Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don’t buy a XC40 P8

Views : 2410

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 13:03   #1
Stewart1359

Default Don’t buy a XC40 P8

A year ago I purchased my XC40 P8 first edition full electric twin motor AWD car. It has been a year of problems. I really like the car and it is great to drive. My problem is with the infotainment system and various other sound problems. I have an Apple IPhone 13 pro max which I use for phone calls and playing my music. I never know what is going to happen when using the car. Sometimes I have to reconnect my phone for either calls or Bluetooth, sometimes the music starts plying when I open the door, sometimes when I sit in the seat, sometimes I have to press play in the centre screen, sometimes it will not play any music by Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay or the radio. When the car does this it will not start playing music until the next time I drive the car. It has played music for some of my journey then just stopped and won’t start again until the next time I drive the car. When this happens the music is playing but no sound comes out.When making phone calls it sometimes cuts out the sound. The person I am talking to can hear me but I cannot hear them and it will not clear until the next time I drive the car. There have been times that my indicator is flashing but there is no sound in the car from the indicator. While using the satnav the sound sometimes comes out of the front right speaker then maybe the rear speaker.
This problem has been reported to Volvo, the dealer that I purchased the car from and my local dealer. The car has been in my local dealer six or seven times for they to try and solve the problem but it always returns.
During the time I was getting told by Volvo customer services that it a minor problem and only in my car, the dealer I purchased the car from were saying the same. I have contacted Volvo financial services as I am not happy. They have looked it and they are now saying that this problem is the same in every XC40 P8 and some other models of the Volvo range.
The dealer and Volvo now just think that I should just accept this as they are trying to solve the problem.
The moral of this story is do not pay £60,000 for a Volvo XC40 P8 from Paul Rigby Volvo Stourbridge or from Volvo because they all have this problem
Stewart1359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 19:20   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

As you didn’t specify th MY of the car - is this a Sensus or Android Automotive system?

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 22:50   #3
Stewart1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
As you didn’t specify th MY of the car - is this a Sensus or Android Automotive system?
It is the android. The car is a first edition 20 plate
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:11   #4
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1359 View Post
It is the android. The car is a first edition 20 plate
If it’s a 20 plate, isn’t it a Sensus based system?
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:28   #5
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

XC40 BEV is Android.

Most of the issues described above, in relation to the sound are solved with a center screen reset, press and hold the button under the center screen for about 30 seconds (Has the same effect as turning on and off phone), will fix the issue and happy days all will be back to the way it should be.

https://www.volvocars.com/ie/support...isplay-restart

Most of the above is common to the Android cars covered on here in great detail.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to giftgrub100 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 22:19   #6
Ilovelifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftgrub100 View Post
XC40 BEV is Android.

Most of the issues described above, in relation to the sound are solved with a center screen reset, press and hold the button under the center screen for about 30 seconds (Has the same effect as turning on and off phone), will fix the issue and happy days all will be back to the way it should be.

https://www.volvocars.com/ie/support...isplay-restart

Most of the above is common to the Android cars covered on here in great detail.
It’s been in the garage 4 or 5 times according to the OP. I think the garage would of thought of a centre screen reset…..
Ilovelifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 00:08   #7
KeithR56

Quote:
A year ago I purchased my XC40 P8 first edition full electric twin motor AWD car.
Quote:
The car is a first edition 20 plate
Hi Stewart. What date was your car first registered? I thought the P8 only started being delivered in December 2020, but cars with 20 plates were registered from March to the end of August 2020, so I’m quite surprised that you have a 20 reg P8
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 07:59   #8
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelifts View Post
It’s been in the garage 4 or 5 times according to the OP. I think the garage would of thought of a centre screen reset…..
Yes, but was posting for the owner, they can do the screen reset if they have an issue and will fix the problem for themselves, removing the need to go to the dealership to have it done.

Have had similar sound issues with phone, indicator noise, radio not playing, all fixed within 30 seconds with reset option.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 12:33   #9
Stewart1359

Default Reset

Yes it has been reset that way. The car has been fully reset at the dealer. It has had software up dates at the dealer and I have done updates myself. The problem just keep coming back no matter what is done. I was told that the car had Apple car play when I purchased it but it didn’t and it was only installed about August in an update and even that does not always work.The car was registered in January 20 and will turn 2 years in January.
When I started complaining to the dealer and Volvo customer services they were both telling me that they had never heard of this problem or had it before. The lastest from both is that this is a common problem in an XC40 and other models of the Volvo range. A year of this and Volvo and the dealer think that this is acceptable.
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 13:00   #10
S90
IT Guru

Not sure what you want us to say. Clearly not all vehicles have these issues, and unfortunately, 2 years in, your options are limited.

I am aware that the 60 series vehicles suffer from more issues that say the 90's, no idea why. My 23 V90 has been fine. Couple times the ACP screen will be black, but i just unplug and plug back in and its fine.

Sounds to me like there is possibly a module which is not happy in the car that is causing these issues, but as a buyer and 2 years have passed, not a great position to be in.

Have you tried another dealer?? Not all are equal? Also, advising people not to buy a model because your particular one, one that is no longer sold, is a bit knee jerk.