Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'89 240GLT 2.3, B230E K-Jet

Views : 1347

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 20:12   #1
mr brightside

Default '89 240GLT 2.3, B230E K-Jet

125,000 mls
2 Former Keepers
Currently SORN
MOT expiry- 4/12/11
Photos

Bought from a chap in Edinburgh on 23/4/06 and prior to that was bought new from an Edinburgh dealership by the first keeper. No history was passed on to me at the point of sale, as it had been lost, so it only has history from the date i got it onwards. For the past 3 yrs it has been a winter only car and i've been running a Porsche in the summer instead. It's done circa 55k under my ownership, the oil and filter have been changed every 5k without fail and it's been flushed around every 2/3 oil changes- so every 10-15k.

I won't bang on about reliability- that comes as standard with a 240. It has a number of issues forcing me to sell it which i'll list later. It's got Broquettes in the tank and i changed the gearbox oil last winter, recent important jobs include- timing belt and tensioner at 115k, blower motor a few months ago (very difficult and labour intensive job), full exhaust system in '10, recon front calipers about 3/4 yrs ago, new clutch master seals, 17.3s timed 1/4 mile. It's been very much a utilitarian car and this is reflected in the exterior condition; it has a folding tow bar which i fitted myself, and the electrics are soldered in the boot and the socket is potted with silicone sealant to avoid moisture ingress.

Known issues:

Steering rack is worn and leaks badly
Bottom steering joint locks up and top also has history with this problem
Gearbox is noisy in 3rd and 5th
Prop shaft centre donut needs doing
Engine is lumpy at low revs but drives fine above 1200 rpm
Engine has slightly noisy tappet when cold
Back calipers have snapped bleed nipples
Suspension is bouncy all round, worse at back
Front top mounts knock
Main earth strap needs recrimping- i don't have the tools
Boot leaks
Heaters only blow hot!

There is a gap in the dash where i had my auxillary gauges, these have been removed and aren't for sale, the old radio/cassette went in the bin long ago but there is a Pioneer CD/radio relocated to the glove box. The speakers have been upgraded to Sony 2-ways but retaining the standard Volvo grills. The CD player outputs are wired to the amp output wires and bypass it completely, the original system could be reinstated by reconnecting all the wiring as the big black multicore to the amp is intact.

None of the problems prevent it from being driven and it's a perfectly servicable car if you don't mind trusting to luck a bit! I'm a fell runner and often travel over 200 miles a day in it to go to races in the lakes and Wales, it's always got me there but the jobs are mounting up and i don't have the facilities to attend to them. Plus i have an old Skoda i need to concentrate on more.

I'm open to offers for it, it's way too good to break and this will be obvious to anyone who comes to look at it so no enquiries from scrap men please. Anyone genuinely interested in taking on a little project PM me and i'll give you my number.

mr brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:19   #2
mr brightside

The car is in Leeds.

Could anyone who PMs me please include an email address, as until i have 30 forum posts i can't send any PMs. Sorry!
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:07   #3
oggsie

hi, any chance you could add some contact details as I cant send any pm's until I have enough posts, but I am interested in the car. Thanks
oggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:45   #4
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

with luck its mine now!!!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:11   #5
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

sold to me
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:34   #6
mr brightside

The car is expected to be sold tommorrow.
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:55   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Ooh! Well saved 240...... What are your plans? Dying to know, like others I guess
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 23:35   #8
mr brightside

Sold to 240.