Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 No AWD Want to report this to BBC Watch Dog

Views : 100669

Replies : 432

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 00:12   #61
speedbird800

SED5,

I'm not in your camp on this one. As other posters have mentioned you have a warning light to tell you that your screen wash bottle is empty but not one to tell you that your AWD doesn't work.

The reason this is important is due to the fact that the car "first and foremost is a AWD vehicle. This is a Fundamental feature of the whole existance of the car." This is a quote from Volvo Customer services at Volvo UK.

If the guy on the phone can say this, then I'm with him.

SED5 if your vehicle gets stuck on a dark night in the middle of nowhere with your family and the rescue truck can't get to you due to the fact that there are so many other call outs, you will feel the way I do. You will also feel what on earth have you paid all that money for!

I'm not saying that Volvo is a bad brand! I'm saying that this is a very important issue that they need to put right and honor. After all you can't trade off of past glory forever. You must maintain that level of superior service and quality! Otherwise the question people will be asking is...

How do you say Ford in Swedish? Answer. Volvo!

Think about others and someone will think about you!
speedbird800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 00:45   #62
AB-UK
Premier Member

I think the phrases "Fit for Purpose" and "Trades Descriptions Act" have significance.
The Volvo XC90 is sold in the UK as "AWD", meaning "All Wheel Drive", and if the said vehicle doesn't supply drive power to all four wheels then these two phrases should sound alarm bells at Volvo UK.
As "Watchdog" is not just concerned with safety issues, and does include items involving "cowboys" and other rip-off merchants, I can't see why they shouldn't be interested in this too.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 13:22   #63
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I've counted up and in this thread and 5 owners are saying they have a lack of AWD which isn't enough to show a major problem yet in my opinion.

perussel used to post a lot here about the XC90 as his company use them as company cars, buying about 50 at a time and he knew what problems the model had as well as anyone, but he never said there was a problem with the AWD failing on any of them.

Roy
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 13:40   #64
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I've counted up and in this thread and 5 owners are saying they have a lack of AWD which isn't enough to show a major problem yet in my opinion.

perussel used to post a lot here about the XC90 as his company use them as company cars, buying about 50 at a time and he knew what problems the model had as well as anyone, but he never said there was a problem with the AWD failing on any of them.

Roy
If they were company vehicles though Roy wouldnt they have been changing them at 3 yrs old?? Maybe not long enough for the fault to start showing! Just my thought like even if they are normally wrong!! lolol

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Feb 14th, 2009 at 13:41. Reason: Crap spelling as usual
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 22:42   #65
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
If they were company vehicles though Roy wouldnt they have been changing them at 3 yrs old?? Maybe not long enough for the fault to start showing! Just my thought like even if they are normally wrong!! lolol
I can't remember when they changed them but I'm sure it was a longer than 3 years, but whatever the length of time the milages he quoted were huge.

Roy
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 23:20   #66
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I can't remember when they changed them but I'm sure it was a longer than 3 years, but whatever the length of time the milages he quoted were huge.

Roy
I do like to keep my batting average of answers right Roy!!! lolol
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 23:43   #67
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
I do like to keep my batting average of answers right Roy!!! lolol
Here is a quote from perussell. I notice in another post he said he had done over 40,000 miles

Quote:
I have a 2004 '54' model D5 Auto Exec and at 18 months old was prasing its' reliability compared to older models. I have also seen several people praising the reliability of their models, one member seems to have had 4 or 5 without problems but then it would appear he didn't have each of them for long.
Now my XC90 is 31 months old I am much less impressed with its' reliablility having had new airbag sensors, new rear wheel bearings, new track rod ends (recall) etc fitted.
I do like the car immensely though I have to say I am not replacing it with another one. I am also greatly relieved that it's within warranty. I am not sure I would ever buy one privately and outside of the warranty period. For the money it is just not reliable enough. I also work where we have 40+ of these in our fleet and I have not seen many of my colleagues choose the same car again.
If you do choose to buy one make sure those rear wheel bearings have been replaced, the problem is very common and very expensive to repair if out of warranty.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 13:54   #68
Mixam

Default Rose Tinted Specs

Take a look in all the threads, look at the Swedish and US forums. There are loads of AWD failures and problems.

Plus if 100% of XC vehicles had this fault, 98% wouldn't have a clue.
You can't tell unless you are on ground where the AWD decides it needs to place the power to the rear wheels, and with due respect, if the vehicle still moves forwards on two wheel drive they wouldn't notice the rears weren't driving.
It's only when the vehicle can't move and spins the fronts frantically that it becomes really noticeable. You start to wonder why.
Trust me Roy, if yours hasn't failed and you haven't experienced it, you aren't in a position to comment. My misses and I drove hers for possibly 3 years without noticing.

I really cannot see Roys' point.
Mixam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 14:55   #69
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixam View Post
Take a look in all the threads, look at the Swedish and US forums. There are loads of AWD failures and problems.

Plus if 100% of XC vehicles had this fault, 98% wouldn't have a clue.
You can't tell unless you are on ground where the AWD decides it needs to place the power to the rear wheels, and with due respect, if the vehicle still moves forwards on two wheel drive they wouldn't notice the rears weren't driving.
It's only when the vehicle can't move and spins the fronts frantically that it becomes really noticeable. You start to wonder why.
Trust me Roy, if yours hasn't failed and you haven't experienced it, you aren't in a position to comment. My misses and I drove hers for possibly 3 years without noticing.

I really cannot see Roys' point.
I'm just trying to work out whether the car has a major problem or the odd failure of the kind that can be expected from any manufacturer of a very complex piece of machinery.

A link to these Swedish failures would help as all I can find are American's with the T6 GM auto box, which are known to have a problem. What I want so see are the D5 Asin Warner AWD failures.

To give some kind of perspective on the issue I've been looking at the no. of XC90's made.....

Quote:
XC90 – the best-selling Volvo model
Already during its second full calendar year on the market, the Volvo XC90 became the company’s best-selling model. Thanks to the enormous sales successes of the XC90 during its first year, a decision was taken about a year ago to increase the rate of production from about 65,000 to more than 90,000 XC90s a year, with sales in 2004 reaching a total of 84,032 (62,177) cars. Together with the recently introduced V8 engine, sales in 2005 will hopefully exceed 100,000 cars.

AWD has become a huge success for Volvo’s cars. In 2004, no less than 143,000 AWD Volvos were sold, which means that virtually one in three Volvos sold has four-wheel drive.
Roy
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 16:54   #70
4wheeldriver
Master Member

They seem to have sold a lot of these for them being faulty but being honest I'm less than impressed with the build quality of Volvos newer vehicles over the older ones that I've owned. Granted the xc has a FAR more complex set of running gear than any of the others I've owned. They just dont seem to build 'em like they used to!! If this isn't a widespread problem it could well be that it's due to owners not being any the wiser till the stinky stuff hits the fan or it could be that it definately ISN'T as widespread as is being made out. I KNOW my rears are driving after the snow here last week or so so I can't comment on how annoying it is but I HAVE had gearbox probs since the falling out of gear was cured. I now have an annoying "clunk" when I pull away from standstill as it engages drive. What this is I have no idea or if it's maybe related to this problem but if it's the start of something more serious I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow. 400 miles with the caravan on the back should sort if somethings going to break or not!!