Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 AWD 2.4 T SE..low compression

Views : 949

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2021, 17:21   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAvalanche158 View Post
I carried out a compression test this morning;
Cylinders 1, 4 & 5 - 160psi
Cylinder 2 - 150psi
Cylinder 3 - 10psi
Well that's conclusive on the low compression.
Did you try adding a little oil to the cylinder to see if that improved matters or are you convinced enough that the low compression is definitely caused by the head gasket?
Old Jun 27th, 2021, 17:34   #12
DrAvalanche158

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Well that's conclusive on the low compression.
Did you try adding a little oil to the cylinder to see if that improved matters or are you convinced enough that the low compression is definitely caused by the head gasket?

I tried the oil in the cylinder but no change so I’ll be looking for a mechanic to carry out the work. I just have one more check to make tomorrow on the injector seal.
DrAvalanche158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 22:35   #13
Baffler
Premier Member

If it is sticking piston rings you could try get a mixture of ATF and acetone down into cylinder 3, let it sit for a time before working the crank back and forth, in the hope it would free off any carbon and tar deposits from the rings/piston. Repeat as necessary and try a compression test again.

If you manage to get compression restored it would probably be best to carry out an oil change afterwards to remove any contamination.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 20:58   #14
DrAvalanche158

Default Update on the low compression

Well I've finally had the repair carried out. the offending item was an exhaust valve.
I used Parkside Garage in Leeds who aren't scared of getting into engines. They're a popular garage hence the length of time this has taken.
My car is now back on the road.
DrAvalanche158 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrAvalanche158 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 21:40   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryCambs View Post
As above, I'd want to know how the compression was checked. It needs a manual check with a pressure gauge. Can you ask the original garage how they checked the compression?

In fairness to the other garages, I'm an old school mechanic and I wouldn't "open that can of worms" either. I've had the head off mine to do a head gasket and it's a long job. By the time you've factored in parts and work needed once the head is off, cam belt etc, the bill's probably going to be what the car's worth. Chances are, something else completely unconnected will go wrong soon after and the customer will be back complaining.

To me, 2003 is yesterday, but it's now 18 years old. Mine's 2002 and only a year off joining my other vehicles on my classic insurance policy.

Too many people say this on here ... Remember that statement is only relevant if you are planning to sell the car ... otherwise it's just a bill you have to pay like any newer car .
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:52   #16
BarryCambs

Don't get me wrong - I'm not for scrapping things just because there older, it's just about managing customers expectations and if you can do the work yourself it's fine. I got my V70 10 years ago with the gearbox gone. Chap was quoted 3 grand plus £500 to sort the faulty Dim. He'd just spent £1000 on a new alternator, radiator and MOT parts and decided to cut his losses.

I changed the gearbox and Volvo diagnostics from here sorted the instruments and it was back on the road. Sadly, a months later, the head gasket went - I suspect it overheated with the alternator pulley went through the radiator. I was quoted £1,500, but did it myself. Had the previous owner paid out for doing the gearbox, adding his original £1000 and the £1500 for the head gasket, he'd have been in for £6,000 in 12 months.

I've done 80k in it over the last 10 years and I'll keep it going until something major happens. Other than service parts which you'd expect on any car more than a few years old, it's had new drive shafts, complete front and rear suspension and numerous other little fixes, but dividing the cost of the parts by 10 years, its still cheap motoring. If I was paying for the labour, it would have been scrapped long ago!
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote