Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie with a Couple of Questions

Views : 498

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 20:40   #1
Jonathank

Default Newbie with a Couple of Questions

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a 2006 C70 D5 Auto for the summer. It's a one owner, 35k on the clock, 11 stamps in the book and every bill including the purchase invoice. Nice car with a couple of age related marks but nothing too serious.

I'm thinking of keeping it long term and do 3-4k a year so I'm going to start a rolling program of improvements and upgrades. The first 2 items on the list are 1. more power and 2. check and improve the woolly front end, assuming it can be.

I've read the thread on remapping and understand the 5 speed auto limitations but frankly I can't live with a wheezy asthmatic so if I can't make it breathe better and become a little more responsive it's going to have to go. I see that there's a guy called Don offering a £395 performance remap but how would this differ from, say, this company http://scm-remaps.co.uk/ who are relatively local to me and have a rolling road?

With regard to the front end and feeling heavy and a little 'woolly', is this normal or could I have some bush wear?

I may be being a little unfair to the car because my day car is an Audi 3.0 BiTdi Quattro Avant and it replaces a same age Boxster 987 as my 'toy' in the garage (knew I shouldn't have sold it) but by the same token, I don't expect it to perform like either of those either. I just want a competent cruiser for weekends and occasional trips abroad where the wife doesn't keep telling me to slow down and asking me why I have a sports car when the speed limit is 70 mph.

Any and all advice welcomed on both topics along with other upgrade tips on any aspect of the car you'd like to mention.

Thank you.
Jonathank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:59   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathank View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a 2006 C70 D5 Auto for the summer. It's a one owner, 35k on the clock, 11 stamps in the book and every bill including the purchase invoice. Nice car with a couple of age related marks but nothing too serious.

I'm thinking of keeping it long term and do 3-4k a year so I'm going to start a rolling program of improvements and upgrades. The first 2 items on the list are 1. more power and 2. check and improve the woolly front end, assuming it can be.

I've read the thread on remapping and understand the 5 speed auto limitations but frankly I can't live with a wheezy asthmatic so if I can't make it breathe better and become a little more responsive it's going to have to go. I see that there's a guy called Don offering a £395 performance remap but how would this differ from, say, this company http://scm-remaps.co.uk/ who are relatively local to me and have a rolling road?

With regard to the front end and feeling heavy and a little 'woolly', is this normal or could I have some bush wear?

I may be being a little unfair to the car because my day car is an Audi 3.0 BiTdi Quattro Avant and it replaces a same age Boxster 987 as my 'toy' in the garage (knew I shouldn't have sold it) but by the same token, I don't expect it to perform like either of those either. I just want a competent cruiser for weekends and occasional trips abroad where the wife doesn't keep telling me to slow down and asking me why I have a sports car when the speed limit is 70 mph.

Any and all advice welcomed on both topics along with other upgrade tips on any aspect of the car you'd like to mention.

Thank you.
a few D5 modded cars here so im sure they will be along soon, but Dons map is quite reputable in the volvo community along with Shark and Tim Williams but its entirely up to you, I know Shark and Don send a unit to you to do the map.

As for handling, I recommend the Bilestein B12 coilovers. I initially had eibach coils on but they really didnt do much appart from bring the ride down a bit. upgrading the rear sway bar is quite good as well.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 15:05   #3
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathank View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you.
Have a search on here to confirm, but remapping the auto box appears a no go. It can only just handle what Volvo gave it from the factory. It's torque limited in the first two gears anyway, so no benefit from a remap in lower gears.
Most companies offer a remap, but even the manual cars seem to give up eventually. Have a read of dme123's thread: - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211547

Don's remaps are highly reputable if you decide to go down this route. You can also try Shark who have a good reputation but there are many others. I think however you won't find too many remapped D5 autos!

The front end of mine used to be rock solid, but recently it's become a bit wooly. I've replaced the shocks all around with Bilstein B4's, but it's not what it was. No obvious signs of bush wear but somethings changed. Will need to resolve as it was completely solid in high speed corners, but not so much anymore.

A smart top box is a cool upgrade. Remote roof open/close.

Long term you might be dissapointed. A 180bhp 2 tonne diesel auto is no Boxster, but it's no money for a good looking convertible.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 16:24   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapcity1 View Post
... It's torque limited in the first two gears anyway, so no benefit from a remap in lower gears.
...FYI atleast 2 companies I know of are offering torque limiter disable option so it is doable, just how long this box will last its a different story
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 16:38   #5
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
...FYI atleast 2 companies I know of are offering torque limiter disable option so it is doable, just how long this box will last its a different story
Wow interesting!! Minutes I would guess!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 23:48   #6
Jonathank

Default Polestar upgrade

I just had a look on the Polestar website and they’re offering 25 horses and 22 torques (not so great) for the auto D5 but only after 2008. What happened then to allow them to be confident of the power increase because I figure if they’re doing it, it must be ok.

https://engineered.polestar.com/uk/p...8-fr-vin-49738
Jonathank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 08:20   #7
zapcity1

Good point. I think the D5 engine used the AW55-50 gearbox during its life in the C70. Maybe Clan could shed some light.