Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1072701

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 03:33   #12
canis
Non Fragile

Engine started today! It revealed another fuel leak, so I only ran it for ten minutes or so and pretended not to notice. By the time I switched off, it had reached normal temperature and it's hydraulic lifters had replenished and had ceased rattling after their long rest.

Problem. The P1 lambda sensor plugs into one of several sockets mounted above the engine attached to the front bulkhead, just below the scuttle. The one in the P1. 5 exhaust I've fitted has a shorter cable, normally taking a route into the cabin through a rubber grommet in the floor. And it's plug is different. Removing it has so far been impossible, and it's probably in better condition than the older one, so I will have to do some splicing.

Front panel is painted. At least, the front edge of it is. At some point in the future I'd like to paint the rear surfaces, but it'll have to wait for now. Just a slathering of underseal and the bumper can go back on.

I have decided to fix the hole in the front wing by filling the cavity with squirty expanding foam. I could plate it. But that'd still need finishing with filler anyway, and a new wing will need painting anyway, so this will be the economic option both in terms of finance and effort. I think the foam will also prevent the wheel spray too. Through the hole it is easy to see why they all rust there, there is a gap the size of a fist between the hull and the plastic shield. Wheel spray is thus not prevented at all, and the wing and bodywork (and especially the little bracket attaching the two) receive the full brunt of the weather! From inside the wheel arch this gap is far less obvious, but it would be worth plugging it, and I think squirty foam will achieve this admirably, as well as compensating the loss of the little bracket which has rusted completely through and is serving no purpose. The foam will surround it remaining stubs, thus reattaching the wing.

The rear wheel arch is filled, rubbed down and in primer, finished that late last night. I want to spray the underside with black shutz right round to the sills. After that the sill covers can go back on. Plasti-kote is great on the plastics, ultimately I will revitalise them all. The black looks far better than the grey, and immensely better than the dull faded grey they are right now. I've already done this to the rear bumper, and the black matches the deep metallic green paintwork splendidly.

Sigh. Still lots to do, but significant progress has been made.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage