Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 V50 1.8 Petrol Engine Blue Smoke

Views : 2479

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:25   #1
simonmunro

Default 2005 V50 1.8 Petrol Engine Blue Smoke

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if any Volvo guru can help me, I have a 1.8 petrol 2005 V50. It's using a fair bit of oil, approx around 0.75 litre oil per 600 miles.

Blue smoke comes out of the exhaust when you rev it hard, I've removed all the spark plugs and they are all normal in colour and indicate normal burning colour, none of them are black and sooty.

I've also done a compression test and every cylinder is giving the exact same figure of 145 psi/10bar.

Also whilst doing the compression test, removing the air filter I noticed the throttle body when opening is full of black soot/gunk.

Am I right in thinking there is a crank case breather fitted than can fail and cause blue smoke.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also just to add blue smoke doesn't come out when you first start it from cold.
simonmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 14:58   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

If you had a turbo I'd say it could be the oil seal in the turbo but given you don't, it's more than likely the valve stem seals or piston rings in the engine. Usually if it's the rings it'll be puffing blue smoke on start up too, you say it's only when revving/accelerating though, which would point more to stem steals.

What's the mileage?
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 15:11   #3
simonmunro

140000 miles, would the rings still be gone if the compression test was bang on the same figures for all cylinders?
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 17:14   #4
ShawnFZX

Good compression and clean plugs (usually) indicates the inlet seals and rings are good. How is the tip of the exhaust after a good long run? If it's wet and sooty that could indicate the exhaust valve seals are leaking.

Not sure if your engine has a PCV valve. But get that checked if it does. Because if that were stuck it would give you oily throttle bodies as you described.
ShawnFZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 18:57   #5
Andaru

The two main things I'd consider would be either the PCV or valve stem seals. From what you've said, your rings are fine and being N/A you can rule out ringland failure almost by default.

You would be surprised how black and mucky the intake can get even on a good engine as the PCV returns the oily air after the MAF but before the throttle body, so it's kind of hard to say without pics. But your PCV could be blocked somewhere which would pressurise the system and force oil up past the control rings or not let it return to the sump properly - which then gets burned in the chamber.

You didn't say what mileage you have, but if it's high-ish then valve stem seals are a distinct and expensive possibility.

Last edited by Andaru; Jul 26th, 2017 at 19:00.
Andaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 23:05   #6
Paul78

My 1.8 petrol (2005) seems to use a lot of oil too. I was advised by my garage that using the "wrong" oil can result in the engine using more than it should.

Are you using 5W/30 semi synthetic?
Paul78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 13:27   #7
simonmunro

Thanks for the replies and the info.

The car has 140000 miles on it, bit of an update I took out the air filter and noticed that there is a sponge like filter that is covered in oil.

Unfortunately ran out of time to investigate further but I'm kind of guessing that this could be where the crankcase breather feeds into just before the air filter.

Any further info appreciated, I'll try and take a couple of pictures that might help diagnosis.

I have been using 5w/30 oil
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 14:48   #8
crockey1

Think last post spam advert.......
crockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 18:25   #9
celtjon

Default 2005 V50 1.8 Petrol Engine Blue Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmunro View Post
Thanks for the replies and the info.

The car has 140000 miles on it, bit of an update I took out the air filter and noticed that there is a sponge like filter that is covered in oil.

Unfortunately ran out of time to investigate further but I'm kind of guessing that this could be where the crankcase breather feeds into just before the air filter.

Any further info appreciated, I'll try and take a couple of pictures that might help diagnosis.

I have been using 5w/30 oil
So did you resolve this problem, the thread seemed to go silent. Was it the valve stem seals? I have a V50 with a very similar problem.
celtjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 13:07   #10
celtjon

Default V50 smokey above 2000 RPM

some images taken as I prepare to remove the head. Inlet valve stems appear oily. https://flic.kr/s/aHskzMhm9d
celtjon is offline   Reply With Quote