Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice?

Views : 13482

Replies : 248

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 17:42   #41
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Not to take anything away from what Bob and 'L.S ' said about the 2.0, to me the additional capacity of the 2.3 is less about the power increase and more about power delivery.

The larger engine has a much flatter torque curve, which I feel makes for a more pleasant drive, especially in automatic form. My advice, if opportunity allows, would be to drive both before making a final decision.

As you are finding, you are more likely to encounter a 2.0 than a 2.3 litre car. If you are fortunate enough to locate a 2.3, then, condition for condition, it is likely to carry a hefty premium - only you can decide if the additional expense is worth it.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:53   #42
Chris152

Definitely seeing more 2.0s for sale in our search. One 2.3 with very low mileage and all the other things we want but in a difficult place to access!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As long as you replace more or less like for like e.g. B200E for B230E you shouldn't have any problems.
Would the best plan be to buy one from a car that's breaking and rebuild it? I did a search for ready-rebuilt but couldn't find any.

I can't pm anyone, but if anyone offering thoughts would be prepared to receive links to the two cars we're looking at and details of one I've been sent via Facebook, would it work to pm me so I can reply? Maybe that's not possible.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:19   #43
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Chris, if the problem with PMs is your post count, you can get this increased on request to enable you to use the facility. Go to 'Forum User's Support' towards the bottom of the first page and you will find a thread allowing you to do this.

Happy to take a virtual look at the cars that you are interested in, but there are those on here infinitely more knowledgeable than I who may be better able to advise you on these fine cars.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:30   #44
Chris152

Thank you, John - I've spent a fair amount of time reading threads, including the one about 240s on TV(!), but had missed that option.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:23   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Definitely seeing more 2.0s for sale in our search. One 2.3 with very low mileage and all the other things we want but in a difficult place to access!

Would the best plan be to buy one from a car that's breaking and rebuild it? I did a search for ready-rebuilt but couldn't find any.

I can't pm anyone, but if anyone offering thoughts would be prepared to receive links to the two cars we're looking at and details of one I've been sent via Facebook, would it work to pm me so I can reply? Maybe that's not possible.
I wouldn't discount a car because of location Chris, not unless it's going to present serious difficulty getting it home but even if it is overseas (but still within the UK) it's possible and not always as scarily costly as you may think.

For example, i sold my Rover 827 Coupe a few years ago to a guy in Northern Ireland. He had it picked up by a car transporter driver who was on a routine run to pick up and/or deliver cars here. Apparently cost him about £300 to get it uplifted back to NI and i seriously doubt he could have made his way here via public transport and as a foot passenger on the ferry then driven back, over on the ferry etc for the same money.

If you really are considering an upgrade to a 2.3, my best suggestion would be buy a spares car that has the 2.3 engine and gearbox you want. Then not only do you have all the bits you want/need to convert to the spec you want but many other useful spares.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800

There's a link to bump your post count for PMs

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:39   #46
Chris152

Thanks LS - what I'm struggling with is the prospect of getting there (it'd involve a flight or a train and boat trip, not so remote from the distance you describe) to see the car, with the horrible prospect that it might not be what we want and then the same journey back.
The idea of swapping the engine is just a fall-back, in case later he wants/ needs to if it packs in. On which point, I've just seen a 240 2.8 V6 manual for sale in need of lots and lots of work (not for us!).
I did the request to boost posts, waiting to see what admin thinks. :-)
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 23:29   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks LS - what I'm struggling with is the prospect of getting there (it'd involve a flight or a train and boat trip, not so remote from the distance you describe) to see the car, with the horrible prospect that it might not be what we want and then the same journey back.
The idea of swapping the engine is just a fall-back, in case later he wants/ needs to if it packs in. On which point, I've just seen a 240 2.8 V6 manual for sale in need of lots and lots of work (not for us!).
I did the request to boost posts, waiting to see what admin thinks. :-)
That's where loads of photos come in useful - where is the car?

A 240 with a 2.8V6 and manual box? That didn't come from the factory! There was a 264/5 but they were 2.7V6 and very few manual. It sounds as if they've either got the later B280E 2.8V6 and retrofitted it with a manual box or perhaps used a Ford 2.8 V6 which i believe was a common swap at one point as well as the Rover V8 into 240s.
These days the usual engine of choice for a non-Volvo engine swap is the Toyota/Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 from the Lexus LS400. One of the beauties of that swap is it often comes mated with the Toyota A341E automatic gearbox better known to us as the AW70 auto box.
Makes it a relatively easy swap as non-Volvo swaps go. It's also economical to run as it's so under-stressed both as an engine and in the Volvo.

On the back of that, the simple words of advice are get as clean and straight a car as you can, unmodified unless they're either very simple to understand mods and the owner explains them and why/how. Don't go for anything that has performance mods, your lad will find it difficult to ensure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:20   #48
Chris152

Quote:
That's where loads of photos come in useful - where is the car?

A 240 with a 2.8V6 and manual box?
The car's in the Isle of Man, so tricky to view!

And the 2.8 V6 is advertised on Facebook Marketplace (I searched Volvo 240 and had to scroll down a long way), the seller says only 5 were made and it's the only manual that was made? Obviously, I've no idea but if that's real could be of interest to some on here.
edit - actually, I just noticed it's listed as a 940. Perhaps the seller's not clear about it.

Last edited by Chris152; Jan 25th, 2020 at 08:37.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 10:01   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The car's in the Isle of Man, so tricky to view!

And the 2.8 V6 is advertised on Facebook Marketplace (I searched Volvo 240 and had to scroll down a long way), the seller says only 5 were made and it's the only manual that was made? Obviously, I've no idea but if that's real could be of interest to some on here.
edit - actually, I just noticed it's listed as a 940. Perhaps the seller's not clear about it.
I don't do anti-social media so can't comment on the advert but i did see one on fleabay recently, can't remember the location and it was in fact an early 960 with the B280E and manual box from the factory. Most were auto and it was rare compared to the number of B6304 powered 960s and i also suspect it's had a replacement tailgate.

The other thing is, avoid cars from coastal areas if possible, they all suffer the "sea breeze" effect and rot tends to set in sooner rather than later.

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 11:09   #50
Chris152

Quote:
I'd say avoid one with a cat (unless it's unavoidable, i.e. J reg or newer) as it saps power, economy and can be costly if the cat is either stolen or expires.
This is another thing we're coming up against - I've realised both 2.0s have catalytic converters (G, 1990 and J, 1991). I see the cat led to about 10% reduction in power, so if it has to be a 2L, it really has to be no cat?
I do hope people don't mind my endless questions, it's way more complex than I'd assumed!