Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Resetting the Phone Backup Battery in VIDA

Views : 645

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 13:31   #1
CondorXC90

Default Resetting the Phone Backup Battery in VIDA

I have just acquired a VIDA /Dice setup and managed to establish comms with the car.......and am keen to reset that wretched phone backup battery that seems to be a permanent issue on older XC90s and other Volvos......

How do I achieve this via VIDA? I have watched a video on how to erase fault codes and access various other things, but cannot see where I can reset the battery / tick a box to say it is "replaced" so that the software algotrithm resets itself in sync as I believe that a new battery is rarely needed and it is a longish job involving removing the radio unit which I would much rather avoid if possible and wanted to try resetting first.

(SwissXC90 - please don't helpfully refer me to "read about it in VIDA" as I have seen in your many messages to others on this forum, I am / have been trying to do just that - I would actually like some assistance with how to access the right part of VIDA to achieve this, if indeed it can be done. )

Or does the car have to go to a dealer for this to be reset?
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 13:57   #2
paddy74

Sorry, can't help you in finding the correct switch, I'm not having the car with me right now, and without a connection I couldn't find it in VIDA...

But, to remove the radio unit, you have to loosen two (2) screws. If I know of a simple task in this car, it is to remove the radio. If you want to, let me know, I can assist with that (as I have done this like a million times).
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 09:09   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The battery is likely end of life and whilst it is worth a try - if it does not work the first time there’s no amount of clearing the DTC will get rid of the message. You can disable the entire on call system to get rid of the service required message but it is then replaced with another message saying the system is disabled.

When you got through the process to tell the system the battery has been replaced, it resets the profile to the factory default of a new battery so if an older battery is still fitted, even if it has some life left, it will likely instantly fail the test and error again. I.e. you should only tell it there is a new battery if there really is or it might make things worse...

Sadly the batteries are an obscene price as well... last time I did one which was over a year ago it was over £250 if I recall correctly.

Anyhow to answer your question, easiest way with VIDA is to read the trouble codes, then go through each module that has codes an check each one. It’s saturday morning and I had too many pints last night so I can’t actually recall what the phone module is called..... but it will be obvious when you navigate it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 19th, 2019 at 09:18.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 09:33   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I had too many pints last night so I can’t actually recall what the phone module is called..... but it will be obvious when you navigate it.
Phone Module = PHM
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: