Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel runaway - do you have action plan / take precautions?

Views : 5238

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2015, 22:30   #21
volvorocks
Rodney

Wouldn't ramming a potato in the exhaust pipe stop it? Or would it get blown out with the pressure?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 08:36   #22
dingov70
Master Member

Only works in "comedy films " and you would soon find any weak points in exhaust , Oh and you would probably suffer badly from the smoke plume pouring out the tail pipe
dingov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 09:06   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksu View Post
I thought all modern diesels have a throttle body which is effectively an air cut off valve.
I tried checking about the function of what is called a shut off valve or throttle body in Google and I'm still not sure if it fully closes when the key is turned off. Some of them are anti chatter valves that restrict air flow at idle and open up when the engine revs up, BUT I've never hear of a newer turbo diesel doing a runner, so it might well be true.

When folks panic and turn the key off they often lock up the steering, which is bad news if you are trying to turn off the road.

The ECU over rev limiter does not function with a runaway, so it's important to kill the engine ASAP and the only way to do that is to jam the gear lever into a high gear and stall it.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 09:53   #24
5cilinder
Premier Member

Smile

The valve closes completely for anti-shudder with engine shutoff but opens completely afterworths but probably when rpm is zero

Last edited by 5cilinder; Mar 2nd, 2015 at 09:56.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:33   #25
sam270

My 2010 2.0D V50 had a runaway last week. 143k miles. Didn't think to stall it, just got out due to the amount of smoke and steam. A few flames as well due to the melting insulation on the underside of the engine cover. It carried on for about 1 minute and stopped. After being towed home I tried to start the engine, it still turns over on the starter so hasn't seized or bend a con rod. Its likely to be because of the turbo as this was replaced 6 months ago.

Now the engine wont start and I guess it is either not getting fuel due to damaged injectors or little/no compression. There is a risk of doing further damage with a now (more) dodgey turbo however I'm not too concerned about it as the engine has had a runaway. I am also interested to see if I can get her running again.

Has anyone had a similar experience or recommend next steps like using a compression tester or testing / replacing injectors? Scrap it before going down the rabbit hole? Thanks.
sam270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:07   #26
mopedmick

Buy another car as it will not be worth the time and money, or replace engine if the car is worth it ......
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mopedmick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 18:34   #27
dingov70
Master Member

Sam 270 , you most likely have a selection of bent valves , bent con-rods , cam belt having jumped a tooth or two , broken / leaking head gasket all adding up to costly work and being the cause of , bite the bullet & get another engine .
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 14:12   #28
Scooser

Block the air intake. No air, no combustion.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 16:58   #29
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
Block the air intake. No air, no combustion.
Often difficult to access. And you'd need to have something suitable to hand to use to block the air
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 18:43   #30
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Often difficult to access. And you'd need to have something suitable to hand to use to block the air
What’s difficult about lifting the bonnet?

Take off your t-shirt/shirt/jumper/coat and push it into the air intake duct. Job done.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel blowout, diesel engine blowup, diesel runaway