Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine management light & MoT

Views : 3530

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 17:16   #11
VolvoFan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTV70 View Post
Have you had the codes read.?

Neil
Yes, in November 2010 - yes, 2010! The report stated that the fuel system was lean; but the self-learn program was unable to complete. The prognosis was that "an air-flow meter (throttle body) was required." I wouldn't think the mixture strength is too far out as the plugs look okay and running seems to be quite normal.

Is it possible that the engine management system is over-sensitive?

Well, I've driven the car several thousand miles since then, with no noticeable ill effects in performance or economy.

I was advised to run the car as usual and wait until symptoms show before going to the expense of a new AFM.

The only reason I'm concerned about the engine warning light is the MoT! I suppose testers would be wise to the fact if I removed the warning lamp bulb?!
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 17:18   #12
VolvoFan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy66 View Post
Good question. 99% of the time I find it's a sensor fialure rather than an actual component failure, so you won't necessarily notice any difference in the way a car drives just because the engine light is on
Thanks, but the fault reader didn't specify a faulty sensor.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 17:38   #13
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

I'd still be getting the codes read...again.!....and getting any actual code numbers.!
At least if you've got those then you have a good chance of finding out what's amiss.
Taking the bulb out is addressing the symptom...not the cause....and the light will be conspicuous by it's absence surely.?

What model are we talkin' about here.?...

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.

Last edited by RUTV70; Jan 9th, 2012 at 17:41.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RUTV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:24   #14
banksy66
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoFan View Post
Thanks, but the fault reader didn't specify a faulty sensor.
A fault code reader only reads a fault code, it won't actually tell you what's wrong or what is causing it

As an example, I had a code read yesterday on a Polo. Fault code related to 2issues with the 02 sensor before the catalytic converter, creating the impression that the sensor had fialed. The fault was actually a broken wire to the sensor, but at least the reader sent us in the right direction

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
banksy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to banksy66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:34   #15
tt82
Forum Support Team

Have the garage clear the light before they do the MOT. It might stay off long enough for it pass.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:36   #16
VolvoFan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Have the garage clear the light before they do the MOT. It might stay off long enough for it pass.
Thanks. I already considered doing this!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:49   #17
VolvoFan
Master Member

I did get the code numbers, which is why the technician pointed towards replacing the AFM/throttle body.

Incidentally, the model I'm referring to is a Nissan Micra 1.4 SE (2001) K11 (old shape).
I wouldn't know whether fault code numbers are the same on Volvos - or any other vehicles, for that matter. Just for the record the code is PO171.

An ex-work colleague once told me of when she had an engine management warning light come on a Saab, and drove around for ages with no ill effects. She even made a couple of return trips to Germany and the light was still on.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 14:11   #18
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

We had a problem with our Nissan Almera when the engine light would come on at random then go off again with no appreciable effect on performance. Checking the codes gave an indication that it was running lean, looking at the exhaust pipe showed loads of soot eg running rich. The actual problem was the lamda sensor before the cat was knackered and giving a false lean reading but not a code for a sensor fault. SEnsor replaced solved the problem.

The fact that you can still drive the car (locally or to Germany) doesn't prove it's running well, and the codes don't always tell the whole story.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 20:27   #19
VolvoFan
Master Member

I disconnected the battery last night, and when I re-connected it this morning, the engine management light went out as soon as the engine started. How can this be accounted for? If it lights up again I will let you know.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 23:02   #20
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Disconnecting the battery is a trick of the roadside guys just to get that car out of their area so they dont have to tow it, the ECU will temporarly (sp?) forget the fault for a while.
It will come back on at some point depending on what is causing it.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote