Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG a bit low on 2014 S60 D4 auto?

Views : 1775

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 22:04   #11
Ashmere

Our v50 2.0d returns low 40s and still averaged 36 with 1100kg caravan, very good I thought almost double what our previous Toyota rav4 did,
Ashmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 08:25   #12
montecarlos

I have tried to be extremely light footed that's when I hit the highest.

With ECO+ mode on too, but it's too hot at the moment for that as it turns off the AC.

My 33 mile drive is 60mpg single lane A roads/B roads and a few villages @ 30mph along the way. Some rolling hills. I suspect the Volvo is tuned for good MPG when cruising motorways rather than the 60mph winding roads.

I get on a duel carriage way about 2 miles long @ 50mph and the whole drive down there it's reading 70-99mpg, it's a nice and flat straight road.

I'm yet to drive it on a motorway since the first day I got it, but it did seem to do nicely MPG wise that day so perhaps I just have to accept it's a motorway cruiser

Last edited by montecarlos; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 08:28.
montecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 10:19   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^^^ That

The only certainty about on dash fuel consumption figures is 90% of the time they are not accurate - they either over read or under read - in some cases quite significantly. On Volvo models they can be adjusted, hence it's not as simple as a calculation.

You need to brim to brim all the cars to understand their true figures.

My 2015 XC60 the dash board is usually 0.5 MPG optimistic.

My old 2003 XC90 the board was 3-4 MPG optimistic, same with my Ford Ranger.

I used to have an Audi A4 2.0 Tdi company car and that was all over - on long runs it was 1-2 MPG optimistic, on urban/mixed that could be up to 4 to 5.

Friend has a Porsche Macan with the VAG V6 diesel and that is 7-8 MPG optimistic...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 10:59   #14
montecarlos

Yeah I understand the cluster reading is at best a hopeful guesstimate, I reflected on that in my original post.

Brim to brim would be good but that means I need to run my car from a full tank, which is I believe 68L thus adding the weight of another human resulting in worse MPG haha
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 13:39   #15
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlos View Post
I have tried to be extremely light footed that's when I hit the highest.

With ECO+ mode on too, but it's too hot at the moment for that as it turns off the AC.

My 33 mile drive is 60mpg single lane A roads/B roads and a few villages @ 30mph along the way. Some rolling hills. I suspect the Volvo is tuned for good MPG when cruising motorways rather than the 60mph winding roads.

I get on a duel carriage way about 2 miles long @ 50mph and the whole drive down there it's reading 70-99mpg, it's a nice and flat straight road.

I'm yet to drive it on a motorway since the first day I got it, but it did seem to do nicely MPG wise that day so perhaps I just have to accept it's a motorway cruiser
The diesel hybrid would have suited you for 25 of your 33 mile drive. (That used to give me 110mpg to and from work) but you'd be back down to 45-50 on the motorway with an empty battery.

Life is a compromise !
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:51   #16
montecarlos

48 again today!

Not very impressed in all honesty, was hoping this car would be cheaper to run than my A4!

Worst mpg I've seen out of a 2L diesel
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 10:10   #17
Buckshot61

Quote:
48 again today!

Not very impressed in all honesty, was hoping this car would be cheaper to run than my A4!

There are a lot of things that could affect fuel consumption. Airfilter, tirepressure, brakes etc. Does the car have a service history? The biggest factor is probably different drivingstyles. I use the cruisecontrol most of the time with just the occational rush.

Last edited by Buckshot61; Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:14.
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 10:50   #18
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
48 again today!

It's almost impossible to compare accurately if something were wrong with your car that was affecting your MPG, by comparing it against what others are getting unless it was wildly out. There are too many variables, with the biggest two being, your driving route and driving style.

The best hope you could have of finding out if your car had something wrong with it affecting the MPG would be to get a hold of the same model of car and driving the same route and see what MPG you get from it.
I appreciate that's not necessarily a straight forward task. Options I can think of would be to get a test drive of one on sale locally, or if someone on here local to you was willing to let you have a go.

Beyond making sure your car was properly serviced, oil, filters, belts, tyre pressure etc, and any fault codes, I'm not sure there's much you can do.

The only other point I'd make would be the difference between 45mpg and 55mpg, would be about 3p per mile. So if you're doing 10,000 miles a year, we're talking around £300 per year, or £6 per week. Which isn't to be sniffed at but, something to bear in mind if you were to spend money trying to fix a fault.

Last (not very helpful) suggestion I can give :
https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermi...0year%E2%80%9D.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 12:58   #19
Rocinante
Master Member

This thread may be useful to you too:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323406
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 15:13   #20
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Here are the 5 things I would do negating dealer visits where you'll get nothing more than patter,

1 - Replace Air & Fuel filters & do an oil change if it's not been done recently

2 - Add a whole Redex treatment (use your clubcard) to a full tank tank and drive 20 miles to get it to sit in the fuel system when not in use for a day or two

3 - Force a re-gen by getting on a clear motorway for 20 minutes @ 40 mph in a low gear to keep the revs at 2500-3000 rpm constantly

4 - Whisk your wife/hubby/partner away somewhere 200 miles away for a weekend away then sell the story to the Daily Mail

5 - Let the handbrake off

I still don't think there's anything wrong with it and it is what it is, however dirty oil & filters do impact a diesel engine more than ppl realise.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote