Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One week and 600 miles in.

Views : 1200

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 07:27   #1
rickmethven
2010 V70 2.4 Manual

Default One week and 600 miles in.

As the title suggests, now had the P3 for a week and covered 600 miles.

Good things;
Fuel consumption seems slightly better, still got just under 1/4 tank indicated.
Suspension and ride feels smoother than my old P2...but it has done 100k less.
Extra toys inside Who knew a remote boot release was so good!!!
Headlights...much better.

Not so good.
No left foot rest next to clutch?? I even put my head back in my old one to check I wasn't going daft!
Floor pan in front of drivers seat still not flat, same in P2. Slight bump next to transmission tunnel.
Wing mirrors have slight play.- Still fold but they have a wobble to the touch.
Dog guard keeps dropping down. Wondering if it's aftermarket as the one in my old P2 was so strong it could take your fingers off when folded up.

Looking forward to next 100k!
rickmethven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rickmethven For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 09:11   #2
dhr90

Interesting. My V60 has the same issue with the floor pan not being flat and the raised but by the transmission tunnel. This is the only car I’ve been in that has this issue and it annoys me every time.
Re the wing mirrors, I believe that is okay caused by folding. I had to replace one 3/4 years ago thanks to some drunk ripping one off, the replacement had no play (slight play has now developed) but the other side has very obvious play in it.
What engine do you have out of curiosity?
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 10:45   #3
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmethven View Post
As the title suggests, now had the P3 for a week and covered 600 miles.

Good things;
Fuel consumption seems slightly better, still got just under 1/4 tank indicated.
Suspension and ride feels smoother than my old P2...but it has done 100k less.
Extra toys inside Who knew a remote boot release was so good!!!
Headlights...much better.

Not so good.
No left foot rest next to clutch?? I even put my head back in my old one to check I wasn't going daft!
Floor pan in front of drivers seat still not flat, same in P2. Slight bump next to transmission tunnel.
Wing mirrors have slight play.- Still fold but they have a wobble to the touch.
Dog guard keeps dropping down. Wondering if it's aftermarket as the one in my old P2 was so strong it could take your fingers off when folded up.

Looking forward to next 100k!

Mutt guard shocks have had it, a common issue.
£23 each from volvo, themselves, Im astounded that people on ebay charge £45 for one!.
I dislike not having the fart pedal (footrest)
If its the mirror itself, They may be missing the white retainer flaps and its evidence they could have been replaced.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:09   #4
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Mutt guard shocks have had it, a common issue.
£23 each from volvo, themselves, Im astounded that people on ebay charge £45 for one!.
I dislike not having the fart pedal (footrest)
If its the mirror itself, They may be missing the white retainer flaps and its evidence they could have been replaced.
Interesting about the foot/fart pedal! I remember my Dad getting frustrated at there not being one on his (manual) Volvo 240's!! In the end I think he got hold of a length of squared aluminium (about 18inches in length and around 1.5-2 inches in diameter. He then bent it round (imagine snail shaped) to fit (a) the flooring edge and (b) ensured sufficient length to rest his foot on. He then velcro'd it to the floor..and happy days! Various designs of foot pedal available on eBay. Wonder if anybody's found a solution to the missing foot pedal thing...

Last edited by BigGreenThing; Jun 30th, 2022 at 12:12.
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:46   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The P3 toys are a joy and you can go on finding additional ones long after you first get the car!

I can't find which model you have but on the V and XC 70's it is possible to fit a plug-in module in the OBD2 socket that allows you to not only open the tailgate but also to0 close it from both the dashboard button and the remote. It doesn't really make a huge difference but it's just great to be able to do it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296675 covers the details of the latest unit. The only current problem is that Evgeny in a Russian and I don't know if the current Russia/Ukraine situation will inhibit his ability to supply this item.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:59   #6
rickmethven
2010 V70 2.4 Manual

I have the 2.4d (175) Updated my bio but it doesn't seem to be showing which is weird. Currently showing 48mpg.
Big D5 engine cover under the bonnet so unsure why they made so many variants. (Emissions?)
I don't think mine has the swirl flaps maybe somebody on here can confirm.

Good to know about dog guard struts. Will get them ordered.
Foot pedal is more annoying, I can't understand why Volvo would take it away??

Mirror wobble is entire housing. Not noticeable when driving just to the touch. Again, checked my old 274k P2 and they are still rock solid. (Can the indicator lenses from the P2 mirrors fit in the P3? I have one that's cracked.)

Also forgot the skooshers for the windscreen. Were not working when I got it so stripped out the T and L valve and cleaned up which restored some spray but it's weak. Can someone tell me the correct part numbers please.

It's just great to be back in car the shifts and doesn't rattle/squeak/creak. It's amazing what you get used to driving.
rickmethven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 18:39   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Just so you know my '15 reg has the foot rest (automatic) so if you plan on keeping the car long term I guess you could get drivers footwell carpet from a late S80/V70/XC70 breaker...provided it fits a manual car.

Both door mirrors have a slight fore/aft movement...drivers side more noticeable.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 19:25   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

Volvo's five cylinder engines exist in a very large number of variants, for petrol, diesel and gas. Sometimes almost identical versions have succeeded each other, for some power and/or emission improvement between the years.

Note that D5 is a description of a diesel engine with a certain power, and that's it. It may be four or five cylinder, depending on in which car model it's built in.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 21:34   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Volvo's five cylinder engines exist in a very large number of variants, for petrol, diesel and gas. Sometimes almost identical versions have succeeded each other, for some power and/or emission improvement between the years.

Note that D5 is a description of a diesel engine with a certain power, and that's it. It may be four or five cylinder, depending on in which car model it's built in.
For the P3-based V60 and V70, in the UK at least, the D5 was only ever a 2.4-litre 5-cylinder diesel.

Unless I am mistaken, the change to using 'D5' to mean the most powerful non-hybrid diesel irrespective of the number of cylinders came when Volvo started using the SPA platform.

D3 and D4 have had a more complicated history, however.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 22:37   #10
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The P3 toys are a joy and you can go on finding additional ones long after you first get the car!

I can't find which model you have but on the V and XC 70's it is possible to fit a plug-in module in the OBD2 socket that allows you to not only open the tailgate but also to0 close it from both the dashboard button and the remote. It doesn't really make a huge difference but it's just great to be able to do it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296675 covers the details of the latest unit. The only current problem is that Evgeny in a Russian and I don't know if the current Russia/Ukraine situation will inhibit his ability to supply this item.

Russian, living in Canada 😉