Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 slow to turnover and start

Views : 10633

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 12:25   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mido View Post
hello i know this is a 8+ yrs old post..... can I ask what was the actual problem and how was it fixed???

thanks
The age of the thread isn't the problem.
The OP not logging on for 7 years is.

Work your way through the suggestions already posted and the situation may become clearer or even resolved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 23:11   #12
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05

I also have a slow start up - haven't tested but suspect an old battery. It went dead a few weeks ago while doing some work on the car.

Bought a battery from euro car parts which is being delivered this week. Will post when I pop it in.

Let me know how your troubleshooting goes.
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 21:01   #13
crispinchurch

Default had same slow / bad starter

had mine for ten months last feb bad starting replaced battery seemed better
this nov starting bad like 10 seconds turning over before starting at 6C
anything below added jump from the old battery i took off starter turns twice as fast
forum hunting said glow plugs changed them nope
injectors do injector flow back best thing i learnt 4 inject 10ml in minute number 5 80ml changed for secondhand
WOW starts in 3 seconds cleaned up old one now got spare
for sack off collecting 5 coke bottle and a bit of fish tank air line bit of blue peter magic
crispinchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 03:08   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

If its an automatic, try putting it in Neutral, then start it with a little gas, i too have this issue and thats with a spanking new battery. If i put it in Neutral, she starts no probs.

Although, mine might be a slightly different issue as mine is a bit lumpy and its also the lumpiness that goes when started in Neutral
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:07   #15
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05

Quote:
injectors do injector flow back best thing i learnt 4 inject 10ml in minute number 5 80ml changed for secondhand
Quote:
for sack off collecting 5 coke bottle and a bit of fish tank air line bit of blue peter magic
Hi, what do you mean in these two quotes? I have replaced my battery but still sounds like its struggling (i.e. turnover speed isn't anything like id expect with a new battery). Would like to try what you've done to see if it helps
V70 D5 SE AUTO 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 09:22   #16
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 D5 SE AUTO 05 View Post
Hi, what do you mean in these two quotes? I have replaced my battery but still sounds like its struggling (i.e. turnover speed isn't anything like id expect with a new battery). Would like to try what you've done to see if it helps
Injector leak testing is for when the motor is cranking at full speed but not firing.
With slow cranking you need to think about the battery, the cables to and from the starter motor especially the earth from below the starter to behind the headlight. These cables break near the lug at the bottom end. After that the next possibility is a lazy starter motor.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:10   #17
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
I have 3 x 110 ah batteries (off my boat for domestic supply) which weren't holding their charge so I took them to a battery supplier and asked him to check them for me.

He connected a super-dooper bit of kit that he'd just paid £1000 for and announced that they were fine. I knew they weren't!

I told him that I'd seen a test where a big load was put on the battery for a few seconds and he eventually reluctantly dug out the heavy duty old tester from the back of the garage. It whacks a huge load across - 80 amps or so just like a diesel car starting!

He tested each battery and, ............ "they're f*****d" he said!

You can't beat the simple old methods!
If you drop test leisure batteries (what these should of been for domestic supply) you ruin them.
Drop testing buckles the plates on a leisure battery only suitable for starter batteries which are made for heavy duty starting.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote