Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vauxhall

Views : 2692

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 22:38   #1
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Default Vauxhall

...are closing all dealers. Sad day for once great name. I have owned and loved many big banger Vauxhalls from 3.3 '66 viscount to 3.0 senators and big Carlton, v6 omegas and calibras. Really liked each and every one. Wonder if this is way industry in general will move as cars become ever more white goods as it were, spec and order online, delivered from factory to front door?
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 23:01   #2
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
...are closing all dealers. Sad day for once great name. I have owned and loved many big banger Vauxhalls from 3.3 '66 viscount to 3.0 senators and big Carlton, v6 omegas and calibras. Really liked each and every one. Wonder if this is way industry in general will move as cars become ever more white goods as it were, spec and order online, delivered from factory to front door?
Apologies biggbn but you must get your facts right, Vauxhall are going through a refranchisement process, which in many ways was predicted (by me) as a result of the sale by GM to PSA.

Post 2020, Vauxhall have stated their dealer network will still be the second largest in the UK (quote, Stephen Norman, MD Vauxhall).

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 23:51   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-sales-plunge/

Yeah, I don't really understand the mumbo jumbo here...will existing dealers shut and sales be absorbed into psa network? In which case the statement that they are closing their dealers is true? I'm really kinda lost here bro, join up the dots for me?

If they are 'merely'closing unprofitable outlets, that I can understand, neoliberal capitalism demands Darwinian economics. Is this another example of scaremongering news headlines, which I have inadvertently added to....🤔🙁

Last edited by biggbn; Apr 18th, 2018 at 23:54.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 01:10   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really understand the mumbo jumbo here...will existing dealers shut and sales be absorbed into psa network?
Nowhere does it say that all dealerships are closing.

They're just giving notice that the current franchise arrangement will end in 2 years but if franchisees accept Vauxhall new proposed terms, business will continue as usual as far as the public is concerned.

From the article you've linked to.....
Quote:
We do not expect a reduction in the number of retail dealer outlets as a result of this action
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 06:40   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Is this another example of scaremongering news headlines, which I have inadvertently added to....🤔🙁
Based on content of the Telegraph article, yes.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:06   #6
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Vauxhall

Quote:

Yeah, I don't really understand the mumbo jumbo here...will existing dealers shut and sales be absorbed into psa network? In which case the statement that they are closing their dealers is true? I'm really kinda lost here bro, join up the dots for me?

If they are 'merely'closing unprofitable outlets, that I can understand, neoliberal capitalism demands Darwinian economics. Is this another example of scaremongering news headlines, which I have inadvertently added to....🤔🙁
Morning George, I called in to my local VX dealer wed. which was a privately owned co. until a year or so ago,was then sold to a local chain. seems to be the trend,i.e Marshalls of Cambridge acquiring everything in sight. I wanted a thermostat,just knew they would not have one,don't even have a proper parts dpt. any more, and trending!! Any way, asked one of the people there if he knew what was going on? "No" was the reply, usual 'mushroom' mode for the employees!even the long serving ones like himself. How times changed,I spent over 10 years working for Arlington in the Greater London area, they were GM Dealers,Vauxhall/Bedford plus Leyland truck/bus and later Leyland/Daf. Big parts dpt's. probably why I expect to be able to buy a fast moving part like a thermostat. Well the rumor mill will carry on grinding away no doubt. just have to wait and see. Regards,Keith.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:17   #7
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Is there an echo in here ?

Quote:

There's no mumbo jumbo, what Vauxhall are proposing is commonplace in the automotive sector. The only mumbo jumbo is your neoliberal capitalism...Darwinian economics comment...biggbn you sound like a JuJu man !!!

I would have thought with your social conscience (!) you might have commented on the rather more newsworthy fact that JLR (JaguarLandRover) are cutting 1000 jobs and have already cut production of Evoque and Discovery Sport.

For example, JLRs sales have dropped by 26% in the UK and 32% in Germany (the volume in Germany is far greater in it's impact). JLRs decision is due to a combination of factors (like Vauxhalls) that includes the decline in diesel sales and Brexit fears.

Jon.

N.B perhaps my previous automotive comments have been too nuanced for you ?

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 19th, 2018 at 07:32. Reason: typo
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:00   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I would have thought with your social conscience (!) you might have commented on the rather more newsworthy fact that JLR (JaguarLandRover) are cutting 1000 jobs and have already cut production of Evoque and Discovery Sport.
And is that all that it seems at face value? As I understand it, JLR are not cutting 1000 jobs, Jon, they are not renewing that number of temporary contracts - not quite the same thing!

Regards. John.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:15   #9
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
And is that all that it seems at face value? As I understand it, JLR are not cutting 1000 jobs, Jon, they are not renewing that number of temporary contracts - not quite the same thing!

Regards. John.
That's as you understand it is it ? My understanding comes from the conference recently attended where a director of JLR made a presentation - part of that presentation was the announcement that they were cutting 1000 jobs at Solihull due to falling sales.

They are temporary contract workers and it is still 1000 people that will walk out of that factory gate and not return or be replaced by another 1000 workers.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 19th, 2018 at 08:18.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:18   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
That's as you understand it is it ? My understanding comes from the conference recently attended where a director of JLR made a presentation - part of that presentation was the announcement that they were cutting 1000 jobs at Solihull due to falling sales.

They are temporary contract workers and it is still 1000 people that will walk out of that factory gate and not return or be replaced by another 1000 workers.

Jon.
Very true, Jon. You will no doubt also be aware that this is common practice in the motor industry, i.e. to have a 'core' staff and to also employ the services of contractors as necessary. The latter are a 'tap' that can turned on and off on as required to suit the fluctuating demands of production. This is simply market forces at work. It is when the core staff is reduced, with no immediate prospect of re-engagement, that we should be concerned.

It is a system that works well, and I do not speak without personal experience. Personally, I think that since Ratan Tata took over the company, JLR have gone from strength to strength to become rightly a world-class organisation. Tata is an inspiring man, and yes, I have heard him speak.

Regards, John.