Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B+E Licence

Views : 71790

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2009, 00:43   #1
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Default B+E Licence

I thought this might be helpfull to someone as the question of "What can I tow on my Licence" is often being asked, don't know if someoen can make it a sticky so it don't disappear off the bottom of the section. Hope it is of some use.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdon...naNutshell.pdf

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 14:29   #2
Volvon
Master Member

The above link is no longer active, but there are a few different PDF's explaining the B and B+E licenses here:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practic...icence-to-tow/

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:52   #3
becksterb

Red face

Sorry the links didn't work for me. Can I ask am I legal as a category B driver if my caravan is less than the kerbweight of my car and the combined weight is less than 3.5tonnes?

My cars kerb weight is 1657kg, my caravans fully laden weight is 1200kg. So the combined weight is 2857kg. I am well under the 3.5tonnes and also quite a bit lighter in the caravan to the kerb weight of the car.

It is such a grey area. I know people who have asked the DVLA for answers and haven't got straight answers back. My dad used to work as a traffic policeman and himself and friends have no idea of the laws on towing. Not great since they are the ones policing us. It is the insurance side of it that makes me wonder about these things.

Any answers or opinions welcome.

Thank you for listening and trying to understand
becksterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 21:16   #4
Michael J
Master Member

Default Yes.

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

Quote:
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Last edited by Michael J; Jan 25th, 2012 at 21:19.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 21:21   #5
teefin

CATEGORY B LICENCE FIRST OBTAINED ON OR AFTER 1 JANUARY 1997 MAY DRIVE:
a. Towed Outfits driver restricted to a combined MAM of 3,500kg and the trailer MAM must not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (85% ratio remains strongly recommended). If this MAM is to be exceeded an E Test pass is required. A list of B+E test driving instructors can be found in the Practical Advice section of The Caravan Club Website. The Driving Instructors’ Association also has a list of qualified driving instructors that can tutor those wishing to take the B+E driving test - visit the Driving Standards Website on www.dsa.gov.uk, or telephone 0845 345 5151.

Dont confuse kerb weight with MAM(maximum authorised mass) If your car fully laden is sat 2200kgs you would be limited to a caravan with a maximum weight of 1300kgs = 3500kgs, provided this doesn't exceed the manufacturers maximum towing capacity which with Renaults can be very low compared to the vehicle. The other figure to check is your cars maximum train weight which again some manufacturers set low.

PS it is not always very clear and does take a bit of time, best to record all your weights from car and caravan and make sure no maximum is exceeded as some may be construction and use offences and some licensing offences, get any wrong and have an accident and no insurance will cover you.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:51   #6
becksterb

Thank you for your replies.

My cars mam is 2200kg and the caravans mam is 1200kg so still slightly under 3500kg.
The maximum allowed to tow with that car is 3900kg.

My god after reading all on the internet will be an expert lol.

I will def right down al weights and keep them in the car then at least I always have them with me. I have a volvo v70.

I have had experience of towing horses about but a few years ago and no one knew of this legislation. Very scary really. There must be a massive amount of people driving around that are well over the weight ratios. I will do the test but will need to save up. I am confident I would pass. At least for now I know that even at the cars fully laden weight and the caravans fully laden weight (which I should never get to, especially with the car), I am still under 3500kg.

Thank you again.
becksterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 12:15   #7
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

as long as you remember not to exceed the plated weights you will be okay and the nose weight as well .and you would be surprised that you can reach the weights without thinking about it
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Jan 26th, 2012 at 12:17.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 23:15   #8
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksterb View Post
Thank you for your replies.

Remember if you are going to take the test make sure you get some professional advice. It is a mini Artic test and will take place at an LGV Test Centre (probably Bishopbriggs if Helensburgh is home) and includes reversing the trailer through a specific course and dropping and uplifting the trailer. If Bishopbriggs then the test will take place through Glasgow and will last for a minimum of one hours driving time.There are also certain specifications that the car and trailer have to reach. Be advised.

My cars mam is 2200kg and the caravans mam is 1200kg so still slightly under 3500kg.
The maximum allowed to tow with that car is 3900kg.

My god after reading all on the internet will be an expert lol.

I will def right down al weights and keep them in the car then at least I always have them with me. I have a volvo v70.

I have had experience of towing horses about but a few years ago and no one knew of this legislation. Very scary really. There must be a massive amount of people driving around that are well over the weight ratios. I will do the test but will need to save up. I am confident I would pass. At least for now I know that even at the cars fully laden weight and the caravans fully laden weight (which I should never get to, especially with the car), I am still under 3500kg.

Thank you again.
Remember if you are going to take the test make sure you get some professional advice. It is a mini Artic test and will take place at an LGV Test Centre (probably Bishopbriggs if Helensburgh is home) and includes reversing the trailer through a specific course and dropping and uplifting the trailer. If Bishopbriggs then the test will take place through Glasgow and will last for a minimum of one hours driving time.There are also certain specifications that the car and trailer have to reach. Be advised.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 22:32   #9
Jameshow

Death to the caravan industry me thinks.

My wife who is 3 years younger has had a licence 3 years longer, would be lethal with a twin axle hobby van, whilst I would be illegal!!!

Joined up thinking not!!! Thanks Brussels

sooner we are out of EU the better!!!

James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 23:59   #10
teefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshow View Post
Death to the caravan industry me thinks.

My wife who is 3 years younger has had a licence 3 years longer, would be lethal with a twin axle hobby van, whilst I would be illegal!!!

Joined up thinking not!!! Thanks Brussels

sooner we are out of EU the better!!!

James
Its not down to how long you have held the licence but your competence in towing. Like anything if you do something regularly you can with practiced improvement become competent. Hold a licence for 20 years and never tow, me think you won't be as competent as someone with a licence 2 years who tows weekly.

Age is a number experience is a profession.