Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck in the mud!!

Views : 1773

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2015, 16:37   #1
paultyler1

Default Stuck in the mud!!

Got the XC90 stuck in the mud, last night, whilst trying to pull a friends "B" class Mercedes out of an orchard. Eventually, using my sno-socks I got out. Oh how I wish the XC90 had a diff lock but then again I bought a soft roader not an off roader. Anyway, the point of my posting is that after merrily spinning all 4 wheels trying to make progress I noticed that the brake pedal had virtually no travel on it all. A couple of seconds later all was back to normal. This used to happen on both my previous XC70's and I'm not particularly worried because it seems to be a normal occurence - I'm just wondering why it does it. Would a more technical minded member of the forum like to suggest a reason?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 16:41   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
Got the XC90 stuck in the mud, last night, whilst trying to pull a friends "B" class Mercedes out of an orchard. Eventually, using my sno-socks I got out. Oh how I wish the XC90 had a diff lock but then again I bought a soft roader not an off roader. Anyway, the point of my posting is that after merrily spinning all 4 wheels trying to make progress I noticed that the brake pedal had virtually no travel on it all. A couple of seconds later all was back to normal. This used to happen on both my previous XC70's and I'm not particularly worried because it seems to be a normal occurence - I'm just wondering why it does it. Would a more technical minded member of the forum like to suggest a reason?
It think it's normal - it's because the traction control is applying the brakes for you to selected wheels to essentially re-create the function of a diff lock. You will probably also feel a vibration through it as it is doing it. You would probably benefit more from some Mud/All Terrain tyres rather than diff lock.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 18:42   #3
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Turn DTSC off next time ...
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:00   #4
paultyler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Turn DTSC off next time ...
Can't do that on mine!
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:03   #5
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
Can't do that on mine!
Why not ?
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:37   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

You can on ever XC90, is just not as simple as pressing DSTC button on newer models though,

Agree though DSTC off when driving on muddy surfaces
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:48   #7
Danielpsmith
Master Member

You can turn it off using the menu on the indicator stalk you scroll to dtsc then hold the reset for a few seconds and it comes up dtsc disabled or something like that but it turns back on soon as the key is turned off and on again found this out by accident then reading the manual
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:51   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Does anyone know exactly how DSTC works? I know if you get wheel spin it will do a combination of applying the brakes and throttle back the engine.

Is it separate from the AWD system - i.e. if you turn DSTC off and you get wheel spin - will it still shift power to the rear axle?

Also if you have DSTC off - will it still apply the brakes to stop one wheel spinning or could you (in theory) cross axle it?

Having had a Land Rover, a Freelander and now an XC90 you realise there is a specific driving technique to getting the best out of them and it can be different between vehicles.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 21:54   #9
paultyler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
You can turn it off using the menu on the indicator stalk you scroll to dtsc then hold the reset for a few seconds and it comes up dtsc disabled or something like that but it turns back on soon as the key is turned off and on again found this out by accident then reading the manual
OK, hands up, I'd forgotten this bit! I've never had cause to do this on the XC90 but used to do it on the 70's (which had the switch on the dashboard).
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 22:05   #10
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Does anyone know exactly how DSTC works? I know if you get wheel spin it will do a combination of applying the brakes and throttle back the engine.

Is it separate from the AWD system - i.e. if you turn DSTC off and you get wheel spin - will it still shift power to the rear axle?

Also if you have DSTC off - will it still apply the brakes to stop one wheel spinning or could you (in theory) cross axle it?

Having had a Land Rover, a Freelander and now an XC90 you realise there is a specific driving technique to getting the best out of them and it can be different between vehicles.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post: