Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you use your air con?

Views : 10207

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do use air con...
Mostly always on all year. 171 73.39%
Only when it's really hot. 47 20.17%
No it does not work and not bothered about it. 8 3.43%
Uses to much fuel, open the window. 2 0.86%
It works but still never use it even if really hot. 5 2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 22:33   #41
StanC
'Mature' Member

Like most folk here I have my aircon running continuously - the car is a 1996 960 3Ltr 24v with climate control, so it just keeps the car at the nice comfortable set temperature whatever it's doing outside. Running the aircon frequently keeps the system healthy and my system, at 22 years old, has only ever been recharged once, seven years ago when I had the compressor replaced. I check the charge every spring, but it just never seems to leak any refrigerant (now I've put my foot in it - it'll probably fail on me now!). As for the effect on fuel consumption, my car seems to be as fuel-efficient as is expected for a 3Ltr 960 and I've never really found it a problem.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 23:28   #42
owyn
Premier Member

My old V70 had an issue with AC and cruise control, with cc on and AC on it would jerk and vary speed when the compressor clutch came in and out. If I ran one or the other it was fine, I did wonder if the compressor was on its last legs and starting to seize, the car had done a mere 190,000 miles.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 19:49   #43
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanC View Post
Like most folk here I have my aircon running continuously - the car is a 1996 960 3Ltr 24v with climate control, so it just keeps the car at the nice comfortable set temperature whatever it's doing outside. Running the aircon frequently keeps the system healthy and my system, at 22 years old, has only ever been recharged once, seven years ago when I had the compressor replaced. I check the charge every spring, but it just never seems to leak any refrigerant (now I've put my foot in it - it'll probably fail on me now!). As for the effect on fuel consumption, my car seems to be as fuel-efficient as is expected for a 3Ltr 960 and I've never really found it a problem.
A friend has a '96 S70 (I think that's what it is) & his A/C still blows ice cold. He did mock a bit when I had to replace the condenser on my (then) 8 year old C70 as his was still on the original condenser. "They don't make 'em like they used to"...

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 15:45   #44
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I just use mine when I need it.

The problem with setting a temperature and leaving it on AUTO is that it's just so bl**dy noisy all the time.

My S40 just wacks the fans on full and will keep it like that till it reaches the temperature I've set, then it dials back a bit, but never down to 'low' speeds which I'd like. It's just a primitive, annoying system IMO!
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 15:46   #45
civilservant

Always use air con, except for the hot days where I enjoy the breeze and fresh air through the car. Naturally, there are occasions when it's too hot and I need air con to cool down.

Advice over the years is if you have air con, use it regularly.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 21:42   #46
Montana
Master Member

Mines always on by default with the auto climate

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 22:48   #47
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Mines always on by default with the auto climate
Same here. I usually have mine checked every spring - makes me feel a lot better when I start out on the 1,100 mile trip to Sweden that all's ok and it'll be a comfortable trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 10:18   #48
blueblock

My Volvo is too old for air con, but I use it on the Seat if it ever starts misting up, and obviously when I need it proper cold. I also just run it once a week in the winter to stop it crapping out on me. At lower speeds I drive with the window open simply because I like the feeling of the air, but anything over 30 I put the AC on. The only slightly scary thing is that the car's 'eco monitor' informs me that with the AC on full cold, I'm using an extra half litre of fuel an hour! Usually I love extra pointless readouts on cars, but I feel like I could do without that one...
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueblock For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 21:13   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Just read this thread with interest and it's great to see so many people using A/C as it shoud be used - left on permanently and just alter the temperature and direction of the air from the system.

It dehumidifies the air in the car, making your carpets and upholstery last longer, preventing musty smells and also benefits the electronic items in the car such as the stereo, switches and the ECU and whatever else. As we all know, damp is the enemy of electronics and removing that damp from the air in the car with air con is a good move IMHO and also helps prevent dampness causing rust.

As for the age-old economy of windows Vs air-con debate, many moons ago i had a Nissan 300C with air-con - 3.0V6 auto. Whether i had the air-con on or off, that did 30mpg on general running about and 35mpg on a run, no matter what speeds, how heavy-footed, windows open or not, air-con on or not.
The Rover 827s i run now (as well as my 760 that doesn't currently have working air-con but will soon) show no difference whether the air-con is on or not, if there is a difference in economy i've yet to notice it and i would sacrifice that for keeping the air-con working so i can clear the screens quickly, cool down fast and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 22:07   #50
cheshired5
Premier Member

Even if there was an economy issue when using ac (which I've never found) any fuel saving would be wiped out by repairs to a seldom used ac system.
I've had and used ac constantly for 25 years and never needed to do any maintenance other than the odd regas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: