Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£2,600 for replacement IHU - new XC60

Views : 4529

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2018, 14:56   #1
Rippers

Angry £2,600 for replacement IHU - new XC60

Using my iPad as a subsiduary navigation device the other night, I had it on charge and resting on the centre console. Emergency breaking for a deer emerging from the adjacent golf course across the road the iPad smashed into the centre console screen (IHU - Infotainment Head Unit) and Volvo in Slough have quoted me £2,600 to replace it. Wow. The unit alone is £1,910 plus VAT.

This is roughly 6.5% of the purchase price of the car.

Has anyone else had to replace one of these? Is this possibly the highest cost on the planet for a small touch screen?

It's a shame that Volvo so hugely overprice an item that is obviously liable to have issues due to it's location and maybe would benefit from better screen resilience. On another note the whole car system has a habit of re-booting itself and occassionally the SATNAV places the car just outside Gothenburg, which isn't in Berkshire as far as I know.

Any ideas greatly appreciated?

Great car otherwise - can't fault it apart from the SATNAV which is clumsy. Why do car manufacturers use such poor systems - Google maps is great on an iPhone / iPad.
Rippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 15:24   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

That's pretty steep- but I'm not surprised.. It pretty much equals to replacing your multimedia, navi and HVAC- so as if you trashed your center console completely..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 15:49   #3
Milliner

If the screen is bespoke to Volvo's sensus system, it is always likely to cost more than a similar screen in something like an iPad which will sell in the millions. Economies of scale and all that. It's why VW Audi have common parts throughout the group - even the Lamborghinis.

That being said I agree £1910+VAT is pretty steep for a basic low(ish)-res screen these days. Maybe there's something else being replaced as part of the process.

Thanks for letting us know though - I've often wondered 'what if' given that I've two young kids who like to get in the front and jab away at the screen at the first opportunity.

Native Google maps/navigation would be welcome and appears to be part of Volvo's plans for future infotainment systems.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 16:35   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippers View Post
Using my iPad as a subsiduary navigation device the other night, I had it on charge and resting on the centre console. Emergency breaking for a deer emerging from the adjacent golf course across the road the iPad smashed into the centre console screen (IHU - Infotainment Head Unit) and Volvo in Slough have quoted me £2,600 to replace it. Wow. The unit alone is £1,910 plus VAT.

This is roughly 6.5% of the purchase price of the car.

Has anyone else had to replace one of these? Is this possibly the highest cost on the planet for a small touch screen?

It's a shame that Volvo so hugely overprice an item that is obviously liable to have issues due to it's location and maybe would benefit from better screen resilience. On another note the whole car system has a habit of re-booting itself and occassionally the SATNAV places the car just outside Gothenburg, which isn't in Berkshire as far as I know.

Any ideas greatly appreciated?

Great car otherwise - can't fault it apart from the SATNAV which is clumsy. Why do car manufacturers use such poor systems - Google maps is great on an iPhone / iPad.
Here you go, save yourself a few quid!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S90...19e:rk:25:pf:0
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 16:49   #5
Rippers

Default Watch out for the kids

The very helpful chap in the Slough Volvo service department told me he had a child damage one of these units with a pen

He also told me that the IHU is just a head unit screen fed by data from a central computer so it's nothing more than a touch screen

The magic of my new Volvo has suddenly disappeared - guess I'll be using the Toyota more
Rippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 17:12   #6
Deman77
Master Member

The margins of new cars are tiny. In spare parts and servicing they are huge.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 18:01   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Just a head unit screen, but one with an uncommon touch technology.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 18:28   #8
Deman77
Master Member

If you look at iPad/iPhone component costs (easily available on the internet from sites breaking them down for fun) you see smth like touch screen with much more advanced technology costing low 100s of dollars. Volvo has enough volume with production and this being fairly old tech to probably buy it at sub 100 in bulk orders. They purely gouge us on repairs. But these side revenues are what allows them the car maker to keep the cost of cars a couple of percentage points lower than otherwise.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 20:09   #9
RobQuads

Thats not too bad. My brothers father in law was quoted 6K to replace a head unit that was stolen from his CR-V (although they had cut some of the cables) but still.

Modern cars all make the majority of their profit after sales i.e. servicing, parts etc
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 22:32   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippers View Post
The very helpful chap in the Slough Volvo service department told me he had a child damage one of these units with a pen

He also told me that the IHU is just a head unit screen fed by data from a central computer so it's nothing more than a touch screen

The magic of my new Volvo has suddenly disappeared - guess I'll be using the Toyota more
The IHU is more that a screen it is the main control unit for the audio/visual systems , interfaced to the rest of the car too of course …

Yes in a big accident loose items in the car fly around like projectiles from a gun and can do you and the car serious damage .
Have you noticed in the crash tests that the mirror covers can fly off and wiper arms fly out despite very strong springs , everything must weigh at least 10 times it's weight .

Tags
overpriced parts