Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800es Delores 1972 Blue

Views : 4068

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 11:10   #11
VolvoRoyS

I have followed this thread with interest as I bought my 1973 P1800ES last March on-line at the Bangers and Cash (Mathewsons) auction, also entirely unseen. Like Delores, the bodywork seems quite good with evidence of work done on the sills. It was made clear that the engine was not running well (see my thread on fuel injection) and while it will now idle I think the injectors are leaking as it's running rich. I wonder if the fuel injection on your car is working OK.
And I find the steering quite heavy so there might be work required there. How is the steering on your car?

Roy
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VolvoRoyS For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:37   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post
I have followed this thread with interest as I bought my 1973 P1800ES last March on-line at the Bangers and Cash (Mathewsons) auction, also entirely unseen. Like Delores, the bodywork seems quite good with evidence of work done on the sills. It was made clear that the engine was not running well (see my thread on fuel injection) and while it will now idle I think the injectors are leaking as it's running rich. I wonder if the fuel injection on your car is working OK.
And I find the steering quite heavy so there might be work required there. How is the steering on your car?

Roy
Hi Roy,

The best solution for heavy steering on the P1800ES is the Charles Atlas chest expander - build up those arm muscles!

:-)

Alan
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 13:56   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Steering is heavy at walking speeds. Steering joints tend to get tight as they age and wear. Try 32 psi all round for the tyres.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 16:39   #14
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post

Roy
Aside from being the normal heavy Volvo steering, possible contributing factors can be
- somebody has tightened up the adjustment screw on the steering box too much.
- the idler arm bushing has failed or is heavily worn (beware aftermarket reproductions)
- the tie rod joints are crusty. If the boots are intact this is less likely; however, if they are 50 years old the grease will eventually dry out.
- wider section width tires have been fitted
- the alignment has been altered.

Some owners alter the caster and camber settings. The caster setting spec on later 1800s is 0 to +1 deg. That is very little caster (compared to modern cars) and represents Volvo's trade off between ease of steering and greater high speed stability. More + caster increases stability; but, makes the steering heavier. If the caster is at +1 deg or greater, you can drop it to 0 deg which will make the steering a little lighter. The early 1800s had a service spec that allowed the caster to go to -1 deg. I personally would not do that unless the car is not going to be driven at highway speeds. Similarly, the camber angle spec is very small: 0 to +1/2 deg. Modern vehicles tend to run more negative camber which can improve corner traction; but, increases steering effort. Make sure that your camber is in the 0 to +1/2 deg range to minimize steering effort.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 17:58   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I have no idea, but purely as an 'off-the-wall' thought ...

Assuming that the existing system is correctly set up as described by '142 Guy' above, and if, on coming from a 'modern' car, heavy steering is an issue on your 'classic', is it possible to fit an after-market electric PS system?

They are now widely available for R + P equipped cars, so is it possible that such a kit exists or could be modified / adapted to work with other steering systems? I doubt it would be cheap, but it might provide an answer if one has a treasured classic that is becoming uncomfortably heavy to drive due to the advancing age of the owner!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 18:47   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Assuming that the existing system is correctly set up as described by '142 Guy' above, and if, on coming from a 'modern' car, heavy steering is an issue on your 'classic', is it possible to fit an after-market electric PS system?

They are now widely available for R + P equipped cars, so is it possible that such a kit exists or could be modified / adapted to work with other steering systems? I doubt it would be cheap, but it might provide an answer if one has a treasured classic that is becoming uncomfortably heavy to drive due to the advancing age of the owner!

Regards, John.
You mean something like this John?

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/.../universal-kit

I believe there is a UK supplier but haven't found it in my search results - likely to be a similar cost and contents though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 19:20   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I believe there is a UK supplier but haven't found it in my search results - likely to be a similar cost and contents though.
What an interesting discussion chaps. I suppose with shipping and duty the parts would end up costing about a grand - then fitting it might be a challenge.

Having driven both the RB and Aunt Maud today, here is my tuppence worth: the RB is an historic motor car but drives almost like a modern car (power steering and brakes plus 20 years worth of other improvements), GAM is the 1960s driving experience. The RB is a much better motor car but it does not have GAM's charm or style. I conclude: if one needs PAS then buy a 40 year old 244 - adding RB's functionality to Aunt Maud would no longer be the 1960s driving experience.

Just my thought.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 20th, 2022 at 19:20. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 19:35   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Found a UK supplier and in their blurb (can't remember which bit now though) they hint it's a lot less than a grand :

https://easysteer.co.uk/

Plenty of room under the dash for the add-on E-PAS unit and presumably could be tailored to suit the characteristics of GAM so the assistance was there (they also do speed sensitive additions) when needed for parking but drops off at speed. Also could be tweaked so it was "just enough" assistance to prevent a hernia during parking.......

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 19:56   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Exactly that, 'L.S.'.

While I fully accept Alan's point apropos the 1960's experience, is there not perhaps another consideration?

Cars produced up until that decade were almost universally equipped with cross-ply tyres. Radials began to gain ground in the '70s on account of their better handling characteristics, longer service life and improved fuel mileage.

It became accepted practice to replace cross-ply tyres with radials, especially as the cost of the latter began to fall with increasing demand. The downside of doing this was heavier steering due to the more flexible sidewalls of the radial increasing resistance to steering input at the wheel.

Cars of the period previously engineered for 'worm and peg' systems and cross-ply tyres were later re-engineered to better cope with the widespread adoption of radials and rack and pinion systems.

On that basis, I do not think that you would necessarily be sacrificing the charm of the 1960s driving experience, Alan. Rather, you would simply be adapting it to suit rapidly changing metrics as was widely the case in period. A little like replacing points ignition with the electronic equivalent today, perhaps?

Regards, John.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 20:22   #20
Snow White

Cool Roof Aerial

I really like the idea of a pennant. However, expanding this idea, I thought a period Bay City Rollers Scarf would do a good job if tied on tightly it would protest the paintwork from contact damage with the aerial tip when folded down.

I’m not really sure why the aerial is there, it serves no useful function.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post: