Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Gear Selection Improvement

Views : 358

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2019, 20:19   #1
Naked Overlord

Default First Gear Selection Improvement

I had worn gear linkage selection bushes and replaced them which removed most but not all of the play in the gear linkage but selecting first when stationary could still be difficult. I looked under the gaiter and the reverse gate is what prevents it moving further to the left. The "gate" is a bracket fixed to the large casting the gear lever goes into. The bracket is just a 90 degree piece bolted down. I removed this and cut about 3mm off its outside edge and elongated the fixing holes. This allows it to be fitted a bit further away from the lever giving the lever a bit more travel to the left. This extra travel gives easy first gear selection. If moving it further away causes any problems it can be returned to it original position.

Last edited by Naked Overlord; Sep 28th, 2019 at 20:31.
Naked Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 20:54   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Overlord View Post
I had worn gear linkage selection bushes and replaced them which removed most but not all of the play in the gear linkage but selecting first when stationary could still be difficult. I looked under the gaiter and the reverse gate is what prevents it moving further to the left. The "gate" is a bracket fixed to the large casting the gear lever goes into. The bracket is just a 90 degree piece bolted down. I removed this and cut about 3mm off its outside edge and elongated the fixing holes. This allows it to be fitted a bit further away from the lever giving the lever a bit more travel to the left. This extra travel gives easy first gear selection. If moving it further away causes any problems it can be returned to it original position.
did you chage all the bushes at the front end and rear end of the rod ?
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 20:03   #3
Naked Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
did you chage all the bushes at the front end and rear end of the rod ?
Yes, front and rear. Its been a few years since I've done them but from memory there was still play ahead of the front bush possibly where it goes into the gearbox.

Last edited by Naked Overlord; Sep 29th, 2019 at 20:15.
Naked Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote