Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2.0D R-Design - DRIVEN!!

Views : 2348

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2009, 21:26   #1
MayGetaV70

Default V70 2.0D R-Design - DRIVEN!!

Well I have finally got to drive a V70 2.0D in R-Design trim and I was pleasantly surprised. It was an accompanied test drive in a brand new unregistered car. First I had a ride as the dealer drove to the petrol station to top it up with fuel, as a passenger I found the car comfortable and quiet and over the odd pot hole well composed so no concerns there.

Then the drive, as I said the car was brand new with around 5 miles on the clock I and was accompanied by the dealer so had to take it a bit easy. Anyway the drive was fine the car held the road well steering felt sharper than the 2.0d S80 I drove months back and the power delivery much more responsive and less laggey than the S80 which had I think around 10k on the clock, run in it should be even better.

Pulling onto a dual carriageway I didn’t have the same problem with the B pillar being in the way blocking my view when shoulder checking, pulling onto the carriageway the car was fine, I was able to hold back whilst a couple of lorries went past then straight out onto the outside lane upto around 85 past the lorries and back in no drama or any feeling it was an effort for the car.

It’s not going to be a rocket ship, but now after driving it I can say it’s not under powered. It felt smooth and refined and I feel powerful enough for your normal needs. I looked at it like this of course more is better but these days with speed cameras, fuel prices and traffic as they are how much power do you really need. The engine works in the car and that’s that.

It did not have the adjustable power steering as it says in the brochure.

The dealer was great, he ordered in a car to my spec, for me, weeks ago, then let me test it. If I was happy it was my car if not he was going to keep it as his demo. Anyway I collect it in a couple of weeks after my holiday.

MaygetaV70 now needs to change his name to IsgettingaV70. Oh one more thing wheels mine has got Fortuna Diamond Cut Graphite ones on it not the Cratus ones it supposed to have just wondering if this as a result of Volvos wheel problems I have read about on this site. Do look good on a titanium car though not as dark as they look on the Volvo web site.

Don’t knock the 2.0d in this car till you’ve tried it. You might get a nice surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car 2.jpg (150.1 KB, 62 views)
MayGetaV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 22:09   #2
Dazzlev70r

Wait for the name change to hasgotav70 lol

Na ive hit over 3K with mine now and its a very well built car

The speed dependant steering I do have an issue over, simply as it should be there and isnt and im currently taking them to task now as it goes

Trust me no way can anyone call this underpowered, ive had a 1300Kg caravan on back and it didnt bother it at all

Id say this is more stiffer and therefore bumpier than the SE though and seats are great but on a long days drive there not as good as the SE but nothing to worry about
Ill confirm this car easily exceeds 100MPH and climing up there with ease.
Ive never noticed the B pillar problem ever but will conceed the front and rear sensors was an option with hindsight id have taken as the front left hand side corner is a mystery in the real world

Ive tested them all now and for the money nothing comes close to be fair.
Handling if thrown around is poor to be fair, they do feel clumsy im sorry to say and the rear can step out on you on a bend despite bieng FWD, but this was at over 70 MPH on a steepish bend and normal driving is good

in 5 weeks and 3K my only concerns are the speed dependant steering whilst towing ( it tows ok but it should be there) and the bluetooth connection

Ive yet to find any phone yet that works FULLY with the radio

Most nokias simply wont work in full and although little things like this anny me as i paid the extra nothing else on market comes close
The handbrake ive had no problem with, sometimes you just pull away other times it needs a good rev to come off the only issue is its tucked away and why it couldnt be where the handbrake used to be i no idea

Other minor moan is the slot for the key, you cant connect it to a keyring as it would damage the dash board, all my moans are realy petty and livable

Fuel wise though im getting now ive slowed down around 40MPG, not the best but its a great big heavy car to be fair
Gotta say i do like the wheels on this one
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 22:00   #3
Tony g6hbq
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlev70r View Post

Other minor moan is the slot for the key, you cant connect it to a keyring as it would damage the dash board, all my moans are realy petty and livable
got a key ring on mine for the last 6 mths with no problems
Tony g6hbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:37   #4
gibboxxx

Hi - I test drove a V70 2.0D R-Design a couple of weeks ago. I concur about the engine being more than sufficient. I was worried it would be sluggish but actually felt it had sufficient power at hand when needed. However, my on niggle was the composure of the car over pot holes/poor road surface. Compared to our current Focus estate the feedback through the steering wheel was choppy at times which is something you would never experience with the Focus. Not sure if size/weight of the car has a bearing on this.

We have a V70 2.0D SE on order as part of motability which has an excellent deal for this car. I was wondering if anyone had views on the pros and cons of the 2.0D SE compared to the R-Design model (are the cars setup differently in someway?)
gibboxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 13:20   #5
TBT

Hi Gibboxxx,

I recently choose an R Design but my company helpfully arranged 3 day test drives and I had two weekend tests one in an SE and the other in R Design setup so got a reasonable feel for what they are like.

The SE has smaller alloy wheels (17 inch cs 18 inch) and the tyres have a bigger air volume which softens the ride. Also the R Design has thick anti roll bars and I think lowered suspension, whereas the SE has the standard, more luxurious setup.

The front car seats are different too - the SE has more open seats, whilst the Rdesign has sportier seats with extra side support.

On the SE bump and vibration isolation are much better than the R Design but if you drive quickly on twisty roads you notice much more body roll.

The R Design is an altogether sportier setup which is still very good but it is not so good at hiding potholes etc.

I think both setups are good and the decision should be based on how you like to drive, the SE for comfort and the Rdesign for sport.
TBT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 19:41   #6
avtur

Smile nearly there ...

I can identify with TBT's post, much the same as my own experience.

I plumped for the 2.0D SE; soon after ordering my wife bought me a flat cap and a pack of Worthers Originals !!! But hey I don't mind, I spend a lot of time behind the wheel covering close to 30k miles per year. I expect to be more than happy with my armchair on wheels !!!!

Today I received some excellent news .... my car is being built this week, so there's a pretty good chance I can take delivery around 16/17th. My dealer had held off commiting to a delivery date because we're very close to a factory close down and its not unknown for cars planned just before shut down to slip back to post shut down. But it seems we're now past the point where the delay can happen

So in around two weeks I'll be an owner; I'm really looking forward to it ...
avtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 21:47   #7
t5hull

Smile

its a shame that your really buying a ford though with a volvo badge on it. buy a real R volvo, whats happening to our fantastic brand of yester-year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtur View Post
I can identify with TBT's post, much the same as my own experience.

I plumped for the 2.0D SE; soon after ordering my wife bought me a flat cap and a pack of Worthers Originals !!! But hey I don't mind, I spend a lot of time behind the wheel covering close to 30k miles per year. I expect to be more than happy with my armchair on wheels !!!!

Today I received some excellent news .... my car is being built this week, so there's a pretty good chance I can take delivery around 16/17th. My dealer had held off commiting to a delivery date because we're very close to a factory close down and its not unknown for cars planned just before shut down to slip back to post shut down. But it seems we're now past the point where the delay can happen

So in around two weeks I'll be an owner; I'm really looking forward to it ...
t5hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 22:54   #8
avtur

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5hull View Post
its a shame that your really buying a ford though with a volvo badge on it. buy a real R volvo, whats happening to our fantastic brand of yester-year.

What is a real Volvo these days? ...

Which bits of the V70 are shared with Ford and vice versa ...?

I'm buying the Volvo because it is much better value for money than a Ford, I did look at the Mondeo Estate, the V70 I'm getting will cost me £11 per month more than a Mondeo Estate in Zetec trim ... for me that was no contest.

I have to buy a brand new car, is there a brand new Volvo that fits your criteria of being a 'real Volvo'.

If my purchase of a new Volvo (watered down by Ford's influence) is a problem for you then I'm sorry about that. But as far as I'm concerned I'm happy with my choice, I'm not a brand snob but the Volvo I've ordered is a better car (for me) than the equivalent Mondeo.
avtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 23:06   #9
t5hull

Thumbs up

good comeback!!! the new v70 is a better chioce than the v50 and s40, have been to the factory in belguim with volvo and seen them next to new fords, focus mondeo, not about being a snob..... try not to take my comments to heart no offence intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtur View Post
What is a real Volvo these days? ...

Which bits of the V70 are shared with Ford and vice versa ...?

I'm buying the Volvo because it is much better value for money than a Ford, I did look at the Mondeo Estate, the V70 I'm getting will cost me £11 per month more than a Mondeo Estate in Zetec trim ... for me that was no contest.

I have to buy a brand new car, is there a brand new Volvo that fits your criteria of being a 'real Volvo'.

If my purchase of a new Volvo (watered down by Ford's influence) is a problem for you then I'm sorry about that. But as far as I'm concerned I'm happy with my choice, I'm not a brand snob but the Volvo I've ordered is a better car (for me) than the equivalent Mondeo.
t5hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:25   #10
gibboxxx

As I mentioned earlier on this topic - I have ordered the V70 2.0D SE because of the excellent deal under motability. The main criteria being to obtain a larger car than our current Focus Estate. The alternative choice was the Mondeo estate (zetec) but under motability the advance payment was £600 more than the Volvo at the time so we opted for the Volvo.

Having driven a Mondeo estate compared to the V70 2.D SE the decision would have been a no brainer if the advance payment for the Mondeo had been the same. The Mondeo is by far a better drive than the Volvo. It seems Ford has saved all the best mechanical bits for the Mondeo and in some way has compromised the Volvo ride. In my opinion the Mondeo is also the better looking car. The area that the Volvo does beat the Mondeo is the cabin. If I could have the ride and looks of a Mondeo and the cabin of the Volvo then for a big estate that would be pretty much perfect.
gibboxxx is offline   Reply With Quote