Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VOC National Rally & BKV 2022

Views : 24420

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2022, 00:05   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
wait for a closer bkv event theres usualy more than one

There is one every year, as they are always in the UK the event is never far away. Its only a 4 hour drive for me on Sunday morning
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 00:09   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
It says 'sold out' now, a real shame (I didn't realise it was limited). My lad and I planned to go but it'd now cost £70 for two memberships, never mind petrol to drive a 240 for 5.5 hours there and back. Hmmm...

I will ask if anything can be done

You might find you want to join the club anyway but I fully get it should be a option rather than being forced
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 00:29   #13
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie35 View Post
The club will always welcome non members to the National BKV.

The event is principally a day for the members, being paid for by the club from membership subscriptions.

We now have a much greater presence on social media and we simply do not want the event to be taken over by non members. It would not be fair on the fee paying members.

Jaki Ragg
The social media presence has not changed at all in recent years so I do not see the logic there.

I fully agree the event is for members but turning away non members detracts from the members experience in my opinion. Non members can not compete in the BKV so there is no issue there. Non members usually turn up in a Volvo. Non members often buy from the traders/autojumblers, non members do boost the event. The BKV is also the golden opportunity to sell membership. Every year I speak to at least one non member who tells me they have decided to join. Holding them at gun point is hardly the way to sell
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 08:20   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

I was a member 40 odd years ago, but lapsed membership as the local group - that was in existence at the time - were only interested in caravanning, something I have no interest in.

Although I remained a constant Volvo owner and attended BKV in recent years I never felt the urge to join the club. Last year I decided on the day to join and enter the C70 in the BKV and pleasantly surprised came second in class. I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership in the last year and will continue.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:16   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

As a long-standing member of the club, I fully concur with 'ITSv40's sentiments, above.

The VOC is an excellent, well-run club that offers something for everyone, be they or their cars young or old whatever their interests. Let us not forget that it is run by volunteers for the members and an awful lot of work is done 'behind the scenes' in planning and staging an event such as the 'National'.

It is also unusual in making events such as this FOC to members - many other clubs charge - often significantly - to attend such events. That we are free to do so is also much appreciated and a valuable benefit of membership.

In the past, the club has welcomed non-members to this and similar events, also without charge. This has not changed. It is indeed an opportunity to promote the advantages of membership, but nobody is being held at 'gunpoint'.

A change in the rules by the organising committee requiring pre-booking is not unreasonable for the reasons explained above to meet changing circumstances. It has been published in the magazine and on this forum, so most interested parties, members and non-members alike, will be aware of the change. Pre-booking also indicates a degree of commitment to attend, and gives the organisers an indication on numbers and interest.

This forum is an excellent resource populated by both members and non-members alike. Surely it is not an imposition to ask non-members wishing to attend, where they will be most welcome, to register their intent to do so.

Let us not allow a small administrative change for very good reasons to be blown out of proportion into a major issue that could overshadow the event and spoil our enjoyment of it. I am sure arrangements will have been made by the organisers to deal sympathetically with the very few who may have slipped through the net and may therefore be unaware of the requirement. Finally, how much, or how little, one spends in order to attend is a personal matter which not has nothing to do with the organisers, but is also totally outwith their control.

Like us also hope for good weather and an enjoyable day for everyone - whether they are already a member or yet to become one!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 17:28   #16
JDH

Quote:
It says 'sold out' now, a real shame (I didn't realise it was limited). My lad and I planned to go but it'd now cost £70 for two memberships, never mind petrol to drive a 240 for 5.5 hours there and back. Hmmm...
I have two spare tickets for tomorrow which i obtained then subsequently became a member so will be attending via my membership , they have names printed on them so if they are transferable i would be happy to give them to you so you can attend the show. If you can find out if this can be done via the organisers i will find a way to send them over to you via email perhaps.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 18:36   #17
Chris152

Thank you, JDH - PM sent.
Chris
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 18:43   #18
Chris Wickers
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I have two spare tickets for tomorrow which i obtained then subsequently became a member so will be attending via my membership , they have names printed on them so if they are transferable i would be happy to give them to you so you can attend the show. If you can find out if this can be done via the organisers i will find a way to send them over to you via email perhaps.

No problem to transfer them.

Thanks for joining.

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 18:47   #19
JDH

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you, JDH - PM sent.
Chris
Sorry I can't reply to the PM as I have not met the quota of posts to do so yet , but thats great you have it sorted have a safe journey down and may bump into you tomorrow
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 19:17   #20
Moomoo
VOC Member

Forum handle badges would be useful!👍