Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox and Prop connections

Views : 502

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2022, 17:01   #1
maccamacca

Default Gearbox and Prop connections

Hello Gentlemen and of course Ladies.....

I'm looking for a little advise. I'm just installing a replacement gearbox to my 62 Amazon and I have a problem.......
The flange connections from the Box to the Prop are different (Original Box- M40/254249 - has type 1 flange and new Box M40G/254498 has type 2 flange). I looked at swapping the Gearbox flange's but they are a different sized spline so this isn't an option.

My question is will the front section of a type 2 Prop connect to the aft section of a type 1 Prop: ie are they the same connecting spline and nut? Looking for a quick fix and have access to the Type2 Prop front section but don't want to go and get it unless I know its going to work.
I'll repair the original gearbox at a later date.......Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance

Mac
maccamacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 17:03   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default propshaft

Your question does make sense though i cannot give a definite answer.
By type 1 prop, is that the type using the u bolts around the Hardy Spicer, type 2 having the pair of rubber bush supported pins for the centre bearing?
Based on this I have a spare rear prop section (type 2) and can measure the bore and count the splines for you to compare with your type 1 front section.
Let me know and i can check this tomorrow.
The M40G boxes were fitted to the later Amazons, I would fit it and if it is OK I would leave it in and keep your old unit as a spare. Unless your plan is based on originality.
Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 15:15   #3
maccamacca

Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply.......problem solved. I simply took the connecting flange off the replacement Prop and installed it on my original Prop with a new universal joint. This now matches with the flange on the new box so all seems good.
Thanks for your input. I'll strip the original box down and look into the problem after the summer, hopefully an easy fix.......thanks again

Macca
maccamacca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maccamacca For This Useful Post: