Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What’s it worth….

Views : 813

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 22:18   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default What’s it worth….

Hello chaps,

I'm wondering what my car would be worth, being realistic & not advertising at something that's ridiculous! Its not for sale at the moment, but I'm weighing up my options.

Its a 2007 S80 2.4D euro 4 (163bhp), SE trim with 104,000 miles (P3 shape). Exterior colour is black. MOT'd until Jan 2022 (no advisories).

Here's a bit of a description to give you an idea;

Its had main dealer service history up until 2018 (service book is stamped (I have this), but previous owner lost the supporting paperwork. Volvo have confirmed that they have the records on their system & all the dates/mileage tally up with what they have record of. I've asked for copies of this paperwork, but they told me they can't give it due to GDPR regulations, but assured me the car has full main dealer service history up until 2018 (I spoke to more than one person & was told the same thing… I can’t have copies of the service records). In 2019 (when I bought the car), I had the car serviced at a local Volvo indi garage & also went there in 2020 for another service. However, the most recent service (January 2021) was done by myself (oil, oil filter, fuel filter & pollen filter). The car is serviced annually, regardless of the miles it does.

Timing belt has been replaced by an independent Volvo garage (2019).

Auxiliary belts & tensioner have been replaced (Genuine Volvo parts (2019).

Torque rod/upper engine mount replaced (Genuine Volvo part).

New discs & pads all around (Pagid).

Lower engine mount replaced (Genuine Volvo part).

Brake servo fitted (indi Volvo garage). The old one was hissing!

Rear trailing arm bushes replaced (Volvo indi garage). Hunter four wheel alignment done after bushes were fitted.

New battery (Yuassa)

Transmission has been serviced twice (Volvo indi garage).

Tyres (17") all have decent tread on them.

Saga alloys (17" - optional original fitment from the factory) have been professionally refurbed. These are still in fantastic condition & really suit the car, in my opinion. These weren't on the car when I first purchased it, but I'm glad I bought them!

Cream leather is in great condition & I've recently treated the seats to some leather cream. Admittedly, the driver's seat looks more worn than the others, but this is to be expected. There's no rips or tears in any of the seats. The interior itself is very clean & I personally keep it as clean as possible at all times. Its never been smoked in as long as I've owned it, nor has it had any pets inside. Judging by the condition of the interior, I think the previous owners were the same in this regard.

Air con is ice cold. Dual zone climate control works fine.

All electrics work as they should (mirrors, windows, heated seats, front & rear parking sensors etc).

Suspension is tight, so no knocks or bangs.

Its a very comfortable car that has been really well looked after, by myself & the previous owners. I have paperwork for the things I've had done to it since I've owned it... I reiterate once again that it has been looked after very well. There's the odd scratch here & there, which were on the car when I bought it (no dents though). All things considered, I think its in great condition for a 14 year old motor.

So, what's it worth in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 21st, 2021 at 22:32.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 11:36   #2
Rocinante
Master Member

Auto Trader has similar from around £2750 to £3290, so that gives you an idea what others are selling at, so what you'll have to compete with if you're selling privately, although I can't comment on their condition,

Webuyanycar.com will give you a valuation, as will Whizzle.co.uk & motorway.co.uk, which is what dealers seem to be pricing trade ins at.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 13:46   #3
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Auto Trader has similar from around £2750 to £3290, so that gives you an idea what others are selling at, so what you'll have to compete with if you're selling privately, although I can't comment on their condition,

Webuyanycar.com will give you a valuation, as will Whizzle.co.uk & motorway.co.uk, which is what dealers seem to be pricing trade ins at.
Wbac gave me a quote £800 higher than trade in proce and £600 higher than they did 6 weeks ago!!
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 14:55   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

The biggest problem is the euro 4. Mind you, it's a lot of very nice car for not very much, to be honest? I'd put it on at £4750;and see who bites. I imagine it's worth £4k all day long.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 18:16   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
The biggest problem is the euro 4. Mind you, it's a lot of very nice car for not very much, to be honest? I'd put it on at £4750;and see who bites. I imagine it's worth £4k all day long.
I was thinking the same. Considering there’s estates with double the mileage & a year newer going for £5k, then advertising at £4,750 allowing negotiating room to say £4,000 minimum doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

As you say, its a lot of very nice car for not very much.

I think AutoTrader prices are all over the place. Their value your car option gives very low figures.

Obviously, there’s the old saying “its only worth what someone is willing to pay”. That statement is true, but I’m not giving it away either (if I was to sell).

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 22nd, 2021 at 18:19.
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 10:45   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I was thinking the same. Considering there’s estates with double the mileage & a year newer going for £5k, then advertising at £4,750 allowing negotiating room to say £4,000 minimum doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

As you say, its a lot of very nice car for not very much.

I think AutoTrader prices are all over the place. Their value your car option gives very low figures.

Obviously, there’s the old saying “its only worth what someone is willing to pay”. That statement is true, but I’m not giving it away either (if I was to sell).
As you say a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but if was looking for a 2007 S80 2.4D, one of the places I'd look was on Autotrader and next to your car advertised at £4750, I'd see another 2007 S80 2.4D for £10 less at £4740.

I'd note that it had 40673 less miles on it than yours, and was a better specification than yours, as it was an SE Lux model. I'd also note that it had a longer MOT, not due until 22/03/2022, I'd note that it also stated that it had a full service history and was also quoted as "driving like new" with "excellent bodywork".
I'd also note that it came it with a 12 month warranty, unlike the private sale you were offering.

I think I know which one I would give greater consideration to.

This one might be priced low, I don't know, but this is your current competition if selling your car, irrespective of what it's ascribed value is.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 13:31   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As you say a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but if was looking for a 2007 S80 2.4D, one of the places I'd look was on Autotrader and next to your car advertised at £4750, I'd see another 2007 S80 2.4D for £10 less at £4740.

I'd note that it had 40673 less miles on it than yours, and was a better specification than yours, as it was an SE Lux model. I'd also note that it had a longer MOT, not due until 22/03/2022, I'd note that it also stated that it had a full service history and was also quoted as "driving like new" with "excellent bodywork".
I'd also note that it came it with a 12 month warranty, unlike the private sale you were offering.

I think I know which one I would give greater consideration to.

This one might be priced low, I don't know, but this is your current competition if selling your car, irrespective of what it's ascribed value is.
Fair point & I understand what you’re saying. Although, the difference between the SE & SE Lux is minimal in terms of spec for anyone in the know. The only difference is the passenger seat is electric (SE isn’t) & the headlights are xenon on the SE Lux (SE aren’t). The SE Lux is still a better spec though admittedly, but its not got loads of features the SE hasn’t either (apart from what I mentioned).

My car drives like new. I suppose it depends what you define as “excellent bodywork”. Excellent for a 14 year old car, or is it ‘excellent’ like showroom condition?

We all know a private sale offers no warranty. You buy a car privately so you aren’t paying over the odds for a warranty that probably covers nothing anyway & the garage profit margin. All the same, its nice to buy from a garage.

I guess the car would have to be priced competitively if advertising on AutoTrader in particular, but their valuations are way below the mark in my experience. I understand what you mean though… you can’t really charge a garage price for a private sale. All the same, for someone buying private & not going near a garage, they may pay extra (what someone is willing to pay basically). Its really luck of the draw.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 23rd, 2021 at 13:46.
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 19:39   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Autotrader may have some to offer at £4k+ but those look like trader's forecourt prices, their warranty may be overpriced and have multiple exclusions on it but if I'm spending £4k on a 14 year old car I have the advantage that I can sue their butt if it's defective, on a private sale the risk is all mine. Looking at fleabay the sold listings for a similar car are more like £2k for private sales, regrettably our pride and joy is just another old car to the rest of the world.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 22:08   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Fair point & I understand what you’re saying. Although, the difference between the SE & SE Lux is minimal in terms of spec for anyone in the know. The only difference is the passenger seat is electric (SE isn’t) & the headlights are xenon on the SE Lux (SE aren’t). The SE Lux is still a better spec though admittedly, but its not got loads of features the SE hasn’t either (apart from what I mentioned).

My car drives like new. I suppose it depends what you define as “excellent bodywork”. Excellent for a 14 year old car, or is it ‘excellent’ like showroom condition?

We all know a private sale offers no warranty. You buy a car privately so you aren’t paying over the odds for a warranty that probably covers nothing anyway & the garage profit margin. All the same, its nice to buy from a garage.

I guess the car would have to be priced competitively if advertising on AutoTrader in particular, but their valuations are way below the mark in my experience. I understand what you mean though… you can’t really charge a garage price for a private sale. All the same, for someone buying private & not going near a garage, they may pay extra (what someone is willing to pay basically). Its really luck of the draw.
When it comes to selling a car it’s all about how quick you want rid isn’t it.

You say £4750, in which case it will need to be very well presented and you may take a little longer.

Put 3750 and you don’t even need to clean it and half a dozen will call and buy with cash.

I would start off with what you actually want (say 4750) then reduce if need be.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 09:58   #10
Sotosound
Premier Member

What price will be achieved?

Place your bets, laydeez and gemmun!
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote