Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many miles to a tank?

Views : 1952

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2017, 00:11   #21
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
That's interesting - the Superb was also on my shortlist but coming from the Yeti I wanted a change of scenery, anything VW group would have similar steering wheel, switchgear, infotainment systems etc... The Volvo really stood out to me as a design which had at least tried where most manufacturers seem to have settled into a lazy rut.
Mine was a 12 plate, and my wife still has it. she actually had her own Superb which was a few months older, but we traded that in for the S90, and she took mine.

Whilst I liked the car, and did consider a new one. like you, I wanted a change. In fact I have never had 2 cars from the same manufacturer in a row (BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Mazda, Ford, Lexus, Honda, Fiat, Saab, Skoda, Volvo).

I also liked the uniqueness of the S90 above the 5 series, XF, A6, E-Class. I looked at all of them, and was running out of ideas before the S90 became available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
I haven't looked into reliability much, still a fairly new model and no horror stories jumped out, just mildly iffy Sensus systems which I guess will incrementally improve. I hope your problems are being solved?! I do think other companies have done a slightly better job with the digital dash - the graphics seem a touch low rent compared to some I've seen in Audi's and the like.
I'll be honest, I have had my share of issues. I will not go into them here - a lot (but not all) are already posted on here somewhere if you care to look. I was even offered a full refund by the dealer, but decided to stick with the S90. The major issues are (i hope) all now solved. there are a couple of minor s/w gremlins, but i doubt they will ever be resolved, and they are minor (but annoying at times). Sensus is still a concern, but on the whole has behaved itself for a few months now, and hopefully the next full update at the end of the year will fix it once-and-for-all.

i cannot really comment on the dash graphics. I like them. Whilst i have seen the ones in the Merc, Jag, BM, Audi, it was only on brief test-drives, and i honestly could not say if they were better or not.

Six months in, I still look forward to getting in the car. I still have only seen 2 others on the road (quite a few V90s), and enjoy the exclusivity. I still get people coming up to me to ask about it: "What is it", "No way that is a Volvo", "It's not like the Volvo's of old",... I still find I get to my destination relaxed thanks to PA2, despite the best efforts of the British Motorway system to stick me in a queue for 4 hours. I am still amazed at the fuel economy I can obtain if I want to, whilst the car can still put a smile on my face in Dynamic mode when the mood, roads, and traffic conditions allow (though good MPG and "fun" definitely do not go together ).

Is it a perfect car? No, not by a long chalk. Am I happy I decided to stick with the S90 when given the choice to walk away. Yes I am!

I sincerely hope you get yours soon, it is trouble free, and you enjoy it.

Last edited by Jcbrown; Aug 18th, 2017 at 00:14.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 18:15   #22
S90
IT Guru

Recent trip from Gleneagles to London, Eco Mode, 65mph adaptive cruise, 120 miles into journey car told me I had 910 left in the tank!! Got to London and the car had done 63.2mpg!
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 10:01   #23
Jimrod

Thanks for all the informative replies guys!

Sounds pretty decent all-in-all, whilst a bigger tank would be great (especially considering the size of the car, you'd think there'd be room!) it does seem to cope pretty well on those long runs! I'd expect low to mid 40's mpg on my usual commute by the sounds of it which is fine. I'll be interested to try the various modes and see what difference it makes - Not particularly interested in "Dynamic" or I'd have gone for something more sporty but I wonder how much difference Eco makes vs Comfort for both performance and economy.

I called the dealer to ask about swapping front sensors for 360 camera last week and they said they'd get back to me with the cost changes to the lease etc, 5 days later and no reply. Doesn't fill you with confidence if they don't even respond to getting more money out of me!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 23:30   #24
Jcbrown

Thumbs up

Done some motorway trudging the past few days.

Currently done 542miles since last fill-up, with estimated range of 200miles left to go

Leics - Luton return. Reasonable trip down, ok back
Leics - Central London return. Horrible trip down, ok back
Leics - St Albans return. great trip down, horrible back
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 06:33   #25
Jimrod

Awesome! That's a good run!

I must admit I think I'll end up using Eco mode a fair bit if it doesn't affect the performance too much, my current Yeti disengages the engine (to idle) when you lift off and I believe the same happens with the S90 in Eco. Driving like that I can pretty much get to 40 (speed limit) on the dual-carriageway section of my return commute home and coast at that speed for around 2 miles as it's a mild downhill slope!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 16:59   #26
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

sometime I'll try to collate everyone's experiences, but in the meantime here's my recent measures:

D5 engine in S90

Reading to Bristol on M4, cruise set to 70mph on eco: 55mpg

540 miles of mixed motorway, fast A roads some B and city (over last 5 days - average 50mpg (on eco) - after just the initial motorway I was sitting t about 57mpg but this drops in town driving.

Bristol to Cornwall pulling large caravan = 26mpg

Interested to hear other's experiences, but mention which engine (and 'cheating' while resetting the odometer when at motorway speed doesn't count!)
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 18:04   #27
Jcbrown

Just worked the actual figures out for the trips this week. Boring stats post to follow, so don't bother reading it if you are not interested.

Since last filling up it is actually 530 miles. mainly M1, which includes 15+ miles each way (so about 90 miles over the 3 return trips) of mandatory 50MPH through road work, many sections of variable speed limits, plus typical M1 "car-park" due to weather/broken down vehicles/pedestrians in road/animals in road/nothing obvious . Town driving included crawl in/out of London (to/from Marylebone), plus clear run into St Albans (early am) and grid-lock trip out. Finally about 15 miles of local "Dad's taxi" for daughters' various activities

On motorway I have PA2 set at 70MPH, except when conditions/speed limit/traffic dictate otherwise. In other speed limits I try to drive at the limit, again depending on traffic/conditions.

Total time spent driving over 3 days: 13h25m, with average speed of just less than 40MPH - which sums up our motorway system I think

Best was 53MPh for 80 mile early morning trip to St Albans. Worst was 10MPh for 11 mile trip from London Gateway services to Marylebone.

Usually have ECO set on for motorway trips, but switch back to Comfort if weather is bad (car steams up). round town I just leave it in comfort. No Dynamic sessions this week

Average Consumption for these trips - 65.4 Pretty impressed with that