Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering Facelift mk1 XC60 D4/D5 - Advice Please...?

Views : 3275

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2019, 13:35   #1
Jerry1975

Cool Considering Facelift mk1 XC60 D4/D5 - Advice Please...?

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a facelift Volvo XC60 mk1 (prob 2015/2016) in the not too distant future and I've been swotting up on as much info about them as possible. I had a 2018 mk2 XC60 D5 R-Design as a hire car for a month last year and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately I can't stretch to one of those just yet but think the mk1 facelift still looks fresh. I wonder if you kind peeps could help me with a few queries...?

Is the newer 2.0 D4 twin-turbo diesel engine better than the earlier 2.4 5-pot diesel? The 232bhp version in the mk2 hire car was immense but can anyone compare the two from actual experience in the mk1? (performance, economy, refinement, noise, issues etc.)

Some reviews recommend the FWD 2.0 D4 models over the AWD ones (cheaper running costs I guess?!) but how does the FWD get the power down, how does it drive compared to the AWD version, and is it lousy in the snow?

How does the 6-speed manual compare to the Geartronic in these facelifted cars? Is the manual a decent 'box?

Is the "Four-C" active suspension option common? Is it only available on SE spec cars or can you get it on the R-Design ones too?

How easy are the 2.0 D4 and 2.4 D5 engines to service yourself? (Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Fuel Filter etc.) Anything unusual about them to consider or any vital service intervals?

Are both engines belt driven or are they a chain?

How often do you need to change the gearbox oil on both the 6-speed manual and Geartronic?

Are there any crucial optional extras that I should look for, or are there any I should avoid?

Any other common issues or problems I should look for on a test drive (I've checked the reported issues thread and there seem to be a lot of fairly random things but not a lot that jump out as being really common)?

Hope this is okay guys and look forward to hearing from you

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 13:59   #2
Rex65

If you avoid the D4 engine you'll be fine.
D5 AWD would be my choice.
Must have Sensus and winter pack and I'd opt for geartronic over the manual too.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 14:43   #3
Jerry1975

Question

Thanks for this mate

Is the 2.4 D5 engine a single turbo or a twin-turbo like the 2.0 D4?

What is the Sensus Pack?

Is the Geartronic that you prefer over the manual the new 8-speed one?

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 16:12   #4
Rex65

Hi Jerry, I'm not technical at all, I just drive them
Sensus is the Nav option which you can update twice a year off the Volvo website. It also gives you bluetooth music streaming, USB and a hard disc option to download music onto.
Winter pack gives you nice cosy heated seats and front windscreen for those frosty mornings - beats freezing your hands off scraping the windscreen.
Turbo's and gearboxes will have to be answered by someone technical, sorry.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 06:40   #5
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1975 View Post
Thanks for this mate

Is the 2.4 D5 engine a single turbo or a twin-turbo like the 2.0 D4?

What is the Sensus Pack?

Is the Geartronic that you prefer over the manual the new 8-speed one?

J
2.4 D5 at least on the facelift is twin turbo, I'm on my 2nd.

Geartronics are easier to find & are fantasticly easy to drive, all the D5's are 6 speed on the Mk1.

Polestar will make the car even more driveable than the standard car, sticking it into sport mode really makes it go like stink.

I've only had 2 SE Lux versions which suit my requirement of being able to munch long distances in total comfort (300+ Mile drives)

Andy
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 07:15   #6
deepsix

I loved my 2014 D5 AWD. Mine was manual but I think that auto suits the car better. If you want more umph (it doesn't really need it with the D5) Polestar would be more sense on an autobox. They are fantastic cars. I had no intention of changing the car ......until I saw the V90CC.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:26   #7
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
If you avoid the D4 engine you'll be fine.
D5 AWD would be my choice.
Must have Sensus and winter pack and I'd opt for geartronic over the manual too.
Any particular reason to avoid the D4? I've had my D4 AWD for nearly 3 years and still love it. Admittedly Polestar had made it better but it wasn't bad before!
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:43   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
Any particular reason to avoid the D4? I've had my D4 AWD for nearly 3 years and still love it. Admittedly Polestar had made it better but it wasn't bad before!
Yes, the D4 version orginally referred to is the 4-cylinded VEA... I'm sure they don't all give problems but many do (EGR cooler blockages, EGR valve failures, high oil consumption, rising sump level, oil fumes) plus there is an outstanding recall for an intake manifold deformation/fire risk.

Being an AWD, your D4 is possibly the older 5-cylinder engine?
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 14:23   #9
Bendolfc
Premier Member

D4 AWD is indeed the older 5 pot rather than VEA.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 12:54   #10
MikeIOW
Premier Member

FWIW, whilst I appreciate the FWD D4 *has* given many some issues, we've had ours over 5 years from new for 75k miles with no problems..... & love it!

I tested a AWD geartronic prior to buying ours, & felt it was very 'agricultural' to drive - the gearchange not super smooth.

Despite that, I took a punt on the new one being better (given it was a new 8-speed unit) - & wasn't disappointed!
Works brilliantly with the DSP (driver support pack), which includes adaptive cruise control - just superb on long runs as well as in town traffic.
Seating is so comfortable (heated seats & steering wheel help too!). Clearly that should be the same regardless of model!
I do have some winter wheels (picked up cheap here) with winter tyres, and we've taken ours to the Alps pretty well every year. Only needed to use our Thule easy-fit chains on once, but no dramas.

So, in summary....if you don't regularly head properly off-road, the D4 FWD gets my vote.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post: