difference in payment with some being even larger.

Thanks for everyones input in advance - I have put a Poll as well now

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 17:40   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Can we get more info? Amount of deposit needed, how many months, final payment, total amount payable?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 17:48   #3
MtillingVolvo

Of course. Below are the full details of the PCP quote with the pch being the same term/deposit/mileage but 114 less per month....

Vehicle Cost £ 50,260.00*
Less deposit* £ 5,000.00*
Payable by
36 monthly payments of £ 673.60*
1 Final Payment of £ 27,487.35*
Annual Percentage Rate 5.9%*
Guaranteed Future Value * £ 27,487.35*
Total Amount Payable £ 56,736.95*
* Based on an estimated annual mileage of 12000 miles per annum

Old Aug 11th, 2017, 20:43   #4
e123

Personal loan. These PCH and PCPs are designed to tie you in to changing the car regularly and preferrably through the same dealer/marque.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e123 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 21:34   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

I never go for anything more than 3 months rental up front on Contract Hire and always annoys me to sift through the other deals that make it look cheaper. Money you will never get back and uneccessary imho..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 22:17   #6
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e123 View Post
Personal loan. These PCH and PCPs are designed to tie you in to changing the car regularly and preferrably through the same dealer/marque.
Agree. My son is almost 'locked' into a VW plan. He can't even change to Skoda which are sold on the same site in Durham.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 07:58   #7
MtillingVolvo

Some interesting comments...

In what way do people feel that a PCP (or PCH) lock you in to a certain manufacturer?

Also, on the 3 month rental up front comment. The way that Volvo Car Leasing work is that you pay exactly the same amount over the term and the payment profile (3, 6, 9 or 12 up front) just means that the amount is spread differently i.e. the higher the up front rental the less you pay monthly, but the overall amount is is the same....

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:30   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Some interesting comments...

In what way do people feel that a PCP (or PCH) lock you in to a certain manufacturer?

Also, on the 3 month rental up front comment. The way that Volvo Car Leasing work is that you pay exactly the same amount over the term and the payment profile (3, 6, 9 or 12 up front) just means that the amount is spread differently i.e. the higher the up front rental the less you pay monthly, but the overall amount is is the same....
In the VW case, as follows. My son is now on his fifth new leased VW. He keeps them about two years. Low mileage. Shortly before the two years is up, the VW dealer contacts him with a really good deal - yes it is - and for little or no increase in the monthly payment he gets a new or increased specification car. Keeps him happy. When he enquired about jumping to Skoda (same dealer, same site) the monthly costs went up for what was effectively a similar car. There might have been some up front payment differential as well. All I know is that it was simply not worth it.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:33   #9
MtillingVolvo

I see.... from a customer retention point of view that is very good for the Brand, and if your Son is happy with the vehicles then all good for him too I guess.

If he's looking to change brand I suppose he would need to run a PCP to term or look around a bit as although VW may be offering some kind of renewal support via their finance company I'm sure you'd be able to get something else if he really wanted a change....?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, very interesting

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 09:15   #10
owyn
Premier Member

From a luddite who buys my cars......

Nearly 30k for a car that's not mine, what the!

I'm not paid badly at all and find all this very distressing, I like cars and consider myself a car man but these sums are the sort thing that could buy me a nice little second house.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post: