Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trade in do's and don'ts

Views : 3007

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:38   #1
Linz

Default Trade in do's and don'ts

Hi

I'm looking to sell my xc60 and get a s40. Is it against the rules to trade in for a cheaper car??
I don't want to ask my dealer in case they laugh at me!
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:46   #2
volvo145
Premier Member

No but just remember they are in business to make money and prefer if you gave them the money.
Dont be surprised if you get insulted with there offer for your car.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:46   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question Trade in do's and don'ts

you are allways better selling your own car if you can and buying with out a trade in if possible the dealer will allways try and give you a lower price than he will sell your car for if he dit not then he would not be makeing money as he has to give some warranty with cars hes sells plus maybe take in another trafe in, keep them cleaned and safe. but shop arround see what you get offered. for
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:30   #4
Seeker_UK

If you're going to go for a new car, go in around Christmas - it's the slowest time of the year for dealers and they'll snap your hand off for a deal.

And never, ever, answer the question "what do you want for your car?" with a figure. Always ask the dealer what the deal is to change.
Seeker_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 09:26   #5
Linz

Mines a may 2009 xc60 D5 SE Lux.
Black manual drive
Extras include Bluetooth, front parking sensors, styling kit, tinted windows. Theres 26000 miles on the clock, full service history and warranty and free servicing until may 2012.
What sort of money could I expect on the private Market and more importantly would I get a buyer at this Market value?!
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 09:51   #6
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Black manual drive
Extras include Bluetooth, front parking sensors, styling kit, tinted windows. Theres 26000 miles on the clock, full service history and warranty and free servicing until may 2012.
What sort of money could I expect on the private Market and more importantly would I get a buyer at this Market value?!
For a quick guide price use one of the "buy my car" web sites, that would be your bottom price for a trade in or private sale.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:42   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Black manual drive
Dealer £24,635
Private £22,210
Part exchange £20,735
Trade £19,780

Suppose cars are easier to sell by dealers as they offer P/X finance etc whereas for a private sale the buyer needs a bag of cash so it may present a challenge, particularly this near to Christmas and in the current economic climate!

Why are you selling?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:47   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker_UK View Post
If you're going to go for a new car, go in around Christmas - it's the slowest time of the year for dealers and they'll snap your hand off for a deal.

And never, ever, answer the question "what do you want for your car?" with a figure. Always ask the dealer what the deal is to change.
Good point although if I was in this position I would say 28 grand (if lets say I knew it was worth say 23k). If the dealer says "you wont sell it for that" I would say..."I bet you will try though"..!!

Maybe I would answer the question with a question "whats it worth to you"?

Always know what the value is mind, and always have a figure in mind that you want/need

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:06   #9
Seeker_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Good point although if I was in this position I would say 28 grand (if lets say I knew it was worth say 23k). If the dealer says "you wont sell it for that" I would say..."I bet you will try though"..!!

Maybe I would answer the question with a question "whats it worth to you"?

Always know what the value is mind, and always have a figure in mind that you want/need

Regards
A good strategy. Have a figure in mind - a "bottom line, I won't deal for any less" figure - but get them to do the work for you.

Most non-franchised dealers look for a £2K profit per car and franchised look to make £3-4K. In both cases this covers profit and having to put it through the workshop to warranty it / get it through the MoT. If they're keen to do a deal they will drop £500 w/out blinking and if desperate for a deal will go up to another £500 off.
Seeker_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 13:42   #10
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker_UK View Post
...... franchised look to make £3-4K
Blimey... i'm obviously working at the wrong place...

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Jan 5th, 2012 at 13:57.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
s40, trade in, xc60