Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound level on B&W system depending on source

Views : 500

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2017, 08:18   #1
Bicax

Default Sound level on B&W system depending on source

Hello,

When listening to tracks saved on a portable hard drive, the sound level is overall lower than when I listen to tracks on the Sensus Spotify app. By this I mean that I could max out (or almost) the B&W volume when reading from the HDD, whereas when using Spotify it was so loud that I wouldn't go over 60 or 70%.

I tried a lot of different albums, all FLAC files and some 24Bit.

Has anyone had this?

I'm using a Lacie 500Gb portable HDD, connected to a single USB. I thought that it might be that the Lacie requires too much power to run, therefore reducing the strength of the signal?
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 08:47   #2
KNVXC90

I use a 32 GB USB stick for my music. I roughly go upto 30% volume and the B&W system is loud enough for me.

Very similar experience to the volume in my previous car with Bose system.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2

Last edited by KNVXC90; Oct 12th, 2017 at 09:08.
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 09:39   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post

When listening to tracks saved on a portable hard drive, the sound level is overall lower than when I listen to tracks on the Sensus Spotify app.
Has anyone had this?
It happens a lot, not just on car audio. It's to do with the reference level chosen for the recording and to a lesser extent how it was encoded. Some music services increase the level (and perhaps also reduce the dynamic range) to give the illusion of higher quality. (The human ear doesn't hear in a linear way at low volumes). If you're ripping your own CDs, some rippers allow you to increase the apparent volume.

Quote:
I'm using a Lacie 500Gb portable HDD, connected to a single USB. I thought that it might be that the Lacie requires too much power to run, therefore reducing the strength of the signal?
Nope, it's a digital signal so either it works or it doesn't (in simple terms).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 15:38   #4
Bicax

Thanks a lot.

Which brings the question of whether it is normal that I manage to almost max out the B&W on some albums :-) I do enjoy loud music, but I still thought I would get a bigger margin than that. I will test more.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 16:37   #5
KNVXC90

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Which brings the question of whether it is normal that I manage to almost max out the B&W on some albums :-) I do enjoy loud music, but I still thought I would get a bigger margin than that. I will test more.
It doesn't sound normal that you are maxing out B&W on some albums. Either your audio files are dodgy or something is up with B&W.

If I even go to like 50% on my B&W, its too loud and makes the doors vibrate.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 18:39   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello,

When listening to tracks saved on a portable hard drive, the sound level is overall lower than when I listen to tracks on the Sensus Spotify app. By this I mean that I could max out (or almost) the B&W volume when reading from the HDD, whereas when using Spotify it was so loud that I wouldn't go over 60 or 70%.

I tried a lot of different albums, all FLAC files and some 24Bit.

Has anyone had this?

I had a S90 service loan car with B&W and found the volume needed to be a lot higher than on my XC90 with standard audio, as you say you could easily max it without it being too loud, 50% on my standard system gave the same volume, I came away from that car thinking B&W was not worth paying extra for and standard system was really good. I did not delve into the B&W settings to see if it could be wound up more.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 18:54   #7
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I had a S90 service loan car with B&W and found the volume needed to be a lot higher than on my XC90 with standard audio, as you say you could easily max it without it being too loud, 50% on my standard system gave the same volume, I came away from that car thinking B&W was not worth paying extra for and standard system was really good. I did not delve into the B&W settings to see if it could be wound up more.
Could be a badly cofigured or faulty B&W system, as that's not the experience I get from mine.
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 08:07   #8
Bicax

It is probably due to the source, then, since with Spotify it was considerably louder. I’ll try to check what’s going on with my FLAC files.

I forgot to mention (but it’s important) that this was at highway speeds. I didn’t really try it out in town (busy trying to find my way and didn’t want distractions).
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 14:07   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
Could be a badly cofigured or faulty B&W system, as that's not the experience I get from mine.
As it was the sales managers own car I was driving, I did not want to alter any settings to find out, dont get me wrong it was good but I thought it was not much better than my standard audio which is very good, and its far overpriced, I would not pay that price for home radio system never mind one in a noisy car.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote