Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Engine Undertray Missing - Issue or not?

Views : 1511

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 19:27   #1
cosworthy2000

Default V70 Engine Undertray Missing - Issue or not?

Getting ready to change the gearbox oil and B4 servo cover on my 52 V70, so thought I'd stick my head underneath and ID things. I was expecting to remove the engines undertray/cover, but found there us not one fitted. The mountings etc are there, so I asume at some point it was removed for a service and never refitted.
Question is, is it an issue, not having one? I've had the car 3+ years, and as far as I know it's been missing the whole time.
New one on ebay is £54 to the door, maybe a good investment??

Ta
cosworthy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 19:49   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Bought my v70 D5 used from main dealer with no tray fitted - been that way for at least 4 years now and not even an eyebrow raised.

Last edited by Brendan W; Apr 26th, 2011 at 19:49. Reason: spelling again
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 21:02   #3
Rover Saloon

Default engine undertray

I've had my S80 from new on a W plate (2000). No engine tray when supplied do reckon that they were not fitted for some reason around that time.
Rover Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 23:06   #4
magnus308

Many Volvos here in Sweden was delivered without the undertray and if my petrol Turbo S60 would had one installed it would be the first thing i would remove and put to garbage.
magnus308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:12   #5
bogart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworthy2000 View Post
Getting ready to change the gearbox oil and B4 servo cover on my 52 V70, so thought I'd stick my head underneath and ID things. I was expecting to remove the engines undertray/cover, but found there us not one fitted. The mountings etc are there, so I asume at some point it was removed for a service and never refitted.
Question is, is it an issue, not having one? I've had the car 3+ years, and as far as I know it's been missing the whole time.
New one on ebay is £54 to the door, maybe a good investment??

Ta
Had same situation. Went and picked one up from the guy last week. Was mentioned on here that later on Volvo stopped fitting them. Must admit I do like them as they catch any minor oil drips before they mess the drive up.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:50   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

I agree with the points already made about the engine undertray , if like me you change the oil by draining through the sump plug then its a pain to remove it each time but Volvo must have had a good reason to put it there in the first place . My 2001 V70 T5 was driven into a drainage ditch running along the side of a country road ( by a thief ) at high speed . The front near side wheel dropped into the ditch and a rock split the wishbone in half , the car slid on the undertray for a further 40 or 50 yards with the wheel folded up inside the wheel arch similar to the way Morris Minors used to look when the trunnions snapped . The undertray took the full weight of the car and although its got a few holes and cracks it saved it from being a write off , it may have also saved the car from being flipped over had it been able to dig in without an undertray to slide on . Its probably not the most common way a car gets damaged but for me I can see the value of keeping the undertray in place , before this happened I have posted comments in favour of dumping it but this incident changed my mind .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 15:33   #7
chiptivo
Premier Member

I understand the D5 required the undertray for noise pollution reasons, and to meet some sort of regulation. So, it is dependant on the engine and age.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 19:28   #8
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Drop a bolt & you'll be glad the undertray is missing (unless you're parked over a drain)