Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why didn't you tell me automatics are so good!

Views : 6478

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 20:47   #21
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Oh..... so there's no chance of a third reason where you don't mind or even prefer the experience of changing gear yourself and often enjoy better MPG versus the automatic equivalent?
Which manual offers better MPG? 10 years ago yes, now a days no, autos are more MPG efficient, the later 8 and 9 speeds way more so.

Perhaps some do like hard work for a drop in performance and economy.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 20:54   #22
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
I have never experienced a bad auto with regards to roundabouts, ... you aren’t changing gear while coming out of roundabouts etc. Both hands on the wheel most of them time 🙂
Excuse the extreme edit. One of my worst driving experiences was while driving a Ford Scorpio for TUV approval of the catalytic convertor, pulling onto the A40 at Burford I put my foot down only to have the autobox kickdown and give me a boost of power, the back end of the car went sideways and as I tried to control it it changed back up making the car snap away again, craziest part was that I was more worried about the car which had thousands of hours of testing in it than I was about my own safety, but I was a bit wary of that car afterwards.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 21:03   #23
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Excuse the extreme edit. One of my worst driving experiences was while driving a Ford Scorpio for TUV approval of the catalytic convertor, pulling onto the A40 at Burford I put my foot down only to have the autobox kickdown and give me a boost of power, the back end of the car went sideways and as I tried to control it it changed back up making the car snap away again, craziest part was that I was more worried about the car which had thousands of hours of testing in it than I was about my own safety, but I was a bit wary of that car afterwards.
Yes, that sounds concerning. However... the last Scorpio was made in 1998 so that’s almost 25 years old. As you were testing it was it a 1994 so almost 30 years old....

30 years ago I wouldn’t want a auto, now they are far far better.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 21:28   #24
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Which manual offers better MPG? 10 years ago yes, now a days no, autos are more MPG efficient, the later 8 and 9 speeds way more so.

Perhaps some do like hard work for a drop in performance and economy.
I said the automatic equivalent so the automatic equivalent to mine has worse MPG and that applies to many equivalent cars with a manual and automatic option on equivalent models and engine combos.

I have no drop in performance driving a manual, I don't find it hard work or work of any kind and I'm not a moron for actively choosing and preferring a manual.
Over 32 years of driving manuals and automatics, I don't see a difference given that they both have advantages.
A bit like automatic and manual focus on cameras, both have pros and cons.

As for economy, I can easily get 800+ miles to a tank which would be around double the figure for an XC90 regardless of transmission and probably better than most new cars with their ever increasing emissions regulations.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:01   #25
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Mike Hawthorn made some prescient observations on the subject c60 years ago:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...oxes-%E2%80%93
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:02   #26
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If you think modern automatics are good, wait till you drive a Tesla.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:12   #27
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I guess I'm odd in that I genuinely don't care. I like the manual gearbox in my Volvo but I also really like the lovely DCT auto box in our Kia Sportage.

Meh.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:40   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I said the automatic equivalent so the automatic equivalent to mine has worse MPG and that applies to many equivalent cars with a manual and automatic option on equivalent models and engine combos.

I have no drop in performance driving a manual, I don't find it hard work or work of any kind and I'm not a moron for actively choosing and preferring a manual.
Over 32 years of driving manuals and automatics, I don't see a difference given that they both have advantages.
A bit like automatic and manual focus on cameras, both have pros and cons.

As for economy, I can easily get 800+ miles to a tank which would be around double the figure for an XC90 regardless of transmission and probably better than most new cars with their ever increasing emissions regulations.
I can squeeze 550 miles from mine but joking aside you make very interesting points.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:08   #29
Whippy
Premier Member

I love my auto, I do a lot of miles on steep very twisty roads and got fed up wrasslin the steering wheel whilst clutching at a wobbly stick to try and change gear. Never again.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:43   #30
Bashy
Aged Member

Whilst i love Volvo Auto, even more so the tronic 6sp box, i would take a manual any day in snow, i feel you have far more control with a manual when pulling away in snow, just knocking up the auto to gear 3 doesnt quite cut the mustard for me :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: