Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 'Bargain Basement' V70

Views : 1086

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2017, 11:44   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default My 'Bargain Basement' V70

When my 745 failed it's MOT 18 months ago on terminal corrosion, we had owned it for 18 of it's 27 years. We then looked for a nice 965 / V90 to replace it but could not find one suitable. This is why we started looking at V70s, as we already owed two FWD Saabs and would have preferred a RWD Volvo.

A year ago, we found an early 2000 'Classic' at a Dealer in Rotherham, up at £695. It fitted our requirements, and looked to be a good 'stop-gap' car. As it only had 5 months MOT left, I told him that I was prepared to pay the screen price if he would put a year's MOT on it. He declined, but immediately offered it to me at the 'trade' price of £550. We shook on that and I drove it 70 odd miles home without incident.

Fast forward to December and I submitted it for it's first MOT in my ownership. All that it required was hand-brake adjustment and a little welding on the exhaust support bracket to secure a pass. That MOT cost me £50, so I was well pleased that my purchase had been vindicated.

Fast forward again to last week and it went in for the replacement headlamp (an advisory on the MOT) that I had previously purchased from 'Minty' of these very forums - highly recommended, to be fitted. I also asked them to do an oil service and general check-over / report on the car at the same time.

They advised that the brake fluid is due for replacement and the A/C, whilst working, requires re-gassing. It is also missing both it's N/S headlamp wiper and w/washer bottle cap (of all things), which I know about and am currently trying to source. The only other issue reported was that the EML came on intermittently - again I was aware, but it doesn't adversely affect the running - which they have identified as a border-line O2 sensor. All-in-all, not a bad result, I thought.

My point is that it is still entirely possible to buy a good, solid, reliable, comfortable car for a pittance, even from a Dealer. It seems to me that while 7 and 9 series cars have all now either died or achieved 'collectible' status (with concomitant prices), the V70 is presently where our 745 was when we bought it. This one is definitely a 'keeper' which we intend to improve (replacement seats and trim - that sort of thing) over time. A show car it is not, but as a working daily driver that lives outside, it is close to ideal.

Regards, John.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 15:36   #2
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Much underrated cars by lots of people, but I think they're absolutely spot on.

Just today while walking through the supermarket car park, I remarked to my wife that my phase one V70 was the most stylish car parked there, compared to all the bulbous moderns.

Low and sleek, it looked like it was doing 70 mph while parked.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetleysmooth For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 10:25   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

I paid a grand for mine 5 years ago - it's never let me down once and now has 170k on it. Went through it's MOT back in June for the fifth time in my ownership and all it needed was a handbrake adjustment.

I like these cars so much that I recently purchased an early R version, that needs a bit of tlc, but for what I paid for it, I couldn't resist. Im not selling my daily runabout though.... just in case...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 08:20   #4
LardFather

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
I like these cars so much that I recently purchased an early R version, that needs a bit of tlc, but for what I paid for it, I couldn't resist. Im not selling my daily runabout though.... just in case...
+1 on that, I had my classic for four months and liked it so much I bought a phase1 r that i'm bringing back to life slowly but surely
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 10:34   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thanks, chaps. Seems to be a pattern emerging here - perhaps I should start looking for an 'R'!

Regards, John.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 11:06   #6
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

That's clearly a good buy. My old 850 cost me 850 quid in 09. I sold it this year for 850 euros (just about the same these days, sadly) having ran it from 138k to 192, well the clock stopped on that three years ago, so probs pushing 200k.

More recently paid 1800 for a 124k miles T5SE Auto. Probs at the high end for one, but seeing as it had a 1200 quid service in April, I went for it.

Hope you have many more (s)miles in yours
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 12:09   #7
edclarke

Another big fan of the v70 classic here.

We picked up a silver 2000 classic (2.4 auto with nice leather interior) for £800 in August last year. Other than an ABS sensor which went, it's been perfect.

Such a comfy car to drive
edclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 13:32   #8
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Thanks, chaps. Seems to be a pattern emerging here - perhaps I should start looking for an 'R'!

Regards, John.
I do believe that R's are now pretty much at the bottom of their value curve. Whilst Enthusiasts want total minters with low mileage (and will pay top prices thereof) for shows etc, there is still the rougher end of the market and those cars seem to be unwanted. I just picked up an early 98 R with 10 months ticket on it for 1300 quid.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 22:08   #9
johnsgotwood

My 2000 mk1 cost me £150 of eBay. It came with two months Mot and a faulty driveshaft. The fault turned out to be that some clown had fitted the os driveshaft from a mk2. Being that it was longer in length it made for interesting cornering, particularly at speed. Left hand turns made the whole thing jump. I managed to source a replacement from again eBay and the rest is history. Had it for two and a half years now with virtually no issues. I like many would love to own an "R" but for the money that some are asking it would have to be immaculate.
johnsgotwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 14:25   #10
Dippydog
Premier Member

Bought my P1 "140" Classic about 16mths ago with 10mths M.o.T. for £50.Seller was getting severe earache from his missus for too many cars.I've spent approx.a further £200 on it in tyres[3] brake pads all round,wheel bearing and brake caliper+a couple of other small bits.As a 140 it's no rocket ship,but then it's no rolling roadblock either.It's quiet,comfy and for what it is it's economical.it takes every thing I throw at it and comes back for more.The bonnet paint is full of micro blisters,the o/s/f wing top has some lacquer peel,the drivers door looks like someone has used a few sheets of wet'n'dry as a polish.But it is what it is and I'm happy with it.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote