Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breaking 1989 760 GLE Turbodiesel

Views : 4098

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 16:26   #1
tofufi
Premier Member

Default Breaking 1989 760 GLE Turbodiesel

Hi folks,

I bought this 1989/1990 760 GLE Turbodiesel saloon hoping it'd run again, but on inspection the flex plate has lost several teeth meaning it won't start.

It needs a few other bits doing so probably isn't worthwhile as the front wings and driver's front door are bubbly too. Everything else isn't too bad generally, but the paint isn't great.

Things I will be keeping (i.e. not for sale) unless someone makes me a good offer:
Engine, (maybe) gearbox, other diesel-specific bits.
Air-con bits if they'll fit my 740.
Power seat mechanism.
Bits to convert mine to electric sunroof.

I'll still hopefully have a full set of non-power but heated leather seats to sell, but the driver's backrest cover has a bit of wear/damage.

Other bits, all of which are available, include:

Dashboard, clocks and switchgear
Working electric window mechanisms (all 4 windows are powered), switches etc
CR702 tape radio, original (no code but these are available from dealers)
Rear axle/diff/
Headlights, front nearside indicator, rear offside rear lamp
Locks and other door parts.
Driver's side power/heated/colour coded mirror (passenger one available but smashed glass)
4 x doorcards
Wheels
Brakes
Suspension bits

All other bits are there, ask and I'll provide pics/details as required

Complete car will be available whole for about a week if someone wants to save it as-is. 2 owners from new and less than 200k miles on the clock.

Last edited by tofufi; Dec 31st, 2017 at 16:37.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 20:30   #2
tofufi
Premier Member

I don't seem to be able to edit my post above any more - but the car also has a towbar which is available.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 22:05   #3
Tyron760
No redblock? No comment!

I may well be interested in several parts including chrome trim parts in fair/decent condition, passenger mirror if body is good and also rear suspension if IRS? Is bootlid dent/rust free with decent paint? Maybe also fuel filler pipework etc. Bound to be other bits & bobs I can't think of at the moment, all for my own 760 turbo saloon.

Will give it more thought and perhaps send you pm later. Are you willing to remove parts prior to visit as I'm a fair trek away? How soon do you need to clear it out of your way?

In meantime wish you a happy New Year, cheers!

Tyron
940 lpt classic auto estate tropic green 1997
Tyron760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 12:29   #4
tofufi
Premier Member

Hi Tyron,

I've taken a quick look this morning:

All chrome is good except for one of the window surround bits on the driver's door (which has a ding) and the driver's door rubbing strip chrome (which has fallen off and is in the car). This includes the roof strips, window surround strips, lower window scrapers and the bits on the bumpers.

Passenger mirror body is good, but the paint on it is tired and has scuffs - needs repainting.

Rear suspension is IRS and appears to all be there, the bits I could see have some surface rust as you might expect from a car of this age!

Bootlid is dent and rust free, but the paint (particularly on the rear face) has crazing where the lacquer appears to have failed. Really it would benefit from being painted, I'd imagine a bodyshop wouldn't charge much to respray a dent-free panel like that.

Fuel filler neck will be available - I assume diesel and petrol models share this part?

My plan is to keep the car looking mostly whole (to not upset neighbours) and then strip it over a weekend, keeping any good bits to sell. Happy to keep bits for a while, but I'm a little short on covered storage for bits that need to stay dry so shifting those, particularly bigger bits (interior etc) will be priority .

I occasionally head your way with work so could potentially arrange something for delivery.

Happy New Year to you, too

Last edited by tofufi; Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:35.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 12:38   #5
tofufi
Premier Member

I forgot to mention, if anyone is looking to repair crash or rust damage I'm happy to cut the bodyshell. Rear quarters on this one are good and with straight bodywork.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 13:01   #6
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Things I will be keeping (i.e. not for sale) unless someone makes me a good offer:
Power seat mechanism.

I'll still hopefully have a full set of non-power but heated leather seats to sell, but the driver's backrest cover has a bit of wear/damage.
Changed my mind on this one - so the electric driver's seat mechanism is also available. Front/rear motor certainly works, but there seems to be a problem which prevents other functions from working. I'm only not fitting it to my 740 as I thought the electric seats had more adjustment, which looking today they don't seem to
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:19   #7
Foggys940

Pm me a price for the wheels please
Foggys940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 13:28   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm interested in those wheels please. Omegas? But I'm only in line, if Foggys940 doesn't have them.

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 13:37   #9
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Wing liners? Undertray and fixings?

I'd be interested in the plastic wing liners from the front, and the undertray and all fixings for it including the air intake scoops - and you can never have too many headlamps and wing mirrors if they are not otherwise taken. But you are a long way away (I am in ME3).
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 22:23   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

I've been trying (and failing) to get a chance to get a better idea of the condition of the wheels - need a bit more daylight, should hopefully get a chance on the weekend. Any thoughts on their value? I was thinking £60-£120 depending on condition, for all 5 - but open to guidance. That'd include 4 (I think the spare doesn't have one) centrecaps.

Rogerthechorister, from memory the undertray at the front of the engine is missing - was this what you were hoping for?

Front wing liners should be available. Headlamps and RHS (driver's) mirror are not spoken for as yet. I have some work scheduled in Whitstable in the coming months too, so could get them much closer to you too.

I'll probably not be dismantling it for another couple of weeks, let me know if there's any greater urgency! As soon as I start dismantling it, I'll get in touch with everyone. Probably in the next few weeks

J