Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Odd Brake Problem

Views : 948

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:37   #1
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Default Odd Brake Problem

Here's the story, any ideas welcome....

Rallying the 144 yesterday, brake pedal goes soft, warning light on, then pedal hits the floor. Assumed I'd split a pipe but no fluid leak to be seen. Front wheels 'smoking' as we stopped, we'd been working hard.

30 minutes later, I had brakes although mushy and a modest drop in the fluid level and I mean modest. Take out the sensor, pump the brakes, replace sensor and all is well on the warning light front.

The car is running Mintex rally pads and silicone DoT 5 fluid so heat shouldn't be a problem. All flexis are braided and intact. No signs of problems inside the calipers, I've pulled the pads out to check.

My initial thoughts are either the master cylinder seals gave way or I had a pocket of air in the system but to be honest, I'm a bit lost. Today it feels as if the system needs bleeding but I've done two events with no problem since system last evacuated.

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated!!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:41   #2
john h
VOC Member

Despite the DoT5, it does sound to me like boiled brake fluid.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:34   #3
malb

One or both front wheels smoking?

My 78 245 did a similar thing at about 50000Km, but with a nice vapour cloud from the front right during braking and warning light.

Girling front caliper has a pair of O rings to seal the passages where the two halves of the caliper mate, and one had been pinched on assembly, and subsequently blew out at max braking on a HOT caliper.

No obvious sign of a leak when investigated five minutes later, but I had seen the vapour cloud and knew where to look.

I know that some 140's in Oz had the same calipers in them, so I wonder if the problem you had might be similar. Would be damn unlucky to have it on both fronts at the same time though, hence the opening question.

malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:29   #4
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Just the left hand front doing the smoking.

So when it cools, seal remade? This would have been the hottest I've ever got the brakes since the calipers were renewed about four years ago. Pads were also low so I guess plenty of heat transfer to help thing along.

Worth a look, thanks very much.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 18:41   #5
Fivehundred

You're rallying a car with silicone brake fluid? That's nuts. Silicone brake fluid is fine for museum cars, it was originally designed for military vehicles kept in long term storage.

It simply isn't a performance fluid. It sure sounds like boiling fluid, good quality fluid changed regularly is the answer.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 21:36   #6
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Interesting view bearing in mind it's boiling point. Got into silicone after repeated problems with so-say performance fluid in other cars. Been using it now for five years and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.

Whatever we use, there's always something something better!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 23:46   #7
Fivehundred

Sure it has a high boiling point, but it more compressable than standard fluid so the pedal is longer.

Secondly if there is inadvertently any water contamination, then it will sink to the lowest point of the braking system, because water and silicone brake fluid are immiscible. With conventional brake fluid the performance degrades, but it is a slow process.

I reckon its a bad choice for any kind of motor sport.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:31   #8
Snowman
never knowingly slow

So having thought some more about this, I'm going to flush the system and go back to a 'normal' fluid. All the seals were new when I put the silicone in, do you think I need to change them again for the new stuff?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 20:26   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

It sounds as if you managed to get one of those packets of water down near the hot pistons. It then boiled and you lost pressure. If you've been happy with silicone just give it a complete and proper pressure bleed and get back rallying. Castrol LMA a good normal alternative. Changing every 1000 miles when you're competing isn't a bad idea.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote