Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low fuel in the T8

Views : 2872

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:56   #11
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post

I must admit still not happy that there is even an AUX fuel Heater on the T8's for UK models, it seems counter productive, especially for pre heat when connected to the power supply, filling the garage up with fumes
I agree with this - seems quite a backward step to burn fuel when it would make sense to draw or divert a little extra electricity to pre-heating the cabin/engine block. The system is apparently in place on the continent.

I assume there are two preheat systems though, to cover all eventualities (whether plugged in or not).
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 11:55   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I crept along the M180 the other month with range down eventually to 10 miles. I tucked in behind a truck and eeked it out to Tesco in Scunthorpe. At the pumps I managed to put 51 litres in my 50 litre tank...... Must have been close!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:07   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

New model T8 now have a bigger fuel tank, I cant understand why they fitted such a small tank in the first place.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:07   #14
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
Could be, although I'd have thought the dedicated Aux heater would use a lot less fuel on that single task than the ICE which is also pulling the car along. It would make sense to me to leave the driving to the electric engine where possible

Agree 100% - only don’t think, for some reason, the Volvo engineers have set it up this way.

Could just simply be conflicts in the control system logic, whereby presence of a low fuel flag just overrules a number of other systems including aux heater operation, regardless of the status of lower priority signals like battery is full. Perversely this would probably help you run out of fuel sooner than you otherwise would!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:16   #15
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
I agree with this - seems quite a backward step to burn fuel when it would make sense to draw or divert a little extra electricity to pre-heating the cabin/engine block. The system is apparently in place on the continent.

I assume there are two preheat systems though, to cover all eventualities (whether plugged in or not).

I think it’s either electric preheat or fuel. In moon on a stick territory I’d like both...electric for plugged in preheating and fuel for remote operation ‘off grid’ so as not to burn all the hybrid battery power just getting warmed up.

Of course the really clever way to have implemented ‘both’ as above would be to configure the air conditioning system to operate when required as an air source heat pump (ie in ‘reverse’).

Trouble is you’d need to plan to have a warm car several hours before you need it, as you won’t get the instant heat an element or fuel heater provides. And as the VOC app timer for preheats no longer works that’s a non starter too!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 12:22   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
And as the VOC app timer for preheats no longer works that’s a non starter too!
Is that so? I was wondering as I couldnt delete some timers in the app the other day and they wouldnt update with the car, but I thought it was just me.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 13:26   #17
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
New model T8 now have a bigger fuel tank, I cant understand why they fitted such a small tank in the first place.
How much bigger is it?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 13:50   #18
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
I think it’s either electric preheat or fuel. In moon on a stick territory I’d like both...electric for plugged in preheating and fuel for remote operation ‘off grid’ so as not to burn all the hybrid battery power just getting warmed up.

Of course the really clever way to have implemented ‘both’ as above would be to configure the air conditioning system to operate when required as an air source heat pump (ie in ‘reverse’).

Trouble is you’d need to plan to have a warm car several hours before you need it, as you won’t get the instant heat an element or fuel heater provides. And as the VOC app timer for preheats no longer works that’s a non starter too!
I do not find this a problem, if I start remote climate from VOC with in 2 minutes / 3 Minutes the inside of my car is pretty warm, intact I find it dam impressive to get it so warm in such a short time.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:35   #19
Milliner

I think Director 76 means an electric preheating option, specifically using the air-con to generate heat, would be slow to get up to temp.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:59   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
How much bigger is it?
I think it is now 70 ltrs
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote