Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering issue...

Views : 1046

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 10:12   #1
AndyPV

Default Power steering issue...

Morning,

I'm hoping to get some advice about a power steering issue on my V60 (2012).

It's an intermittent fault which makes the steering stiff to turn - mainly to the left - before there's a clunk and the steering returns to normal.

It's not doing it all the time - it's worse first thing in the morning, and sometimes there's no issue at all.

The car has been to two independent garages, it's had the electronic sensors reset (not the right term I know, but can't recall what the garage said), and it was not showing any error codes.

One garage suggested it could be the PS pump, but didn't want to change it and then find out it made no difference. They said the rack looks fine.

Before I take it to a main dealer, I was hoping someone may have come across this before and give me an idea of what it could be...

If it's the pump, then I'll get it done, but I just don't have the money to throw at a lot of new parts in the hope it will fix the problem.

Thanks for your help

Andy
AndyPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 17:21   #2
SeaShell

Hi Andy,

Does your car have fully electric power steering?

I have posted previously about the steering on mine being lumpy when the wheels are coming back to the straight ahead position following a very slight right hand turn.

Again had it checked and all seems solid enough.

Like you not sure where to look next...
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 11:53   #3
AndyPV

Sorry for the delay, but the update is I've had to take the car to a Volvo main dealer to have a look at the steering, which is electric...

I shall let you know the outcome and how much it potentially hurts...
AndyPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:23   #4
Glebee

The power steering is gone in my S60 and nobody can tell me what the problem is. Been to Volvo and independent garages. Racks repalced, pumps replaced still no power steering solution.
Glebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:19   #5
Pluszowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
Hi Andy,

Does your car have fully electric power steering?

I have posted previously about the steering on mine being lumpy when the wheels are coming back to the straight ahead position following a very slight right hand turn.

Again had it checked and all seems solid enough.

Like you not sure where to look next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPV View Post
Sorry for the delay, but the update is I've had to take the car to a Volvo main dealer to have a look at the steering, which is electric...

I shall let you know the outcome and how much it potentially hurts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
The power steering is gone in my S60 and nobody can tell me what the problem is. Been to Volvo and independent garages. Racks repalced, pumps replaced still no power steering solution.

Did you all get it sorted? I'm having exactly the same problem while Vida shows no faults at all.
Pluszowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 09:42   #6
Freyalass

Default Power Steering

I was driving my V60 yesterday and suddenly on the display came up power steering service required and lost all power steering whilst driving. Got in it this morning and it was fine for 100 meters then gone again. Same display. Ideas?
Freyalass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power assisted steering, power steering failure, power steering pump, v60 2011