Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 having intermittent difficulty starting

Views : 3765

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 16:07   #21
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Brookhouse sell the correct one
Only just saw this after I'd been on Ebay

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 16:30   #22
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Only just saw this after I'd been on Ebay
I would be wary of cheapo ones as I seem to remember someone on here fitting one and it didn't work

Might have been LPT Joe ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 17:36   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've bought the Bosch one for £22.52 from an Ebay seller with 100% pos feedback who is a Bosch authorised seller. There were cheaper Bosch ones from sellers with poor feedback. Now to get through to next Thursday or so with this starting difficulty!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/028013006...YAAOSw4tpc3Q2Z
Start it on gas Ellie. Usually the procedure is turn the ignition key to position 2 (warning lights etc on, engine not running) where the LPG switch will light up with the LED flashing (usually) on and the switch in the normal positioin for auto changeover to gas once warmed up.
If you have a rocker switch, turn it the other way to petrol then back to gas - the flashing LED should stop and the Gas LED light up - now start the car without turning the ignition off. Just be a bit gentle with it until it warms up properly.

If that doesn't work, leave the LPG switch in the normal position and press the acclerator all the way to the floor, now turn the key from the 0 position to the start position andit shoudl fire fairly easily - let go of the throttle pedal as soon as it fires but keep your foot ready to catch it if it tries to die. If the CTS has failed the usual way (gone high) it will be telling the ECU the car is in Siberia during a cold snap!

Quote:
I would be wary of cheapo ones as I seem to remember someone on here fitting one and it didn't work

I think you're right Mark, i think it was Joe but there have been several others that i can't think of.

Mine as i mentioned earlier has been ok on an Intermotor one, i suspect most people would be ok but given the amount of people that haven't been ok with anything other than Bosch, i would advise Bosch would be the safest bet.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 19:57   #24
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Insist on the correct Bosch item.

I have a Bosch agent near to me so if I can find the Bosch number for a particular item I buy it from them by part number, BUT, recently when I rang them for availability of a lambda sensor, quoting the part number, they said that they had one in stock. I thought this unusual but went to collect it. They were trying to sell me a different brand which was supposed to be the equivalent and was considerably cheaper. I refused that item and asked them to order the genuine Bosch one and had to wait a couple of days for it to arrive.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 20:41   #25
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:

I bought a Bosch one from a Bosch authorised dealer on Ebay with 100% feedback. It appears the rrp is about £45, Volvos charge about £55 but I have got mine for about £22 on Ebay.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 20:48   #26
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Start it on gas Ellie. Usually the procedure is turn the ignition key to position 2 (warning lights etc on, engine not running) where the LPG switch will light up with the LED flashing (usually) on and the switch in the normal positioin for auto changeover to gas once warmed up.
If you have a rocker switch, turn it the other way to petrol then back to gas - the flashing LED should stop and the Gas LED light up - now start the car without turning the ignition off. Just be a bit gentle with it until it warms up properly.

If that doesn't work, leave the LPG switch in the normal position and press the acclerator all the way to the floor, now turn the key from the 0 position to the start position andit shoudl fire fairly easily - let go of the throttle pedal as soon as it fires but keep your foot ready to catch it if it tries to die. If the CTS has failed the usual way (gone high) it will be telling the ECU the car is in Siberia during a cold snap!
I've tried starting it on gas since Thursday the way you recommended when my fuel pump died last year but I had no luck, I don't think there is a way to do it with my Prins set up. I've asked in LPG section yesterday if anyone knows how to start my system on gas.

It dies immediately it starts, automatically, you don't even have a chance to do anything, I guess it fires for half a second at most?

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 21:10   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've tried starting it on gas since Thursday the way you recommended when my fuel pump died last year but I had no luck, I don't think there is a way to do it with my Prins set up. I've asked in LPG section yesterday if anyone knows how to start my system on gas.

It dies immediately it starts, automatically, you don't even have a chance to do anything, I guess it fires for half a second at most?
I can't find any manuals online for a Prins system and i don't know myself what the procedure is for that one. I did however find an emergency start procedure for the later Prins Liquid-Phase injection system to force the engine to start on petrol!

You could possibly try that method and see if it starts on gas. Instead of turning the key to position 2, switching to petrol then back to gas on the switch then trying to start it, press and hold the LPG switch for 5+ seconds then try starting.
It may work, it may not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 11:46   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

I won't try and start on lpg any more due to having totally flattened my battery which is now on a nice slow trickle charge but just out of interest this is my guage. The rocker on the right of the guage is nothing to do with lpg, thats my air con switch. The top led at 12 o clock is red when running on petrol and green when running on lpg and the lower green leds show how much lpg I have, quarter, half, three quarters, full tank. Occassionally the top led reads amber and an alarm sounds, when you've really really booted it on a motorway overtake and it's reverted to petrol. The middle of the guage is where you switch between lpg and petrol

Edited to say I must be BRC not Prins since I have a BRC guage I've just noticed!

prins 002 by Strider'swoman, on Flickr

Last edited by Laney760; Aug 25th, 2019 at 11:57.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 12:32   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's a pain in the wotsits Ellie!

I've found some information to emergency start on gas on yours, switch ignition to position 2, press and hold the button for 5 seconds and the indicator changes colour to orange, then start it.
However, it also appears you can only do this 5 times on your system (assuming i've picked the right one) before needing your LPG ECU reset and presumably the petrol starting fault is cleared at the same time.

Looks like you're stuck with starting on petrol, given the fact it's likely to be over-fueling, try the flooded engine procedure (floor the throttle before touching the key, then try starting releasing as soon as it fires but keeping ready to catch the engine if the revs start to drop) or perhaps a variation on that - turn the key to start and gradually press the accelerator to the floor. Might need a bit of experimentation to find what works easiest! Another option is to put the pedal halfway down before turning the key.

Good luck with it and hopefully your new sensor turns up quickly!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 08:47   #30
Laney760
VOC Member

Car is a complete non-starter this morning so I am not on my way to work! Last week I managed to get it going every day eventually as my gut instinct told me it was flooded and I treated it as such. This morning I remembered what was said about the car thinking its in Siberia so I gave it lots of gas, big mistake! Then I read Dave's last post which I had only read the lpg part of before, I was right, it is flooding! Just leaving it 10 minutes before I have another go, glad I trickle charged that battery!

Edited to say that normally, even in winter, I never ever have to give my 940 any gas to start, I don't touch the throttle, just turn the key. Is this unusual? She's been like this since as long as I can remember

Last edited by Laney760; Aug 27th, 2019 at 08:56.