Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Require help with D4164T

Views : 2563

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 18:05   #41
KJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you have the crankshaft pin in the service position? It is not necessarily top dead centre , Usually with volvo it is a position where the pistons are all half way down the bore to allow you to turn the camshafts to line up the marks without the valves hitting the pistons .. Maybe it will save you a lot of time if you check this .
IF the valves have hit the pistons it can shear the key between cam sprockets and camshaft too and on the D5 the cam lobes can turn on the camshaft which is really hard to find , Not sure about the 1.6 Diesel though .
We moved the crank from the pin setting to the piston tdc and counted the belt teeth moved, we did the same for the cam and the lobes are nowhere near tdc to fire. All lobes on the inlet and outlet look the same position but the inlet and the exhaust lobes are opening valves at the same time. Something has moved and I think the only part is the chain sprocket. The cam belt pulley is fine as is the locating lug.
KJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 18:40   #42
Bloders2

glad it seems your making some progress.
you could do a leakdown test? Get piston to tdC, lock engine (in gear, foot on brake) and feed compressed air into the cylinder - any leakage is not good
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 21:08   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post
We moved the crank from the pin setting to the piston tdc and counted the belt teeth moved, we did the same for the cam and the lobes are nowhere near tdc to fire. All lobes on the inlet and outlet look the same position but the inlet and the exhaust lobes are opening valves at the same time. Something has moved and I think the only part is the chain sprocket. The cam belt pulley is fine as is the locating lug.
So you are happy that the chain is right , and you put the pin in the crankshaft pulley hole to lock it .. Then you put the the pin in the camshaft pulley and it fits ?
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 07:35   #44
Bloders2

ive not looked that deeply into these engines.
I assume you mean that the first cam, whihc you peg during a belt change is correct, but the second cam whihc is driven by the chain is out of syn with the first cam?

was it assembled correctly? I recal, though may be wrong you had the head skimmed, so all valves and both cams would have been removed?

Sounds as though it was put together wrong from there.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 07:57   #45
KJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
ive not looked that deeply into these engines.
I assume you mean that the first cam, whihc you peg during a belt change is correct, but the second cam whihc is driven by the chain is out of syn with the first cam?

was it assembled correctly? I recal, though may be wrong you had the head skimmed, so all valves and both cams would have been removed?

Sounds as though it was put together wrong from there.
Cams were not touched, they are in a separate housing so I assumed they were correct. If you check the photos the one which shows the marks on the chain sprockets are correct but when you look at the lobes in the last picture with their position, the inlet and outlet would be slightly open at the same time so something has moved. The lobes are all at 45 degrees so I can only assume it's the sprocket that's moved if they are pressed on the shaft. This explains the not starting with easy start.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 13:10   #46
KJA

New camshafts here, Inlet was ok but the Exhaust had been knocked out by 1/4 turn. Never seen it before and would never have suspected it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7436 (600x450).jpg (146.5 KB, 12 views)
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 18:52   #47
Bloders2

strange! good luck
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 15:13   #48
KJA

Just an update, now the weather is better it's all back together and running fine. A learning curve, never take for granted cam shafts are correct!!
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 15:17   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post
Just an update, now the weather is better it's all back together and running fine. A learning curve, never take for granted cam shafts are correct!!
well i did mention that 12 days ago
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 21:39   #50
KJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well i did mention that 12 days ago
Not exactly, timing was mentioned but the sprocket marks were correctly lined up as were all the timing marks. There was nothing mentioned about chain sprockets slipping on shafts and therefore putting the lobes out. Even when I posted the pictures of my suspicion there was no help for that. I could only tell after purchasing new shafts.