Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Daylight driving lights

Views : 4368

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 21:04   #11
crankie

i used to switch mine of on the 850 when working on it,but cant do it on my 54 V70
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 21:07   #12
spokoluzik
Trader

all models phase 2 up to 2005 can be switched using vida/vadis.
to do the same in some models after 2005 software download is necessary.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 21:59   #13
vagmuncher

For the life of me i can't see what the problem is..I never have to turn my lights on or off and you are seen more easily. Win win IMHO
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 22:18   #14
Hughman

Changing the bulbs is a bugger though :-)

I just had one go on the autobahn in Germany and was only eventually able to work out how to get the bulb out by using my wife's makeup mirror so I could see how the inside of the thing was laid out.

IMHO manufacturers generally seem now to treat bulbs as dealer fix only - all very well until one goes in the dark in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night.

Robbers................................!!
Hughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 22:40   #15
zetor160

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Correct they are there as a "Safety Aid" .....but BY the Christ do they SCREW UP YER REFLECTORS after being on CONSTANTLY fer a couple of years!!!!
Easy there Colonel..it is Easter Sunday..

Regards the reflectors..I see your point..but I think I would still prefer to have them on if they're designed that way.

Happy Easter and happy motoring
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 23:22   #16
Dancake
Premier Member

I turned my daylight's off using the following sequence.

1 Turn lights on
2 Hold in full beam
3 Whilst holding full beam lever turn the lights back off

Reverse the sequence to reactivate them if needs be.

Danny
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:16   #17
850Chris
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetor160 View Post
Why??

They're there as a safety aid..
Personally I don't subscribe to the 'safety aid' mindset. Don't get me wrong, I'm often the first car on the road to switch dipped headlights on when there is drizzle / surface spray / overcast light etc...but I couldn't stand driving around with my lights pointlessly blazing away during a bright summers day.

The trend towards having mandatory daytime running lights is yet another worrying sign of the 'removal of control' and increasingly nanny state culture we find ourselves in. It's a case of standards having to change to account for the lowest common denominator (i.e. those morons that either forget or overlook the obvious need to turn on their dipped lights when a change in conditions requires this) rather than acknowledging that the majority of drivers are able to think and act for themselves. As the driver, I want the freedom to choose when to have my lights on and off and I pride myself in maintaining a high standard of driving. This includes knowing when my lights are and aren't needed!!!! Here endeth the rant (sorry - don't mean to cause any offence to anyone)!

Thankfully I got mine turned off by the main dealer (as a favour) when they were doing some other work on the car (ETM replacement). I believe this is the only option on the P2 V70's

PS don't get me started on the misuse of rear foglights. You only need this switched on if you're the last car in the line of traffic people! Please turn it off when another car is visibly behind you (they should know you're there by that stage!).

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Apr 25th, 2011 at 03:35.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:56   #18
ade555

I just hate having them on when I don't need it, the bulb live is shorter and is pointless, I'm the driver and I choose when the lights are on not Volvo
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:29   #19
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
I just hate having them on when I don't need it, the bulb live is shorter and is pointless, I'm the driver and I choose when the lights are on not Volvo
Indeed, just check with insurance companies how many claims include the volvo's main beam and the impression of "bring flashed" to pull out onto a main road when the volvo goes over a pot hole or speed bump. Then, crash...

Have DLR's, but only a led range, do not use the main dipped beam of a car.....

Mine turned off by a dealer £27 within a week of having the car. I now have the power of control of my lights with a dial by my right hand...
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:55   #20
Mark H

It wouldn't be so bad if Volvo had fitted dedicated DRLs.
But to use the dipped beam is just Volvo being cheap.
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark H For This Useful Post: