Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 - no power when kick down

Views : 10934

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:50   #71
850volan

Hi all! i've got exact same problem. I found out that the swirl throttle linkage was disconnected due to age . After putting it in place and everything is back to normal. i think it's what everyone should check first.
850volan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:25   #72
NorthantsPete

I think it's fuel.

Im not very far in but my MPG calculation test didnt last long on Vpower!

200 miles in, weird no power-not-quite-limp-mode issue comes back.

Next fill, I stick in some Tesco fuel - all ok.

Next mpg test, BP ultimate, 600 miles no issues

Next BP standard fuel, 600 miles no issues.

Next, Shell city diesel - 600 miles no issues, mpg recorded - difference felt in engine noise but power feels down, yet less clattery, doesnt shift down a gear as quick.

No issues on normal fuel but still, even the types of fuel for 300+ miles is noticable.

Im now trying to find which fuel gets best mpg for the £, nice to know BP's premium doesnt cause it but vpowers liquid gas does.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 19:26   #73
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I use supermarket diesel almost exclusively however on one occasion I had to fill up on Shell and I chose VPower because it was available and my supermarkets don't sell any upgraded diesels so I thought I'd see what it did. And I found that the car seemed more responsive. This could be placebo effect and since I'm not prepared to pay the extra I went back to the cheap stuff so my experience isn't conclusive except that the VPower didn't cause any problems and that wasn't placebo.

I've come across this fuel /performance allegation on other car forums and there is never a conclusive outcome. I've now fitted the Polestar optimisation and even the cheap fuel pushes the car into the sound barrier (exaggeration!)
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 01:37   #74
ferg55

Hi Pete,

Your issue categorically is not due to the type of fuel, as per my previous reply. You have an intermittent fault with one of your components, and it is most likely your 2nd hand MAF sensor. As it is intermittent, it may be fine for 100's of miles, then become problematic, then fine again. This is giving you the false impression that the fuel you happen to be using during those miles is having an effect, but in fact it isn't. Air temperature, humidity or any number of factors may be having an adverse effect and causing it to malfunction now and again, as MAF's are incredibly sensitive. I hope I don't sound blunt, but I just don't want to see you wasting more money on premium fuels and additives to try and solve your problem. Hope this helps mate
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 08:23   #75
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Hi Pete,
I hope I don't sound blunt
Not blunt enough to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
I just don't want to see you wasting more money on premium fuels and additives to try and solve your problem.
Err do you mind, I've just bought shares in a snakeoil company, your damaging my profit margins... How am I going to feed the children?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2021, 20:04   #76
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Holy thread revival batman!
Did anyone or OP get to the bottom of this?
I've had the same issue with mine. When I bought my car I scanned it with vida, a code for swirl flaps came up, sure enough the linkage had come off. Drove faultlessly on a 50 mile journey home...
Did an 80 mile journey faultlessly today until it came to overtaking on a motorway, flat, no poke, accelerated extremely slowly, I couldn't feel the turbo. So popped off at a junction, attempted to pull off, dangerous (lack of) acceleration. Parked up to check things. Decided to reconnect the swirl motor and started it up... Back to normal?! Turbo kicked in, drove perfectly! Added another 40 miles, and a further 200 miles homeward bound, without fault.

I'm hoping this is a one off. But I'm going to clean the intake and replace her flaps. At 169k without history or evidence of egr cleaning, I suspect gummage to the max!
Old May 30th, 2021, 23:47   #77
ferg55

We never heard back from Pete. Maybe he tried rocket fuel one day...

I have exactly same issue, only happens in cold weather, stopping and restarting after 5 mins resolves it. Presume it's MAF but haven't got round to changing it, I just live with it.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 07:57   #78
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Morning....

The notion that it is supermarket fuel is unfounded. There are six refineries that produce petrol in the UK and none of them are owned by Supermarkets..... it's the same stuff more or less that you get from a branded forecourt.

First thing is to get is plugged in to some diagnostic equipment that understands Volvo - i.e. preferably Volvo VIDA at a dealer or Indie. There are a number of faults that can put the 185 D5 into a not well documented "restricted power" mode (rather than limp mode) and this doesn't put any lights or messages on the dashboard.

The scenarios I have personally experienced are intermittent or complete failures of the DPF and Catalyst temperature sensors. In this mode the revs are limited to around 3k rpm, but under that it will drive okay so it's possible not to notice - even on an auto - if you are just pottering about.
Yes , yet another Myth which circulates around the internet ...
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:19   #79
dingov70
Master Member

Had exactly this issue with mine & simply removed the front bumper , struggled with the intercooler /radiator/ crossmember assembly ................. AND swapped the MAP sensor fitted to the top of the intercooler in the most ridiculous location since ever . The zero power issue was worst first thing in the morning & occurred whenever it felt like it ( buy genuine , as you will NOT want to perform the same task in two weeks time ! ) I was not getting any messages or warning lights , live data reading showed very strange values from the sensor .