Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many miles a week...

Views : 2029

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 08:59   #11
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
What is your car usage. Do you really need one, big commute, or do you have one for enjoyment, or both?
I find it difficult to provide a weekly figure 'biggbn', as it varies greatly from week to week and season to season. I can give an annual one, which if divided by 52 will equate to an average weekly one, but that would be meaningless out of context.

What I have found is that, since I retired, my annual mileage has reduced dramatically, with a concomitant increase in my costs per mile.

Annual mileages in recent cars as follows:

Current

Saab convertible 4196
Saab 9000 (Linda's car) 2628
Volvo V70 3557

Total = 10381 miles per year or c200 per week

Previously, in reverse chronological order

Saab 9 - 5 13203
Saab 9000 CSE 11438
Volvo 944 15877
Volvo 745 21179
Volvo 744 27402

I could go back further in time, but you can see the pattern.

So, whereas a car was once more of a business tool used occasionally for pleasure purposes, now it is unquestionably a luxury that I could, but choose not to, do without.

Why the interest?

Regards, John.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:13   #12
id5
Premier Member

We have only ever done less than 100 a week on average in the Volvo's. Work cars, currently the Pug, used to do 750 miles a week plus but with the latest job change it is now less than a 100 as well.

Looking to go electric or hybrid next.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:32   #13
reggit
Premier Member

Used to do 125 miles a day commute, then changed the job, now have a zero mile commute as have a work van. saves shed loads of money!
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:44   #14
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

175-200 miles most weeks, most of that being my 21-mile each-way commute 4 days a week. This week 350 miles due to being in a stage production every evening. Once it warms up a bit there will hopefully be some trips out just for the sake of getting the roof down and some sun on my head!

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:47   #15
tofufi
Premier Member

I own 6 cars, and cover typically 15,000 mi/yr.

The 740 around 10k miles/yr, the rest is spread between the others.

Lowest annual mileage last year was 8 miles (to the MOT (pass) and back)
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 14:26   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Regular use is 10 miles each way for work, need the car as there are no bus/trains from here to there, and especially not at 1 o'clock in the morning. That totals to a bit less than 5000 miles a year and then I do another couple of thousand running around at the weekend, going to see family etc. The wife's car does similar

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 14:55   #17
I-S
Premier Member

Nissan Leaf: 5 days a week commute (25 miles round trip) plus shops/tip/local trips out average 150 miles per week total.

Volvo V70: occasional use when husband needs to go somewhere during the week, trips to my mum's (160 miles away) or brother's (230 miles away) houses. Now doing maybe 2k per year this year, but next year it's likely to do a couple of thousand around Europe in addition.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 16:53   #18
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I find it difficult to provide a weekly figure 'biggbn', as it varies greatly from week to week and season to season. I can give an annual one, which if divided by 52 will equate to an average weekly one, but that would be meaningless out of context.

What I have found is that, since I retired, my annual mileage has reduced dramatically, with a concomitant increase in my costs per mile.

Annual mileages in recent cars as follows:

Current

Saab convertible 4196
Saab 9000 (Linda's car) 2628
Volvo V70 3557

Total = 10381 miles per year or c200 per week

Previously, in reverse chronological order

Saab 9 - 5 13203
Saab 9000 CSE 11438
Volvo 944 15877
Volvo 745 21179
Volvo 744 27402

I could go back further in time, but you can see the pattern.

So, whereas a car was once more of a business tool used occasionally for pleasure purposes, now it is unquestionably a luxury that I could, but choose not to, do without.

Why the interest?

Regards, John.
I wondered howany of us really NEED a car is all. I love cars and have literally owned hundreds covering many miles, but it's getting harder to justify nipping to the shops or to a work place a mile away in this day and age. Yet public transport is slow, unreliable and impractical for most

I usually own a few cars, currently drive a tdi beetle with @180k miles on it between 300 and 700 miles every week. Public transport would work for me but would be considerably more expensive and inconvenient. Something's gotta change.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 18:02   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Ah, but I also have a 'bus pass, "biggbn'! We are fortunate in living on the EMA 'Skylink' routes. There is a 'bus every half hour 24/7 to Derby, Nottingham and Leicester - journey time about an hour, give or take. A good alternative to the car for the retired!

Regards. John.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:07   #20
Drivetest

800/1300 a week in Outlander Phev checking masts with onboard computers.quiet and smooth and electric heaters run off battery to de ice it when I am getting up .Tax reasons and congestion charge why the company got them .Paint and build quality is poor seat ok .My own car is V60 2.0 163bhp.
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drivetest For This Useful Post: