Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dynaudio Stereo Problems S80 2007

Views : 1283

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2022, 15:31   #1
tc
VOC Member

Default Dynaudio Stereo Problems S80 2007

I bought my 2007 S80 V8 a month or two ago and since I got it the stereo's sound has been intermittent at best, it will sometimes only play through the front speakers but if you crank the volume up it would suddenly come through the rears as well. The sound for the parking sensors is also barely noticeable, especially the rear ones. Coming home from work the other night it was suddenly playing how it should be so I made the most of it and cranked the volume up for the journey, the following morning its suddenly now only playing through the centre speaker in the dash and nothing else, its been like this ever since.

Don't suppose anyone has any experience with these? I've taken the amp out to day thinking it was that but there's nothing obviously wrong with it (no dry joint or water damage etc) Is it likely to be the amp? or could it be the head unit?
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 18:44   #2
monkeh
Pain in the backside

The amp and the head unit are connected via fibre optic (orange cables) if these have been damaged, that could cause issues. Has your s80 had water ingress from the windscreen and been dried out?
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 20:23   #3
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
The amp and the head unit are connected via fibre optic (orange cables) if these have been damaged, that could cause issues. Has your s80 had water ingress from the windscreen and been dried out?
The windscreen is cracked in a couple of places but I've had the amp out today and opened it up, there's no signs of corrosion or damage inside it. Could it possibly be the Head unit? Nothing happened overnight but the stereo suddenly stopped playing on all bar the centre speaker and maybe the front tweeters. The car has no sunroof.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 17:45   #4
Oak

Yes TC, I've had exactly this issue. Your woofers have blown. I've done a few posts on this - I'll post them below.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oak For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 17:46   #5
Oak

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325120
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 17:47   #6
Oak

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319857
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:15   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Had this issue on both the Mk1 C70's I've owned, they Dynaudio speakers and very very good but fragile, if a bass junkie has owned the car the bass and maybe mid range units are likely siezed or blown. By siezed I mean the coil has overheated and deformed and the speaker does not operate as it should, with distorted sound or only at higher volumes.

Only solution is replacement units.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 14:11   #8
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Yes TC, I've had exactly this issue. Your woofers have blown. I've done a few posts on this - I'll post them below.
You sir are an absolute star!! This has been driving me insane, I love my music but at the moment I can't really play anything above a whisper and as you mentioned my parking sensors are barely audible at all. Can I ask what speakers you bought off Amazon?
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 11:25   #9
FloydV70
2008 V70 SE Sport D

Hi TC,

Take a look at this. It has been updated today after I got mine all fixed.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...99#post2831799

Basically, I replaced my Premium speakers with a set from a High Performance/Non-Dynaudio Volvo.

I wasted a lot of time and should have just listened to Oak's advice from the beginning.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 12:16   #10
Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
You sir are an absolute star!! This has been driving me insane, I love my music but at the moment I can't really play anything above a whisper and as you mentioned my parking sensors are barely audible at all. Can I ask what speakers you bought off Amazon?
Sorry I didn't see this - notifications don't seem to be that reliable here, at least for me?

I bought some off Amazon - Nothing special but try and match the impedance if you can. They are often quite low (2 Ohm or 4 Ohm I think?) and this means they're easier for the amp to drive. Chuck in higher and the amp will work harder to power them and then you risk damaging the amp earlier.

I bought these cheaper ones for the rear doors I think - Note they are NOT oval but clearly round! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MWX0SY/

I bought higher quality for the front but can't find the link. Same size though and as low as impedance as you can. The cheaper crappier speakers won't be low enough.

As mine didn't ever work when I got the car I don't know how much worse/better they are but the stereo sounds amazing now. I do have the optional Volvo sub too - so bass is not lacking in the slightest.

FRF Swansea did offer me a great reduction on the price of genuine Dynaudio - but this is an old car now. Speakers worth nearly half the cars value just didn't make sense to me but may to others?

All the best