Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603319

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2018, 14:16   #1941
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj12 View Post
Took car back a couple of days ago and the guy doing the remap missed some software in the ecu that should have been deleted. Car is now clear of p04d9 code at last. It cost me £200 all in for remap and egr delete but I am very happy with the end result.
And you have now done illegal modifications to your car, making it an instant MOT fail

EGR delete is illegal (well it always was) and is now an instant MOT fail in the UK
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 14:50   #1942
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
And you have now done illegal modifications to your car, making it an instant MOT fail

EGR delete is illegal (well it always was) and is now an instant MOT fail in the UK
yes, but how do they know ?

Iain
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 16:01   #1943
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
hi all,just seen this thread,i haven't read all of them but please excuse me if i ask,
i have had my 2014 xc60 2.4 d4 approx 60.000 miles now,touch wood no problems with it,but reading between the lines will my valve etc mess up on me ?
the car was purchased from a Honda dealer,but was serviced,belts etc,and has the previous owners Volvo history with it.
will Volvo replace the parts before they screw up ? also who pays for it ?
thanks for looking.
EGR Cooler problems only really affect the D4 VEA engines.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 17:36   #1944
tails

Default d4

mike,whats my engine code then ?
thanks.
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 18:15   #1945
MikeGMT
VOC Member

[QUOTE=tails;2480383]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
mike,whats my engine code then ?
thanks.
Not sure what the engine code is, but the 2.4 d4 is the 'old' 5 cylinder engine. A really good engine by the way. The VEA designation merely refers to the new generation of 4 cylinder engines, (Volvo Engine Architechture). These have started to throw up check engine warnings requiring EGR, hoses and cooler mods.

Not saying you will never have EGR problems but they are not as common as on the newer engines, and will not require the same fix.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 18:29   #1946
tails

Default engine

thanks for that mike.
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tails For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 21:50   #1947
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Just to give a bit of balance to the thread. Have clocked 90k on a XC60 2014 VEA 181hp auto and apart from the free Volvo EGR fix at about 30k I have not had a single issue. Compared to my BMW 2.5 Series 5 which was a catalogue of disasters, I have nothing but praise for this Volvo. And as for comfort it's no gimmick that a Swedish Cinema is furnished with Volvo seats!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 00:00   #1948
Chrisv60

Unfortunately my experience is the opposite.

My last car was a BMW 320d for 5 years which only went in to BMW for 2 services in that time.

In contrast, my Volvo in 4 years has had 4 services, 4 EGR fixes, a replacement engine, headlights which drop to 2 feet of illumination when braking or decelerating and today the stop, low coolant message has appeared. And it's still only done 30k miles, being only used for long runs as I'm too worried to use it for short journeys.

I've had everything from Hillman Avengers, Vauxhall's, Renaults and Peugeot's and never had one like it.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 19:56   #1949
wj12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Good news! But you shouldn't have had to take this action.

The increased NOx emissions are a bad thing, however I'm wondering how many other VEA owners might have to take a similar action over the next few years?

Did the remap give a lot more power? It would be useful if you could post a link please?
I had a remap which gave a mixture of performance and economy. The car picks up much more smoothly now and pulls better but it’s still very nice to drive. I could have had the vehicle tested on a rolling road with a full printout of the power increase but that was an extra £80 and my main aim was to permanently sort out the egr cooler problem. I am a low mileage driver so perhaps buying a diesel wasn’t a good move but I haven’t had any problems with previous diesels I have owned.
wj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wj12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 20:08   #1950
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj12 View Post
I had a remap which gave a mixture of performance and economy. The car picks up much more smoothly now and pulls better but it’s still very nice to drive. I could have had the vehicle tested on a rolling road with a full printout of the power increase but that was an extra £80 and my main aim was to permanently sort out the egr cooler problem. I am a low mileage driver so perhaps buying a diesel wasn’t a good move but I haven’t had any problems with previous diesels I have owned.
So who did it for you?